the pursuit of nature

I am new to southern maryland and I was wondering why everyone seems like they are a redneck.... i mean maybe i just came from a city where being a gay vegetarian with interests in communism, animal rights, and all things liberal and free was cool... it just doesn't seem so cool around here though..

anybody got any thoughts on where i am going wrong, or is it just always like this around here...

EL1

There are some that are more progressive than others, but for the most part, you’ve hit the nail on the head.  Fortunately, not everybody here is a redneck.  As for the communist part, you probably won’t find many, if any.

mancrazy

Well Helllloooo answer to my dreams.  :yum:  I usually only come in as a guest, but when I saw your post honey, I just had to come in for a chat.

Let me tell you what, if you want to have any fun, you best head right back to which ever city it was that you just came in from.  I can speak from personal experience that living in Southern Maryland is like a death sentence for those who want to date.   Trust me, whenever I want to have a little something for dessert, I just go on over to DC.  

I don't know about everyone being a red neck... but you can sure see some red faces, especially when they find out I used to be a man.  :blushing:   (it usually doesn't take too long to figure that out... especially if I get excited)  

Anyway, don't let these people bother you none...  some of them are just a little closed off from the rest of the world.  

Where did you come from anyway honey?

I just came from San Francisco.....and i have to admit it seems a bit of a culture shock.... it seems like everyone here is a great white hunter.... you know one of those good ole boys' squirrel huntin and kicking their dogs in their wife beater shirts...and then sitting down on the porch for a swig o the moonshine..

I mean i knew Maryland was south of the mason dixon line, but i never really classed it as the south...

by the way are there any vegan restaurants around here ?

mancrazy

VEGAN??? Ha! :lmao:  You must be kidding!  

No, there aren't even any vegetarian restaurants within 50 miles.  There are several vegan restaurants in Baltimore, and loads of vegetarian/vegan restaurants in DC.

If you try to go out to eat anywhere down here, you had better bring a bag lunch with you.  Or, order a salad.  Even then it is not safe, because 9 times out of 10, they will smother it with eggs or bacon... :barf:

Whatcha doing down here honey?  San Fran get to boring for ya?!  :wink:

(Edited by mancrazy at 1:26 pm on April 26, 2002)

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
(Well, now that we know Silly Girl's feelings on the topic...)

If you're looking for some more progressive entertainment and such, St. Mary's College usually has some interesting plays and performances. I believe their dining hall often offers vegan and vegetarian options (it's not fancy-shmancy, but it would be a neat place to do lunch on the weekend). But among the general population, things are a tad more "traditional".

Hey, when you get sick of living in Southern Maryland, I'm trying to figure out ways to move down to Key West, you should jump on board! :)

Christy

b*tch rocket
You know, why is it perfectly acceptable in your mind to spew inflamatory bigotted diatribe such as  "you know one of those good ole boys' squirrel huntin and kicking their dogs in their wife beater shirts...and then sitting down on the porch for a swig o the moonshine.. " ?  and then proclaim to be "open"?!  As we are all simply "closed off from the rest of the world".  I think not!  If you expect people to have any respect for either of you, then show some in return.  

(Edited by Christy at 2:58 pm on April 26, 2002)

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I think it was tongue-in-cheek... I'm sure he is aware there are just as many negative stereotypes about the folks he's used to. It was worded a tad ambiguously, though.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bobby and ManCrazy, if it's any consolation to you, a typical Southern Marylander would feel the same way about San Fran or any other big city - "Is that all they have is this town - a bunch of queer commies who don't eat meat?"  Welcome to America, where there are as many cultures as there are communities!

a gay vegetarian with interests in communism, animal rights, and all things liberal and free was cool... it just doesn't seem so cool around here though..
You're right - none of those things are considered cool around here.  Much like a person who hunts, smokes, has a traditional family and votes Republican wouldn't be considered cool in San Francisco.  Funny how that works, huh?

What on Earth brought you here, anyway?  Must be a job because it certainly can't be the lifestyle.  Anyway, there are people in the area with your same interests but they're few and far between.  Try Baltimore or DC.

DarbyOhara

Musician
Appears to me like some clowns just wanna see if they can pull your pony tails and get your dandruff going..... Looks like they are succeeding!

Ignore this/these BOZO's and betcha this thread will die.....

(Edited by DarbyOhara at 3:19 pm on April 26, 2002)

mancrazy

Sxy  - Thanks for that... I was wondering if anyone would notice my keen sense of humor.  :lol:   Sorry for the delay in responding.  Computer on the crap.

S

ShellyCW

Welcome Bobby :smile:
I felt a bit out of place when I moved here 2-3 years ago--I'm a former big city gal (Wilkes-Barre, PA :roflmao:).  However, I feel less welcome on St. Mary's campus than I do in the community at large.  Southern Marylanders may not be what you're used to, but they tend to be pretty friendly.

mancrazy

DarbyOhara on 3:18 pm on April 26, 2002[br]Appears to me like some clowns just wanna see if they can pull your pony tails and get your dandruff going..... Looks like they are succeeding!

Ignore this/these BOZO's and betcha this thread will die.....

(Edited by DarbyOhara at 3:19 pm on April 26, 2002)

How RUDE.   I never pull anyone's hair without permission.  Actually it is generally a request.  Right after I finish :spank:  

And I certainly am not a clown.  I don't even like clowns, Especially Bozo.  All that hair... scary makeup.  Ugh.  Gives me shivers just thinking of it.

I admit, I was a bit over the top in my response to Bobby, but all for a laugh.  It's lonely around here, it was nice to see someone that sounded like the kind of person I would like to get to know...  :wink:

SxyPrincess

ManCrazy,

Well, well...Ziegfields is in DC next to "Wet."  They have drag shows on the weekends and nude boy-toy, go-go dancers in the back room.  Such a lovely place!!!