C++ anyone?

Y

yornoc

Anyone on here knows C++ and can recommend a good book for beginners? Preferably one that comes with a compiler.

HDmd86

There are many beginner books out there, here are two suggestions by author:

Deitel & Deitel - C++ How to Program
Bruce Eckel - Thinking in C++ (available online)

If you decide you're going to be serious about programming in C++, then after you've invested in one of the above books, you might also look at these authors:

Bjarne Stroustrup - The C++ Programming Language
Nicolai M. Josuttis - The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
Scott Myers - Effective C++

The above books can provide a good foundation of knowledge of C++, provided you are 'hands-on' and complement your study by writing actual code - nothing beats experience. Of course, it is one thing to know how to program in C++/Java/VB, it is another thing to know how to design good software.

G

giggles04

I agree with HDmd86... the first two books listed have helped me understand the language so much.... and hopefully they will do the same for you! Good luck with your programming!:)

Y

yornoc

HDmd86 and giggles04,

Thanks to you both! I guess I'll check out the prices on half.com:cheers: :dude: :guitar:

Can you tell I'm happy?

G

giggles04

Have fun with the C++..... I find it an interesting adventure everytime I sit down in front of my computer and program. I can't wait to try and get work done on my new laptop!:D

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by yornoc
HDmd86 and giggles04,

Thanks to you both! I guess I'll check out the prices on half.com:cheers: :dude: :guitar:

Can you tell I'm happy?

I am kinda curious.... why don't you check out the local library for books? I don't know C++ that well, but I have been a C programmer (self taught) for years, but when I decided to start learning, I went to the public library and started there... of course, I found later, once you get the basic knowledge of the principles and structures, find online tutorials... or download amd analyze written programs and compile them.. debug till you pull your hair out... debug and debug... get that program working... this is better than any book can provide you... it is excellent hands-on... another excellent source is the alt. news groups. Some of the best of the best hang out there....

One other thing... many people in the 80's suggested I learn basic C before moving to C++... I don't recommend this at all... C and C++ are night and day for learning purposes. If you want C++, start with that. I am stuck in the old C world and prolly will always remain there....

Y

yornoc

Originally posted by DarbyOhara
One other thing... many people in the 80's suggested I learn basic C before moving to C++... I don't recommend this at all... C and C++ are night and day for learning purposes. If you want C++, start with that. I am stuck in the old C world and prolly will always remain there....

Thanks Darby! I don't know why, but the library is usually the last place I think about... :duh: go figure!

...I did check half.com but now, I'm off to the library! :cheers:

G

giggles04

Good Luck on your search! I hope you find what you're looking for!