340 4-bbl carb?

bigtw34

Does anyone know of anywhere I can find a 340 4-barrel Carburetor? I know they are hard to find, but if anyone has any information on where I could locate one, I'd appreciate it.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
bigtw34 said:
Does anyone know of anywhere I can find a 340 4-barrel Carburetor? I know they are hard to find, but if anyone has any information on where I could locate one, I'd appreciate it.

Have you tried the Summit catalog

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
bigtw34 said:

check your pm'er. Boss gave me a number for you to call. Great guy, he should be able to help,

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
bigtw34 said:

I'm not familiar with 340's but Jegs carries 390CFM holley carbs for about $300.

T

tikipirate

I believe production 340s were equipped with a single Carter AFB or AVS. The Thermo-Quad was an aftermarket carb which may be what you have on your motor.

Edelbrock markets repro Carter carbs, manufactured by Weber USA.

So, what are we talking here? My fantasy/nightmare would be a 340 Duster painted in 'Plum Crazy' with flat black hood panels and R/T stripes. Big-azz bright-yellow Lakewood ladder bars to tame the axle tramp and windup that is the natural product of horsepower, a solid rear axle, and leaf springs.

Sooo... Whatcha got?

Last edited by a moderator:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
When I was a mechanic back in the '70s, I hated the Thermo-quad. The center section was made of Bakelite, and either it or the top and bottom aluminum sections would warp and leak, and the internal parts would stick.

The quadra-jet was a nice carburetor, as I recall.

More problematic (at least potentially) was the Holley "double pumper" which featured two bowls and accellerator pumps. It was the radical carb of choice for hot rodders at the time.