Good Fat vs Bad Fat

Terps

How healthy are yout? I am exercising as much as i can and i am trying to eat more good fats than bad fats. What do you guys do to minimize the bad fats and maximize the good fats? I'm looking into cooking with things like sunflower oil over canola, etc. What foods do you eat that are high in the good fats?

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Terps said:
How healthy are yout? I am exercising as much as i can and i am trying to eat more good fats than bad fats. What do you guys do to minimize the bad fats and maximize the good fats? I'm looking into cooking with things like sunflower oil over canola, etc. What foods do you eat that are high in the good fats?

I try to minimize fat in general. I don't cook fried food at home and reduced the amount of frie food I eat when I go out. But I'm not a food nazi.

Aside from that, exercise, exercise, EXERCISE! If you'e working out on a regular (and frequent) basis you can get away with murder in a diet. :)

warneckutz

Good Fats...

Most nuts have healthy fats, except for pecans (somewhat healthy but the trade-off isn't the best). Extra Virgin Olive Oil is another. You can also buy healthy fats, fish oils and MCT oil. MCT is pretty crazy since it's a fat that can help "burn" fat. I know a few guys that have used it with a lot of success. CytoSport includes it in their Muscle Milk proteins.
FLAX oil is also another good choice. Remember, fats (especially the healthy ones) are a good source of energy.

Last edited:

Terps

Lugnut said:
I try to minimize fat in general. I don't cook fried food at home and reduced the amount of frie food I eat when I go out. But I'm not a food nazi.

Aside from that, exercise, exercise, EXERCISE! If you'e working out on a regular (and frequent) basis you can get away with murder in a diet. :)

I am not a nazi either. I do exercise a good bit but sometimes losing 5-8 lbs is harder than a bunch of weight i feel. I am trying to change just some things to get over this little hump. For instance, when i want chips i eat lays made with sunflower oil because they arent as unhealthy. I am upping my exercise and trying to add good fats to my diet. Nothing too crazy, just needed some suggestions.

basher

LEET
Stay away from the Trans Fats totally......also anything partially hydrogenated.....that turns good stuff into bad stuff.

cook everything in olive oil, it's good for you......

Mikeinsmd

Lugnut said:
I try to minimize fat in general. I don't cook fried food at home and reduced the amount of frie food I eat when I go out. But I'm not a food nazi. Aside from that, exercise, exercise, EXERCISE! If you'e working out on a regular (and frequent) basis you can get away with murder in a diet. :)
:yeahthat: And do not eat before going to bed. It's amazing how many people eat late dinners and complain they can't lose weight. The food sits in your stomach and is converted to fat because your metabolism is resting.

Big breakfast, big lunch (or groups of small healthy meals through the day) and nothing to minimal eats after 6:00pm. :yay:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
basher said:
Stay away from the Trans Fats totally......also anything partially hydrogenated.....that turns good stuff into bad stuff.

cook everything in olive oil, it's good for you......
:yeahthat:

Well, I can tell you, based on what has worked for me is getting back to basics.. We use butter, not margarine (not even the trans free, altered crap)

We use olive oil primarily - or sesame/peanut if stir-frying. I avoid processed carbs - starches and sugars, which readily turn to fat if not utilized.

I consume nuts - pine, almonds, walnuts, peanuts and sunflower seeds - on a regular, daily basis.

Most of our dressings contain no sugar, are low carb, but have a mid-fat range.

Animal fat is not bad for you, but that doesn't mean you need the extra grissle or coat it and fry it. I do put EVOO on most of my meats and sear them with seasoning before finishing them in the oven to make them extra juicy.

Cheeses and bacon are okay, just not a lot - too heavy or too salty and too many preservatives (at least for my taste)

All natural peanut butter is a winner, if you were to ask me!

Food combos - nuts and berries, PB and apples, steak and salad, fruit and cheese, etc... all compliment and utilize the fat efficiently.

Every week, I eat chops, steak, chicken, roast, fish and so on... Always with greens and fruit... Old fashioned fat with good stuff from the earth.

My bloodwork has reflected positively my choices as my HDLs - the good cholesterol is well above the normal range - which "are associated with reduced cardiac risk"...

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
There was a show on P.B.S. last night about this subject.
If you go to http://www.pbs.org/ and look at the schedule for
Real Age Makeover with Dr. Micheal F. Roizen. I think he covered all of this and then some.
It was on late last night (had to be 12 or after) but I'm sure they'll repeat it.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
Lugnut said:

Listen to Lugnut! Exercise is great especially if you go in the morning, because you have the remainder of the day to eat (mostly) what you want without tons of guilt :yay:

bcp

In My Opinion
Good fat is on somebody elses wife.
bad fat is on yours.

any other questions that you have, feel free to ask me.

I do this because I care.