Pet Sitter in Prince Frederick?

johnjrval424

I am looking for a responsible, bonded, insured pet sitter in the Prince Frederick area. I have looked at Pet Sitters International (website) and three of the people I contacted are no longer in business.

I did find someone within 3 miles and contracted with her for our last vacation but I am skeptical about how many times she visited. I told her that we would not be returning until late Saturday evening (8:00 pm to be specific) from our last vacation and when we returned home (at that time), she had not made the evening visit. Our poor puppies eyes were floating and our cat had no food. It appeared that the litter box had not been cleaned for a few days also.

I have seriously thought about starting a business like this myself due to the fact that (1) there doesn't seem to be very many people who do it, and (2) the ones out there don't seem to do a real good job. However, I also understand that there is a lot of responsibility that comes along with it which is why I haven't pursued it because I'm not sure I could make that commitment at this time.

Does anyone have any recommendations? We are going on vacation again in May and I need to get someone lined up.

Thanks!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
johnjrval424 said:
Haven't really had time in the last few days. Do you know of someone?

Depending on where you are located, maybe I could help you out. At least in the evenings or on a weekend. Mornings would be out for me.

Labs4Me

The Pet Nanny (Pam Bowie) is fantastic! She's the only pet sitter that I really know well enough to recommend. Many of my customers use her though and they always have great things to say about her when they've come home. She's very professional and has a great way with dogs. She's also very observant so I'd personally feel confident that if one of my dogs was injured or ill she'd notice immediately.

johnjrval424

vtcnicely said:
I don't know if kenneling is an option but I HIGHLY recommend interlude kennel in St. Leonard.

Unfortunately, boarding is not an option for our dog. I don't think the cat would mind but Buddy has actually lost hair when we left him with family members (and yes, they took very good care of him) - he would probably be bald if he was boarded, even in the best kennel available. I just think some dogs are not good out of their element (and I think this tends to run in the smaller breeds such as Buddy - lhasa apso mix - as opposed to the larger dogs like labs).

cdsulhoff

johnjrval424 said:
I am looking for a responsible, bonded, insured pet sitter in the Prince Frederick area. I have looked at Pet Sitters International (website) and three of the people I contacted are no longer in business.

I did find someone within 3 miles and contracted with her for our last vacation but I am skeptical about how many times she visited. I told her that we would not be returning until late Saturday evening (8:00 pm to be specific) from our last vacation and when we returned home (at that time), she had not made the evening visit. Our poor puppies eyes were floating and our cat had no food. It appeared that the litter box had not been cleaned for a few days also.

I have seriously thought about starting a business like this myself due to the fact that (1) there doesn't seem to be very many people who do it, and (2) the ones out there don't seem to do a real good job. However, I also understand that there is a lot of responsibility that comes along with it which is why I haven't pursued it because I'm not sure I could make that commitment at this time.

Does anyone have any recommendations? We are going on vacation again in May and I need to get someone lined up.

Thanks!

IF you find a company let me know.. My mom is trying to find a part time job walking and sitting animals.. She loves animals... I told her to start her own business in doing that. But she is so scarred that she would not get any business.. She want to work for a company to see what kind of market is out there.

johnjrval424

I did NOT find a pet sitter! I wound up getting a close friend who lives nearby to help me out.

I think there would be a great market out there for this type of business. BUT, I haven't done any type of research on it so that would be first and foremost.

Good luck! I hope someone opens something down here soon - we love to travel and we sure could use someone!

calamity jane

I used a lady at Calvert Pet Sitters in Pr. Fred for the last 2 years. I don't know if she's bonded & insured or not, but she is great with my bird. Her number is in the book, so I guess it's ok to post it here.
410-414-9201

mymonkeybug

I know of a new pet sitter that services Calvert County.

I can't remember the business name but the number is 240-694-7190, she is fairly new and in the process of bonding/insuring but works for CAWL and has many years of experience.

gocheysun

help is here

Hi, sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter with the so-called pet sitter (esp johnjrval424). I'd like to offer my help. I've been pet sitting for 3 years while working at an animal hospital. I am currently pursuing the route to become bonded and insured, as I will be starting a pet sitting business servicing the tri-county region. I have excellent references and look after cats, dogs, ferrets, and horses! (just please don't ask about spiders, lol). I even do meds and insulin shots.

johnjrval424

gocheysun said:
Hi, sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter with the so-called pet sitter (esp johnjrval424). I'd like to offer my help. I've been pet sitting for 3 years while working at an animal hospital. I am currently pursuing the route to become bonded and insured, as I will be starting a pet sitting business servicing the tri-county region. I have excellent references and look after cats, dogs, ferrets, and horses! (just please don't ask about spiders, lol). I even do meds and insulin shots.
Let me know when you get up and running. I would like to get your rates and availability.

BarbinMD

Let me know when you get up and running. I would like to get your rates and availability.

If you go to Home and enter your zip code, you can search for pet sitters who cover your area. This is the website for Pet Sitter's International an organization for Professional Pet Sitters. Be sure to check to see that they are are insured though.

Barb