Banning Smoking????

Should all smoking be banned in public indoor places?

• Yes

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 39.0%
  • It doesn't bother me

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Ok, I was in a restaurant yesterday and I was in the non smoking section and I could still smell the smoke. It drove me crazy. I admit I hate all smokers, but if I am trying to eat, why can't people go outside to smoke? I mean its considered rude to blow your nose or pick it at the table but that doesn't kill or hurt anyone else. Why is it ok to smoke in restaurants? Does anyone else feel this way?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Smoker until I turned 30. Quit. And still live with, work around, friends with and frequently socialize with smokers.

Doesn't bother me in the least.

Other than a few people with defined respiritory problems(which I can understand and sympathize with), most people who have a problem with cigarettes seem to be chronic whiners.

I'm all for a ban on those.

Last edited:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kyle
most people who have a problem with cigarettes seem to be chronic whiners.

I'm all for a ban on those.
Here :cheers: Here :cheers:

It should be up to the business owner whether or not to ban smoking in their place of business; then you can decide if you want to go there or not.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh, look - Jeneisen wants to be a smoke Nazi. :duh: When we go out in public, we are going to encounter behaviors in our fellow humans that we don't like. I don't like poor manners - chewing with your mouth open, incessant complaining, loud belching, public profanity - shall we ban that?

Get a bubble, jump in it, and live happy for the rest of your life.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Don't want to pick a fight...

Bad manners and smoking are NOT in the same category. Smoking is a health issue.

I am not a smoker but married to one. I have health issues that being around smoke exacerbates. I think smokers have a right to smoke. On the other hand, I think non-smokers have a right not to be exposed to something that affects their health. I'm not sure what the solution is, but it seems that I always acquiesce and suffer the consequences.

Last edited:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Re: Don't want to pick a fight...

Originally posted by cattitude
Bad manners and smoking are NOT in the same category. Smoking is a health issue.

I am not a smoker but married to one. I have health issues that being around smoke exacerbates. I think smokers have a right to smoke. On the other hand, I think non-smokers have a right not to be exposed to something than affects their health. I'm not sure what the solution is, but it seems that I always acquiesce and suffer the consequences.

This is exactally how I feel. I think smokers have right to, but they should not have the right to cause harm to others. I went to the Captains Table for dinner last week and my 3 year old neice was with me and just to get her out of the building we had to walk through a cloud of it and she has severe ashma. I don't think that is right. We choose to sit in non smoking and I feel that if a restaurant or any public place can't keep the smoke contained in a room then it should be banned. Think what you want, I am whinning, b/c its disgusting. If you want to kill yourself, thats fine, but please don't add me to the list.

SeaRide

Public indoor places ..

You didn't say "restaurant" in the poll survey so here I go with my opinion on public indoor places.

Banned smoking in:
Public library? - yes
Public school? - yes
Public restroom? - hmm .. it depends on where and what kind. (i.e. rest area on highways, public restroom at Solomons)
chained food stores? - yes
gas station? - hell yes
airport? - yes
train/metro subway? - yes
taxis? - why not
public boat docks with gas pump nearby - hell yes

Just to name a few for now.. :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Simple solution - don't eat at restaurants that allow smoking. I don't go to restaurants that are non-smoking, except in special circumstances, and it works out just fine. As a consumer, you can choose who you give your money to. And as a free citizen, you can choose where you have dinner.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I can't stand cigarette smoke myself. But I was never comfortable with the idea of banning smoking simply for the convenience of nonsmokers.

Now that I'm a parent, I love being able to take my daughters out to eat or to shop without worrying about them breathing secondhand smoke.

So where do I stand? I think it has to do with alcohol. For many people, the drink bone is connected to the smoke bone. (I lifted that line from the movie Cold Turkey.) I guess I'd like to see America develop a custom where indoor smoking in public was considered proper only in bars and in restaurants with liquor licenses. Using the force of law to limit smoking seems very undemocratic to me.

The problem I see with such a custom is that parents wouldn't take their kids to Applebee's or Damon's. What do you think? Are restaurants like that even appropriate for younger children?

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Sure they are appropriate for younger children. I must admit I like the way IHOP is set up. They have a seperate closed off room that is the smoking section. It has a door and ventilation. I don't see why that isn't the standard in all restaurants? Everyone is happy that way.

SeaRide

jeneisen

Have you been to that Applebees in Prince Frederick for dinner lately? Talk about poor ventilation big time.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I remember when one of the Malls in Savannah banned smoking everywhere (including the bars and eating establishments) and the other one didn't. It was amazing that all of a sudden the most popular Mall overnight became a ghost town. Within a few months, the smaller shops started going out of business. The good thing was now you could actually make a quick trip to the Mall and find available parking. Once the anchor stores started making sounds about pulling out, the smoking ban was lifted for the eateries and bars in the mall and business started coming back. Coincidence?

Mountain MaMa

WV bound
Ex smokers here, hate the smell on people's clothes. Doesn't bother me in restaurants though. Vrai, we puffed around the kids for all those years.. any of yours have allergies or asthma? Mine don't.

SeaRide

Originally posted by migtig
I remember when one of the Malls in Savannah banned smoking everywhere (including the bars and eating establishments) and the other one didn't. It was amazing that all of a sudden the most popular Mall overnight became a ghost town. Within a few months, the smaller shops started going out of business. The good thing was now you could actually make a quick trip to the Mall and find available parking. Once the anchor stores started making sounds about pulling out, the smoking ban was lifted for the eateries and bars in the mall and business started coming back. Coincidence?
Yep, to me .. that's common sense, don't ya think?

I remember I went to one of the malls in St. Petersburg. The mall is mostly empty and mostly boarded up. Very few shops are open. It was really eerie to walk through this huge "ghost" mall just for going to the movie theatre. I feel somewhat funny to be in this part of town full of retirees and virtually almost no kids. That was December last year.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
What attracts people to smoking, anyway? It doesn't look enjoyable to me. Everywhere I've worked, I've seen people standing outside on their smoke breaks, wheezing and coughing and hacking. Not my idea of fun.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Don't people have anything better to cry about. Geezus!!! Second hand smoke is bad :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: ! Get over yourself already. Sick people are allowed out in public to spread their germs. I'd much rather get a little bit of second hand smoke then someones sneeze particles. If you're that worried about it get a freakin gas mask. :rolleyes:

Find something relevant to whine about. I got into work this morning and both my computer and my phone aren't working. I get on a friends computer to check in with all my buddies here and hopefully cheer me up a little and what's at the top of the list? Someone crying about something. I'm going to have a smoke. :cool:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Don't people have anything better to cry about. Geezus!!! Second hand smoke is bad :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: ! Get over yourself already. Sick people are allowed out in public to spread their germs. I'd much rather get a little bit of second hand smoke then someones sneeze particles. If you're that worried about it get a freakin gas mask. :rolleyes:

Find something relevant to whine about. I got into work this morning and both my computer and my phone aren't working. I get on a friends computer to check in with all my buddies here and hopefully cheer me up a little and what's at the top of the list? Someone crying about something. I'm going to have a smoke. :cool:

Not gettin "any" Pixie???:biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Mountain MaMa
Vrai, we puffed around the kids for all those years.. any of yours have allergies or asthma? Mine don't.
Not a one, Hon. They rarely even get/got colds.

Don't you guys remember that they already tried the smoking ban in Maryland? They did just what Tonio proposed - made it so smoking was banned unless you had a real bar, not merely a liquor license. Restaurant owners went CRAZY because they were losing business.

I had a restaurant client who was all for the ban - he said, if it was up to him, he'd ban smoking in his restaurant right now. I said, "It's your restaurant - you can ban smoking any time you want." (This was a privately owned place, not a chain.) He replied, "Are you crazy? Then I'd start losing business!"

DOY-EEE! :duh:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by jeneisen
Sure they are appropriate for younger children. I must admit I like the way IHOP is set up. They have a seperate closed off room that is the smoking section. It has a door and ventilation. I don't see why that isn't the standard in all restaurants? Everyone is happy that way.

IHOP is more of a family place, unless they've added Jack Daniels Syrup to the menu. Simply a different atmosphere than Ruby Tuesday or Damon's. Those places are aimed more at adults, and not just because they have liquor licenses. If I took my older daughter into Ruby Tuesday, she would probably try to pull the bric-a-brac off the walls.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
They did just what Tonio proposed - made it so smoking was banned unless you had a real bar, not merely a liquor license. Restaurant owners went CRAZY because they were losing business.

And those owners had every right to be upset. I wasn't proposing a law--in fact, I thought that suggested law was a bad idea. I was suggesting a Miss Manners-type etiquette regarding when and where smoking would be appropriate. Would this work?