Biltmore Estate

Have you ever been there? I'm thinking about making a day trip there while we're in TN later this month. It'll be a 2-hour drive. It is worth the drive?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I would LOVE to go there! Although, it is much different than European castles.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Speedy70 said:
Have you ever been there? I'm thinking about making a day trip there while we're in TN later this month. It'll be a 2-hour drive. It is worth the drive?
My dad lives near there, but I've never been, it's too expensive. :lmao: My aunt and uncle (mom's side) went to see it a few days ago and ended up buying a house. :jameo:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
We went there a few years back. I loved it, it was beautiful, but we took two little ones who were less than impressed. They have a nice winery too, but we had two little ones and couldn't take full advantage of that either. :ohwell:

I love old houses and I thought it was cool, even with the kids.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
fttrsbeerwench said:
My girl Tammy went a few years ago and spent about 2500 dollars on a two night stay:yikes:....

It's thoroughly posh:diva:

You can go during Christmas week for $1k for two nights in a nice size room. Includes breakfast, tours, nighttime Christmas lighting, and dinner each night. :yay:

Oh, and it figures we're going at their most expensive time of the year...$44.00 per adult. I may have to talk hubby into this one. :jameo:

wunsent

If you enjoy castles and looking at larger homes, go to Biltmore! I've been there twice, and alot had changed between the two visits (10 years apart). I personally thinks it's a great place to see as there's nothing else like it in the region. And keep in mind the admission is higher becuase it's a private residence. I don't think they get any public money.

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
Speedy70 said:
If going to the estate is too much money, just got see Ashville. It is beautiful there. Grandfather Mountain is a great place to visit. It has a wildlife perserve on it. Mountain lions, Bears, Eagles....

If you stay there for dinner eat at Provence 620, Hubby and I stayed for a weekend and ordered out, they will bring your food to your hotel. We spent about $50 and had way too much food but it was wonderful!!!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It is beautiful! Wear your walking shoes. The house is remarkable from indoor swimming pools and bowling alleys to an indoor atrium, the library makes me drool and so on. The outdoor grounds are amazing as well, complete with artwork, statues, mazes, gazebo and private pond. They have places to eat as well, a little pricey, but I found it wonderful and enough to fuel my fantasies for quite a while. You can also visit the winery and the diary. Ice cream and wine. Yum. The architecture was amazing, the beauty and richness of not only the location but the house and contents just astounded me. The history of the area and times was neat too. If I remember correctly, when the Vanderbilts built the Biltmore House, they were also responsible for starting a branch similiar to the forestry service (which didn't exist) to preserve the area. Gorgeous.

migtig said:
It is beautiful! Wear your walking shoes. The house is remarkable from indoor swimming pools and bowling alleys to an indoor atrium, the library makes me drool and so on. The outdoor grounds are amazing as well, complete with artwork, statues, mazes, gazebo and private pond. They have places to eat as well, a little pricey, but I found it wonderful and enough to fuel my fantasies for quite a while. You can also visit the winery and the diary. Ice cream and wine. Yum. The architecture was amazing, the beauty and richness of not only the location but the house and contents just astounded me. The history of the area and times was neat too. If I remember correctly, when the Vanderbilts built the Biltmore House, they were also responsible for starting a branch similiar to the forestry service (which didn't exist) to preserve the area. Gorgeous.

I told my hubby this morning how much it'll cost. He was like :jameo: . :lol:

I hope we can go, I hear it is amazing.

Somdmommy said:
If going to the estate is too much money, just got see Ashville. It is beautiful there. Grandfather Mountain is a great place to visit. It has a wildlife perserve on it. Mountain lions, Bears, Eagles....

If you stay there for dinner eat at Provence 620, Hubby and I stayed for a weekend and ordered out, they will bring your food to your hotel. We spent about $50 and had way too much food but it was wonderful!!!

We've already got our hotel in Pigeon Forge. I just wanted to make a day trip to Biltmore. I've never heard of Grandfather Mtn though. I'll check into it, thanks!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Speedy70 said:
We've already got our hotel in Pigeon Forge. I just wanted to make a day trip to Biltmore. I've never heard of Grandfather Mtn though. I'll check into it, thanks!
Are you going to Dollywood?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Speedy70 said:
I like to ride roller coasters and Dollywood doesn't offer too many. It's one of those places that you go to one time to say "I've been there". :lmao:
I like roller coasters too, but I really like the atmosphere at Dollywood. I haven't been in years, I think I'll take MiniMe next summer.