CVS Pharmacies

J

julz20684

An article off of Baynet.com: Reader's Letter: CVS Almost Over Dosed My Child. Great Mills 11/13/2006 By "A local mom"

On Thursday, Nov. 1, 2006, my 7-year-old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD. That day, her pediatrician prescribed her 18 mg Concerta tablets, as that was a low-dose medication to get her started on treatment.

I took the prescription to my local CVS Pharmacy in California, and began giving her the medication the next morning. That day, she showed signs of an adverse reaction and when I contacted her pediatrician, he said to give the medication a few days and that it was probably just her body adjusting.

Three-days later (Sunday), the symptoms faded some, but weren't gone all the way, so I decided to do some additional research into Concerta on www.webmd.com. What I found disturbed me...my local CVS gave my daughter the incorrect medication.

Instead of filling her bottle with the 18 mg tablets, it was filled with 36 mg tablets. The label on the bottle was correct, but the pills inside were not. I immediately contacted the pharmacist and placed a call to the on-call pediatrician.

CVS showed very little remorse for the error, but I decided to make the trip to the pharmacy and exchange the incorrect pills for the correct ones. While there, I was treated very poorly. The pharmacist informed me that they would contact my daughter's pediatrician in the morning and submit an "Incident Report".

When I requested a copy of the report, she rudely informed me that "it's an internal document for corporate" and she said I could speak to her supervisor. Normally, I would have talked to the supervisor, but I was more concerned with getting my daughter medical attention to make sure she was not physically damaged by the error.

The on-call pediatrician called me and recommended that I contact the Maryland Poison Control Center for the drug-reaction facts and for further directions. After talking to Poison Control, I made the decision to take my daughter to St. Mary's Hospital for a quick evaluation.

The next morning, I contacted her pediatrician and he said he needed to see her as soon as possible. I immediately left work and got my daughter from school. Her pediatrician performed various tests (EKG and blood work) to make sure there was no damage to her heart since this medication can cause heart damage.

Thankfully, everything came back normal, but because of the error, my daughter missed 2 days of school, I missed 3 days of work and our entire family had to face the reality that my daughter could have been seriously injured long-term because I trusted people who are in positions of great trust.

While talking to the nurses at SMH, I learned that they too had similar experiences with CVS at the same location and they no longer use CVS. That motivated me to talk to other parents, nurses and friends, and learned that this kind of medication error has happened on many occasions at several different locations in St. Mary's and Calvert Counties.

One story that is just as shocking as my daughters deals with a friend's cousin: He fell ill with a virus and his doctor prescribed an antibiotic. His mother took the prescription to CVS in Solomon's to have it filled and when she got home and opened the bottle, she noticed right away that the pills didn't look right (she's raised 4 children and knew what an antibiotic should look like).

She pulled out her medication cross-reference book and found CVS filled her sons bottle with heart medication instead of the antibiotic. Again, the label was correct, the bottle was filled wrong. I heard that story again last night from a life-long friends mother who is a nurse at Calvert Memorial Hospital, who has no connection to my friends cousin.

These types of errors are simply inexcusable. I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or anything else in the medical field, so I don't know what a certain pill should look like or what a certain medication should do. I should feel confident that those individuals who fill these positions are competent and it's become obvious that those working at our local CVS Pharmacies are not.

If these kinds of errors are occurring with the frequency that I'm hearing, then the CVS Corporate office needs to do something. CVS is supposed to file an incident report for each error that occurs and with the number of errors I'm hearing about, you'd think there would be a red-flag and the Corporate office would do something ... provide additional training for the pharmacy technicians and pharmacists, contact those effected by these errors to make sure there was no harm done, something to prove that these issues are being escalated and addressed.

I have emailed the corporate office regarding the incident report and also intend on sending them a copy of this letter. I learned a lesson the hard way...don't trust anyone. From now on, I'll be having my prescriptions filled by a different pharmacy and no one in my house will take anything until we've verified the medication on www.webmd.com or another reputable medical website.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Although Pediatricians often start with low doses when starting a stimulant, keep in mind that in a recent study1 95% of kids were either on the 36mg or 54mg strength tablets, so don't give up on Concerta if the lower dosages don't seem to be working.

Seems like they were making a mountain out of a molehill.

Although filling bottles with the wrong type of medicine is serious, this particular case seems kind of not-serious, and they seem to be overdramatizing.

Have they talked to the lawyers yet?

Last edited:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
itsbob said:
Although Pediatricians often start with low doses when starting a stimulant, keep in mind that in a recent study1 95% of kids were either on the 36mg or 54mg strength tablets, so don't give up on Concerta if the lower dosages don't seem to be working.

Seems like you were making a mountain out of a molehill.

Although filling bottles with the wrong type of medicine is serious, your actual case seems kind of not-serious, and you seem to be overdramatizing.

Have you talked to the lawyers yet?

I don't think this actually happened to Julz - she was just posting the article she found on baynet. :shrug:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
bresamil said:
I don't think this actually happened to Julz - she was just posting the article she found on baynet. :shrug:
Uh-oh. I remember what happened the last time BG told bob he was wrong. :shocking:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bresamil said:
I caught that on my second read..

thanks!

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
itsbob said:

Seems like they were making a mountain out of a molehill.

Although filling bottles with the wrong type of medicine is serious, this particular case seems kind of not-serious, and they seem to be overdramatizing.

Have they talked to the lawyers yet?

I TOTALLY disagree. How would you fel if baby Nic was given twice the dr. prescibed dose? I'd be beyond furious.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
pixiegirl said:
I TOTALLY disagree. How would you fel if baby Nic was given twice the dr. prescibed dose? I'd be beyond furious.

Depends on the medication..

If it was an antibiotic and it stripped the lining of his stomach, yeah I'd be po'd.. but in this case you are talking about a VERY small dose of Amphetamines, that were doubled to a still a VERY small dose.. that he'd probably end up being prescribed in the end anyways..

If I found the problem.. I'd say great, I got twice the meds for the same price (Speed ain't cheap) cut them in half and use them.

I'm surprised the doctor didn't just tell her, "Well, let's try the 36 see how it goes!"

Personally I'm hoping not to have my 7 year old son on Amphetamines to begin with.

Last edited:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I took the prescription to my local CVS Pharmacy in California, and began giving her the medication the next morning. That day, she showed signs of an adverse reaction and when I contacted her pediatrician, he said to give the medication a few days and that it was probably just her body adjusting.

CVS screws up. Mom notices an adverse reaction but still administers the meds because the doc says so over the phone.

They all deserve a :smack:

I'd like to know who iniated putting the child on meds first, the doc, the school or the mom.

J

julz20684

bresamil said:

B - you are SOOOO smart!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
...my local CVS gave my daughter the incorrect medication.

No, they gave her the wrong dosage.. the correct medication.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
itsbob said:
Depends on the medication..

If it was an antibiotic and it stripped the lining of his stomach, yeah I'd be po'd.. but in this case you are talking about a VERY small dose of Amphetamines, that were doubled to a still a VERY small dose.. that he'd probably end up being prescribed in the end anyways..

If I found the problem.. I'd say great, I got twice the meds for the same price (Speed ain't cheap) cut them in half and use them.

I'm surprised the doctor didn't just tell her, "Well, let's try the 36 see how it goes!"

Personally I'm hoping not to have my 7 year old son on Amphetamines to begin with.

The job of the pharmacy is to fill the perscription given by your doctor. Period. They were careless and screwed up and should be called on it.

And.... speed kills. :lmao:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Recently, the Pharmacy at Pax gave my mom the wrong dosage and she had very serious side effects (psychotic in nature). Fortunately, we INSISTED to her TWO doctors that something was seriously wrong. Finally, my sister got the original copy of the prescription...rather than one pill a day, they'd typed 3 pills a day on the bottle. The doctor told us the mistake could have been fatal.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
All pharamecies make mistakes. They are operated by human beings. Humans are not perfect and have been known to make errors. End of story.

You should always double check your medicines anyway before taking them. Heck, if I get prescribed something by my doctor that I am unfamiliar with I look it up and may decide to not even take it and will call him back with a request to change my prescription. Even doctors are human beings and have been known to make errors.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
migtig said:
All pharamecies make mistakes. They are operated by human beings. Humans are not perfect and have been known to make errors. End of story.

You should always double check your medicines anyway before taking them. Heck, if I get prescribed something by my doctor that I am unfamiliar with I look it up and may decide to not even take it and will call him back with a request to change my prescription. Even doctors are human beings and have been known to make errors.

I agree BUT it's not always easy to check and I think it's particularly harder for senior citizens who aren't that computer savvy and are often very trusting of their physician and pharmacist.

J

julz20684

cattitude said:
Recently, the Pharmacy at Pax gave my mom the wrong dosage and she had very serious side effects (psychotic in nature). Fortunately, we INSISTED to her TWO doctors that something was seriously wrong. Finally, my sister got the original copy of the prescription...rather than one pill a day, they'd typed 3 pills a day on the bottle. The doctor told us the mistake could have been fatal.

I'm just too trusting...I have never questioned or checked my scripts, but after reading this article and these posts, I will certainly pay more attention to it.'

I'm sorry that happened to your mother :flowers:

I have often wondered how much training the 18-20 year olds that fill the presciptions at CVS in Leonardtown actually get...:confused: