Strep Throat

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Man, Mackenzie has strep...AGAIN!!! 3rd time in the past 3 months. She'd never had it until this year, and now the crap just won't die!! What a pain in the arse! At least we caught it quick this time and got her on good meds, though.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by laureng
Man, Mackenzie has strep...AGAIN!!! What a pain in the arse!

Odd symptom for a throat ailment.
tong.gif

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by kwillia
LG, make sure she finishes ALL her meds. You can't miss any doses and you can't stop early.

I know that, silly! That's the rule of any antibiotic. She has Zithromax this time, and it's only 5 days - yeah!

Mountain MaMa

WV bound
Lauren, after the antibiotics are gone, if she'll eat it, give her yogurt, also you might want to change her toothbrush. Vitamin C, they make it in chews..

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Thanks MMM! Yes, she'll eat yogurt, so I'll be sure to give her some. And changing her toothbrush is something I hadn't even thought about yet, thanks for the reminder!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
It's also possible that someone she has contact with on a regular basis is a carrier. That's someone who gets the infection without showing any symptoms. Because they don't seem to be sick, they don't go to the doctor and get treatment and as a result, just keep passing it around.

I've heard of this happening with strep.

K

Kizzy

The ones with strep who never show signs are carriers. I was a carrier of the virus for many years growing up. I never displayed any symptoms, but always tested positive. Don't despair Lauren, strep is going around. My 3 year old has 17 children in his class, 6 have gotten the strep virus in the past month, mine included. Now my oldest has been playing with the kid across the street who has had strep for months, and he sleeps with my youngest, who has tested positive for strep. So far, my oldest has always tested negative. Some people are just more prone to the strep virus than others.

MM gave very good advice on changing the tooth brush, and I have always been told after 24 hours on an antibiotic to wash the sheets in hot water. Up until last year, I always washed sheets in cold water or warm at best, but my oldest is allergic to dust mites and hot water is the only way to kill the mites. While I was talking to the allergist, she mentioned that most germs will still thrive in sheets washed in cold or warm water, and that I have a better chance of killing more germs with hot water. Whether or not that is true or not, I don't know.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by cmcdanal
It's also possible that someone she has contact with on a regular basis is a carrier. That's someone who gets the infection without showing any symptoms. Because they don't seem to be sick, they don't go to the doctor and get treatment and as a result, just keep passing it around.

I've heard of this happening with strep.

OMG, ya know it NEVER hit me until you said this. But......Mackenzie's Dad's girlfriend (got all that, hehe) is a carrier!! She actually just had a baby and they tested the baby after the birth for step since her mom was a carrier. Wow. Maybe when Mac goes to visit she just keeps picking it up there?! What a revelation...it could certainly be a possibility!

K

Kizzy

Well Lauren, Harry has strep again too. We just found out today. This is the second time in a month or it may be the first time and he hasn't gotten rid of it yet.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Well fudge!!! That stinks!! Mac had it back to back like that, but I think it was that the first set of meds didn't work well for it, and it took the 2nd, stronger meds to kick it out of her system. Good luck, and I hope he gets rid of it for good this time!