Abnormal EKG - Long QT

kerriellen

Had an EKG for a routine physical yesterday. Doctor said my QT interval was long (not too much out of the normal range), but with family history (maternal grandfather with heart attacks) he is concerned. He has referred me to a cardiologist for tests. I go next week.

Anyone familiar with this? BTW, I am 39, female, and in very good physical condition (exercise 6 days per week, normal weight, no other medical conditions.)

Kerri

citysherry

I Need a Beer
kerriellen said:
Had an EKG for a routine physical yesterday. Doctor said my QT interval was long (not too much out of the normal range), but with family history (maternal grandfather with heart attacks) he is concerned. He has referred me to a cardiologist for tests. I go next week.

Anyone familiar with this? BTW, I am 39, female, and in very good physical condition (exercise 6 days per week, normal weight, no other medical conditions.)

Kerri

Sounds like an FLB to me - nothing to worry about.

Lilypad

kerriellen said:

Kerri
Was it a 12 lead or 4 lead EKG? What was the length of the QT wave?
Lots of things affect your EKG-could be something a simple as electrolyte balance!

kerriellen

Lilypad said:
Was it a 12 lead or 4 lead EKG? What was the length of the QT wave?
Lots of things affect your EKG-could be something a simple as electrolyte balance!

It was a 12 lead EKG. The QT was 460 according to the copy of the EKG the doctor gave me. He did mention the electrolyte balance and in addition to the standard bloodwork for the physical he ran a magnesium, potassium, and thyroid level tests.

If it is an electrolyte imbalance, do I have to take medication to balance?