ANY single 35+ men in Calvert Co.?

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
After being a resident of Calvert Co. for 2 years, I have YET to meet a SINGLE man 35-45 years old! Anyone have any suggestions on where to go to meet people? Are there any single groups in the county, or "outdoor activity" clubs that HAVE singles (i.e. hiking, sailing, etc.)? I'm really not into the bar scene (although will go with a group!) – there's just GOT to be a better way!

I read an earlier thread about guys in So. Md. trying to meeting single women, so I guess we're all out there with no way to meet! Someone mentioned the library?? I've been there LOTS, but have only met seniors (70+) and students (-21)!

Y

yornoc

Grocery store, county fair (only once per year), Tiki bar (early afternoon and NEVER on open day), church/church functions, soft ball, cycle club, running club, boat shows...

No promises... just possibilities

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Thanks, Yornoc, for your many suggestions...I do frequent the grocery store, so I'll keep lurking in the "sports-viewing snack" aisles waiting for Mr. Perfect to sweep me off my feet! LOL! I have gone to the county fair both years, with my teenage daughter and her friends, and had a GREAT time, but don't see how you could actually meet someone there... Perhaps I could try to pick up a single dad in the 4H project area like: "My, those are the most well-groomed nubian goats I have EVER seen! Your child must have spent HOURS with the Zooma Groom to get their coats SO nice and shiny!" LOL!

Actually, I've heard so much about the Tiki Bar, that I'll just HAVE to check it out! Is it in Solomons Is.?

As for you, Frank...it's amazing how the smart a** gene can be detected from a measly four-word reply...(grin)

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Oh....I thought the "Any in Calvert? Yep" implied "(me, raising hand)" but that's just me I guess.

But the a**hole gene remark is probably spot on......

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Hi Frank!

...and I just thought you were being sarcastic...

I guess it's just my OWN cynical sarcasm jumping to conclusions...and by the way, the term was "smart a**" NOT "a**hole" – the latter implying that you're obnoxious, and former implying that you're overly-witty...(which is at least amusing!)

So which of the following categories of single men (from my limited exposure!) in southern Maryland do you fit into:

• working tobacco farmer (keeps wad in cheek at all times)
• martyred/depressed drunk/pain killer addict (unreliable and emotionally numb)
• transient air force guy from PAX (just in it for the sex)
• embittered/angry divorced guy (hates his ex and resents his child support)
• empassioned born-again Baptist (keeps giving you those annoying cartoon flyers)
• relocated/self-absorbed YUPPY (just trying to "get away from it all" in the country)
• self-employed/tax evading "I-only-take-cash" landscaper (someone's got to mow all this land!)

And yes, I have met representatives from all the categories listed above...(sigh)
If you can think of other examples to add to the list, feel free!

Otter

Nothing to see here
I think Sierra was just giving a tongue-in-cheek reply...I didn't see any harm in it, thought it was funny..

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Otter was correct! (Thanks for coming to my "rescue!") My answer was solely intended to be "tongue-in-cheek" and not as a serious bashing of the men in the county! LOL! As I stated, "my limited exposure" is TRULY limited, although the categories are based on actual characters that I have met in the past two years in the county (who will remain nameless, even though they are NOT innocent!).

I also know alot of really nice farmers who don't chew (all MARRIED, including most of my neighbors, and several of my good friends), and alot of GREAT guys (NOT single!) who are divorced and don't hate their exes, and several really nice contractors who do report ALL their income on their taxes...and...

... I have never been accused by my friends of being bitter (LOL!) – I just have a twisted, sarcastic sense of humor (from reading the Far Side, laughing at Howard Stern, and watching too many Simpsons re-runs to count...) If anything, I try to find the humor in most situations, including my own attempts at dating...because all my close friends know that I am a true WEIRDO MAGNET...in fact, the magnetic pull is SO strong that I even have been known to attract OUT-OF-STATE weirdos...

...so please try to laugh, cattitude! And by the way, I like you already, because you obviously like cats...I have a whole herd of cats at home (6) some indoor, some outdoor/indoor. All have their own unique personality, and some even have a twisted sense of humor, too... :)

DarbyOhara

Musician
Sorry.... but I just couldn't resist in jumping in here!  :eek:

My first comment is.... Sierra39, I just seen a post (or reply) by you on another thread and your pic icon was the same as mine... A MAN!  Are we being a little fuzzy on here?  Anyone else notice that?  Hmmmm....

Sierra39 on 3:11 pm on April 9, 2002[br]Otter was correct! (Thanks for coming to my "rescue!") My answer was solely intended to be "tongue-in-cheek" and not as a serious bashing of the men in the county! LOL! As I

Actually, you may be right in alot of what you stated in your list... but believe me.. there is just as long a list for the females too!

stated, "my limited exposure" is TRULY limited, although the categories are based on actual characters that I have met in the past two years in the county (who will remain nameless, even though they are NOT innocent!).

I'd like to hear their side of things....  I have a lady and I am in love.. but I had many years of a journey seeking her...  I am sure you will hear all kinds of tales from both sides.....

... I have never been accused by my friends of being bitter (LOL!) – I just have a twisted, sarcastic sense of humor (from reading the Far Side, laughing at Howard Stern, and watching too many Simpsons re-runs to

Perhaps you are bitter... or maybe frustrated?  Here is my suggestion... don't look desperate and turn around and look conceited.  I really don't believe your statement that you met NO single guys in Calvert Co, your statement should read, I haven't met a single guy I like here!

Another insider, from a man's view... guys that are in their 40's don't want to play the high school dating routine.  I am 44, so I know what it's like!  Single women push too hard, too much for this (fingers-waving) Date thing.  Why not just hang out and see where things go?  What's your hobbies?  Like to sail?  TONS of guys around the sailing areas and I am sure many are single and looking....  Just maybe you'll have to lower your standards a bit and quite looking for Mr Perfect... cause he ISN'T OUT THERE!

...so please try to laugh, cattitude! And by the way, I like you already, because you obviously like cats...I have a whole herd of cats at home (6) some indoor, some outdoor/indoor. All have their own unique personality, and some even have a twisted sense of humor, too... :)

Cats?  Herd?   Sheesh.. and you wonder why you can't meet guys?  :lmao:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Trouble with posting on these boards, people are always misunderstood.  I was just giving another side of the coin, my observations.  Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

DarbyOhara

Musician
cattitude on 9:25 am on April 10, 2002[br]Trouble with posting on these boards, people are always misunderstood.  I was just giving another side of the coin, my observations.  Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

You just need to put more inflection into your typing cat.....  and I take serious offense to your tag line..... :cussing:

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
"Sorry.... but I just couldn't resist in jumping in here!  :eek:"

Saw some of your interesting posts on other threads and just KNEW you wouldn't be able to resist...

"your pic icon was the same as mine... A MAN!  Are we being a little fuzzy on here?  Anyone else notice that?  Hmmmm...."

Last time I checked, I was a woman...but perhaps I was a man in a past life, because I think breaking wind is funny,  am fascinated by power tools, and really get turned on by the smell of freshly-cut wood at the lumberyard...

"I really don't believe your statement that you met NO single guys in Calvert Co, your statement should read, I haven't met a single guy I like here!"

Of course saying there are NO single guys in Calvert Co. is a gross overstatement...and yes, the few single guys I HAVE met were NOT dating material even by my recently-lowered standards! In fact, there would be no "their side of the story" because we didn't even get past the acquaintance stage...LOL! (And I'm sure that even Catitude, for all her support of the guys in this county, would have run screaming in the opposite direction after the first 15 minutes!)

Remember that these "acquaintances" were spread out over the 2 years I've been here – contrary to your quick assumption, I have not been "pushing" anyone, and/or "desperately" seeking a date, a relationship, or whatever. My life, like most other people I know, is already extremely full – I work full time and single-parent my teenage daughter (who is a HANDFUL!) We own 2 horses and do the Pony Club thing, so that pretty much takes up most of my free time! I have a small circle of near and dear friends to socialize with, so I'm not a hermit...I just am ready to open myself up to the POSSIBILITY of a relationship by expanding my social life. If it happens, great; if not, then it's not the right time.

"Just maybe you'll have to lower your standards a bit and quite looking for Mr Perfect... cause he ISN'T OUT THERE!"

Came to that conclusion many years ago, and if I lower my standards any more, they'll be subterranean...don't believe in "Mr. Perfect," either...just want someone with a good sense of humor, likes kids and animals, zest for life, reasonably intelligent, and no MAJOR hangups. (or is that asking too much??)

"Cats?  Herd?   Sheesh.. and you wonder why you can't meet guys?"

My house usually has a "herd" of teenagers in it, too...(SHEESH!) At least I keep my litterboxes clean! (And if he can't deal with helping muck out horse stalls on occasion, forget it...) And did I mention that we also have 2 dogs, 2 rabbits, and a snake?? (SHEESH!)

So, perhaps I'm setting myself up for failure, because there ARE no single men out there who want to deal with all the stuff that is in my life/house...and if that's the case, then I guess I should just forget about it and one day I'll be one of those neurotic old ladies who die in their house and get eaten by their starving pets...LOL!

And to think that this whole discussion just started with the simple question of where to meet single guys in Calvert Co....(grin! chuckle! snort!)

(Edited by Sierra39 at 1:07 pm on April 10, 2002)

DarbyOhara

Musician
Saw some of your interesting posts on other threads and just KNEW you wouldn't be able to resist...

This is ENTRAPMENT!!!   :mrt:    ....lol

Last time I checked, I was a woman...but perhaps I was a man in a past life, because I think breaking wind is funny,  am fascinated by power tools, and really get turned on by the smell of freshly-cut wood at the lumberyard...

No seriously, L@@K at your icon in the previous reply... on my computer here... it is the same icon as mine!!!!!!!!

Came to that conclusion many years ago, and if I lower my standards any more, they'll be subterranean...don't believe in "Mr. Perfect," either...just want someone with a good sense of humor, likes kids and animals, zest for life, reasonably intelligent, and no MAJOR hangups. (or is that asking too much??)

No.. that's not asking too much... but if you add a few lines in there like "I will always promise to run to the fridge for 'his' beer"  or "I will never have a headache when he wants sex"  or  "I will never spend money unless I consult his majesty"  (I think this is extremely appealing.. lol) or "my thoughts or opinions will always be kept to myself until I am summoned for them".... lol  and I could think of a few x-rated ones... lol  NO!  I AM JOKING!  actually, those qualities you listed ARE quite reasonable AS LONG as there aren't hidden factors (which I presume there are).... like.. on top of all that, he MUST resemble my favorite actor.. or his baldness isn't the problem, it's his breath........  lol

My house usually has a "herd" of teenagers in it, too...(SHEESH!) At least I keep my litterboxes clean! (And if he can't deal with helping muck out horse stalls on occasion, forget it...) And did I mention that we also have 2 dogs, 2 rabbits, and a snake?? (SHEESH!)

That does it!  You mention work and I ain't helpin ya find one...  lol  I got an idea... shove the kids and animals out to the stables with the horses so whenever the meter man, water man or mail man comes over... they'll  see you're alone...... see if that works!... lol

So, perhaps I'm setting myself up for failure, because there ARE no single men out there who want to deal with all the stuff that is in my life/house...and if that's the case, then I guess I should just forget about it and one day I'll be one of those neurotic old ladies who die in their house and get eaten by their starving pets...LOL!

Well, know what I think and believe?  There are tons of them out there l@@king for you.... unfortunately they are all sitting at home watching the kids, cleaning the horse stalls and/or they are always in the soap detergent aisle when you are in the pet food aisle... lol  Seriously, "HE" is out there... you may have to make some sacrifices in your busy schedule to find him... you about made me :bawl: with that last statement... lol  

And to think that this whole discussion just started with the simple question of where to meet single guys in Calvert Co....(grin! chuckle! snort!)

And the answer is?  try a different county.....  (whew.. I almost typed country).. :lmao:  

Sierra, but actually, know what my one-year older sister use to tell me when I was in my search a few years ago?  Don't give up, but give up looking.... cause you're gonna find someone when you least expect it and you stop looking... guess what... she was right!

No GO clean the stables and get off the computer!   lol

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Well I'll be gosh darned...we BOTH are old guys that look alot like Gandalf! Does that mean I've FINALLY found my evil twin?? LOL! How do they determine your icon, anyway?? Do they scan your brain via the internet?? (Or perhaps it's one of those internet "cameras" that "takes" your picture when you click on the little button...and a monkey comes up!)

You are a HOOT to chat with...lots of insight, too, in spite of some of your mercilessly- scathing comments...

Now that you mention it, I'll have to add good oral – hygiene – to my list of expectations... (grin!) and in return, I will try NOT to have a headache! (Now running for the beer is a stretch – unless I want one, too!)

Believe me – I've tried throwing the menagerie in the barn, but they always manage to escape and make it back to the house before I get a chance to snag the propane man...of course lately they've been sending me the 60-year-old with missing teeth and saggy-bottom britches. Word must've gotten out that I'm DESPERATE!!!! ARRGGHH!!!!

DarbyOhara

Musician
Well I'll be gosh darned...we BOTH are old guys that look alot like Gandalf! Does that mean I've FINALLY found my evil twin?? LOL! How do they determine your icon, anyway?? Do they scan your brain via the internet?? (Or perhaps it's one of those internet "cameras" that "takes" your picture when you click on the little button...and a monkey comes up!)

Well, at least it wasn't the x-rated icon of a man, naked, reaching for an apple off the apple tree....  :lol:  and besides.. Gandalf was cool!  Go into your profile and change it or you're gonna get LOTS of people thinking we know each other and we set this all up!  ;)

You are a HOOT to chat with...lots of insight, too, in spite of some of your mercilessly- scathing comments...

and with a face only a mother could love  :bandit:

Now that you mention it, I'll have to add good oral – hygiene – to my list of expectations... (grin!) and in return, I will try NOT to have a headache! (Now running for the beer is a stretch – unless I want one, too!)

Hmmm.. ok, so he can be toothless!  Where's my cousin Jethro's phone number.... lol

me – I've tried throwing the menagerie in the barn, but they always manage to escape and make it back to the house before I get a chance to snag the propane man...of course lately they've been sending me the 60-year-old with missing teeth and saggy-bottom britches. Word must've gotten out that I'm DESPERATE!!!! ARRGGHH!!!!

Was that last thursday in Calvert county?  the house with the pile of kids running all over and the horse manure tracked all over the kitchen floor?  THAT WAS ME!!!!  Dangit... and I really thought you fell for me  :bawl:  You're gonna have to produce your own GAS next time!  lol

Otter

Nothing to see here
Sierra39 on 2:04 pm on April 10, 2002[br]Now that you mention it, I'll have to add good oral – hygiene – to my list of expectations...

Hmmmm..another tongue-in-cheek remark???

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Hey! It's Otter! My knight in shining armor – saver of the Newbies! Where've you been??  Otter – a quiet man of few words, yet oddly profound in his simplicity...

Yes, the tongue-in-cheek remarks are running rampant here – I've recently been diagnosed with tongue-in-cheek disease, and it's a hopeless case...I guess you guys just bring out the "tongue" in me...(or the cheek, depending on the comment!)

So DO tell...is your handle "Otter" because you like being in/around the water, or is it because you're like the character in "Animal House?"

Also, just out of curiosity, would having a "herd" (or two) in the house keep you from dating someone??? Now Darby has me paranoid that ALL men will find my lifestyle repulsive! (Us women are SO sensitive, ain't we?)

DARBY – You know, I thought I recognized your rapier wit from SOMEWHERE...dangit, I DID fall for you! I even thought you were HOT! All you needed was a nice belt to hold up those droopy drawers...If you want, you can come on over to my place and help me mop the manure off the kitchen floor – I KNOW you want to!!! Then I'll drag you into the living room and roll you all over the floor, cause I KNOW how much you LOVE the feel of cat hair on your bare skin!!! (LOL!!!)

DarbyOhara

Musician
Hey! It's Otter! My knight in shining armor – saver of the Newbies! Where've you been??  Otter – a quiet man of few words, yet oddly profound in his simplicity...

DARBY – You know, I thought I recognized your rapier wit from SOMEWHERE...dangit, I DID fall for you! I even thought you were HOT! All you needed was a nice belt to hold up those droopy drawers...If you want, you can come on over to my place and help me mop the manure off the kitchen floor – I KNOW you want to!!! Then I'll drag you into the living room and roll you all over the floor, cause I KNOW how much you LOVE the feel of cat hair on your bare skin!!! (LOL!!!)

Heck no!  Looks like you and Otter are hitting it off pretty good!  I just hope he has a sense of humour when it comes to a herd of kids, a flock of horses and manure-smelling Rice Krispies in da morning.... lol  Besides, those was me best pair of werkin slacks I put on, just to impress you!  They worked on my 2nd wife when I met her in '39'!

Ok Sierra, I can tell you are really desperate... I'll find ya a date!  Give me your height, weight, eye and hair color, your social security number, your last bank statement, the balances of all your credit cards, your finger print sheet (if available), you latest medical examination (within the past year), your drivers license number, your latest pay voucher, your union card number AND all your married names you acquired within the last 10 years....  It will be tough, but it can be done....  ;)

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Hey Darby! SHEESH! If I have to fill out a 10-page application, forget it...LOL! Unless, of course, the man you have in mind is worth all the paperwork??? Sounds suspiciously like a mortgage application, to me – are you a loan officer, perchance??? (maybe a "flesh" broker...)

And Otter is staying out of the discussion, so I guess he doesn't love me anymore :bawl: I think it was the "manure-smelling" Rice Krispies that scared him away! (Or maybe the rolling naked in the cat hair??)

DarbyOhara

Musician
Sierra39 on 12:02 pm on April 11, 2002[br]Hey Darby! SHEESH! If I have to fill out a 10-page application, forget it...LOL! Unless, of course, the man you have in mind is worth all the paperwork??? Sounds suspiciously like a mortgage application, to me – are you a loan officer, perchance??? (maybe a "flesh" broker...)

Sierra!  actually I was gonna pass that information out in the Sheet's gas station bathroom.  :biggrin: There's got to be a few prospects to come your way.  We could screen them one at a time and see if there's a close match to Mr Right.... (remember, we both agree Mr Right doesn't exist)

And Otter is staying out of the discussion, so I guess he doesn't love me anymore :bawl: I think it was the "manure-smelling" Rice Krispies that scared him away! (Or maybe the rolling naked in the cat hair??)

He probably is actually that gas man... and he won't admit it!  :bubble: