inexpensive crab pot

bohman

Anybody know where I can get an inexpensive pot? It's getting late in the season and I really need to steam some crabs soon. :drool: The only place I've had a chance to check is the Tackle Box on 235, and theirs were a bit more expensive than I was expecting - but I've never bought one before, so maybe theirs were just the going rate.

Thanks for any help.

mixallagist

Be careful what u wish 4
I know there is a place down on 249 somewhere that sells them. I'll get the number off of the sign when i go to work tonight and pm it to you.

D

dems4me

County_Boy said:
How much were they asking?

:yeahthat: I have a bunch I'm not using that are relatively brand new. I'm not using them and they are taking up space. I had bought them before realizing it was illegal to set these pots unless you have a pier or commercial license. Make me an offer??? :shrug: :huggy:

bohman

Lilypad said:
What ever happened to a chicken neck and a piece of string?? :whistle:

I wish I could do that, but no time. With a 9-month old at home, I rarely get the chance to go down to the dock this year, and if I do (like later this morning :yay: ) I'm going to cast off the dock lines and go sailing. It's a really tough choice, but sailing comes before eating crabs.

County Boy said:
How much were they asking?

30-something. I was a little confused, because there were 2 kinds out front, and the guy didn't differentiate between the two, so either they are both the same price or I just didn't ask for the right thing...

Dems, I'd give you $20 - That assumes that you don't live really far away from me to pick it up.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
:yeahthat: I have a bunch I'm not using that are relatively brand new. I'm not using them and they are taking up space. I had bought them before realizing it was illegal to set these pots unless you have a pier or commercial license. Make me an offer??? :shrug: :huggy:
Why does this NOT surprise me? :lmao:

D

dems4me

Ken King said:
Why does this NOT surprise me? :lmao:

I know Ken, but ya' live and learn:biggrin: One of my best friends that I've had for about 18 years always tells me "one of these days God is going to stop looking after you" :bonk: Luckily I'm a quick learner. :lol:

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
bohman said:
30-something. I was a little confused, because there were 2 kinds out front, and the guy didn't differentiate between the two, so either they are both the same price or I just didn't ask for the right thing...

That was the going rate when my rents bought them 10 years ago.

bohman

Lilypad said:

Yeah, yeah, I know, that statement is total sacriledge (sp?) to some. But I had a great time today, nice breeze and not too much traffic on the water considering how beautiful the weather was. Where's Airgasm, he'd back me up...

Still, it pained me to see all those big crabs hanging onto the docks, and in other people's pots. I gotta get one in the water soon.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bohman said:
Anybody know where I can get an inexpensive pot? It's getting late in the season and I really need to steam some crabs soon. :drool: The only place I've had a chance to check is the Tackle Box on 235, and theirs were a bit more expensive than I was expecting - but I've never bought one before, so maybe theirs were just the going rate.

Thanks for any help.
OOoh oooh oooh.

THis is an easy one..

They are EVERYWHERE>. Here I was being a good environmentalist.. thought I saw a piece of trash floating by the boat, so I picked it up.. an guess what? On the other end was a crab pot.. for FREE! I got rewarded for picking up litter floating in the Bay,, what a COOL incentive..

I must of seen THOUSANDS of them on the way up to the Navy Base from SMC, so there is a LOT of cleaning up to do... SO do your part to clean up the Bay and walla.. free crab pots!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bohman said:
Yeah, yeah, I know, that statement is total sacriledge (sp?) to some. But I had a great time today, nice breeze and not too much traffic on the water considering how beautiful the weather was. Where's Airgasm, he'd back me up...

Still, it pained me to see all those big crabs hanging onto the docks, and in other people's pots. I gotta get one in the water soon.
Ya should have been with us.. 10 hours to get to the base from SMC.. we were COOKING at 1 knot for awhile.. did fly a spinnaker for most of the day.. and BAKED in the sun!!

bohman

itsbob said:
Ya should have been with us.. 10 hours to get to the base from SMC.. we were COOKING at 1 knot for awhile.. did fly a spinnaker for most of the day.. and BAKED in the sun!!

Cool, I briefly went down to the SMC boathouse on Saturday, but our little peanut wasn't responding well to the heat so we didn't stay long. Did you sail in the race on Friday night? Which boat? I know a few of the people from the Wed. night racing in Solomons, I'm just curious.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bohman said:
Cool, I briefly went down to the SMC boathouse on Saturday, but our little peanut wasn't responding well to the heat so we didn't stay long. Did you sail in the race on Friday night? Which boat? I know a few of the people from the Wed. night racing in Solomons, I'm just curious.
Haven't done the Gov Cup yet, but have done the fall and spring frostbites.. and occaaaasionally the wednesday night races.

I'm always on a Navy boat, either the Alert of the Vigilant. Sunday I was on the Alert.

Agee

mixallagist said:
I know there is a place down on 249 somewhere that sells them. I'll get the number off of the sign when i go to work tonight and pm it to you.

I believe that's "Crustacean Catching Devices", on the right just past Cedar Cove Marina. Good guy, makes the traps himself.

bohman

Thanks again to everybody for all the input, and a big thanks to Unixpirate for providing the best price of all for a pot - free!

The pot went in the water yesterday, and yielded 3 legal sized crabs for me today. Made for a nice appetizer for dinner, and gave me some practice wrangling crabs out of the trap, into a bucket, and then into the steamer. All of which I have seen done, but not actually tried myself before.

Which leads me to another question: What is the best way to pick up/move crabs when they are still alive and fighting? My barbeque tongs did the trick tonight, but I wondered if anybody had a better way.

D

dems4me

bohman said:
Thanks again to everybody for all the input, and a big thanks to Unixpirate for providing the best price of all for a pot - free!

The pot went in the water yesterday, and yielded 3 legal sized crabs for me today. Made for a nice appetizer for dinner, and gave me some practice wrangling crabs out of the trap, into a bucket, and then into the steamer. All of which I have seen done, but not actually tried myself before.

Which leads me to another question: What is the best way to pick up/move crabs when they are still alive and fighting? My barbeque tongs did the trick tonight, but I wondered if anybody had a better way.

How long did it take you to catch 3 crabs?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
bohman said:
If I'm grabbing just one, I step on the claws and grab them by the back fin. If you need to move several at a time grab a pair of HEAVY insulated rubber gloves and start grabbing. :yay:

Agee

bohman said:

:howdy:

Did Gov Cup, 15 to 20, with gusts @ 25 out of the NE. Spinnaker run on the same tack all the way to Point no Point. Finished @ 4:30 am. A bit hairy at times, watch several boats broach, and some torn chutes. Ye-hahhhhhhhh.

Sunday was very nice, delivered the boat back from the college to Solomons.

Sail on brother! :cheers: