shoes

Booboo3604

I am looking for some direction on shoes. I am looking to buy a new pair of shoes for gym as after doing 70 minutes on the elliptical, my feet are killing me in mine (The trainer says mine are too worn). Since this is basically what I will be using them for, do I need to get cross trainers or running shoes? Also are there any recommendations as to what shoes I should get if I have extremely flat feet. I am kind of at a loss of where to start.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. :howdy:

Booboo3604 said:
I am looking for some direction on shoes. I am looking to buy a new pair of shoes for gym as after doing 70 minutes on the elliptical, my feet are killing me in mine (The trainer says mine are too worn). Since this is basically what I will be using them for, do I need to get cross trainers or running shoes? Also are there any recommendations as to what shoes I should get if I have extremely flat feet. I am kind of at a loss of where to start.

Try a "wide" shoe... you feet swell from doing the eliptical for an extended period of time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought my feet hurt on the elliptical because of my shoes as well, so I bought new ones.

Didn't work.

The gym chickie says that 70 minutes of repetitive motion is going to stress your body. Try doing 10-15 on the elliptical, switch to the treadmill for another 10-15, then move on to the bike, etc. You get the same cardio (actually better because you're using different muscle groups).

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
Booboo3604 said:

I wear New Balance 643's. I have flat feel and these are comfy to me. I use them strictly for the gym. I run and or do the elliptical every day. After being on the elliptical for a while my feet do tend to feel like they are asleep, but I don't think that has anything to do with the type of shoe you are wearing. I hear alot of people complain about it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
MDTerps said:
After being on the elliptical for a while my feet do tend to feel like they are asleep, but I don't think that has anything to do with the type of shoe you are wearing. I hear alot of people complain about it.
It's because your feet are taking constant pressure from your weight with no relief. When you walk or jog, you pick 'em up and put 'em down. On the elliptical, they're just down. Even on the bike your feet get relief as you pedal - not so on the elliptical.

Booboo3604

vraiblonde said:
I thought my feet hurt on the elliptical because of my shoes as well, so I bought new ones.

Didn't work.

The gym chickie says that 70 minutes of repetitive motion is going to stress your body. Try doing 10-15 on the elliptical, switch to the treadmill for another 10-15, then move on to the bike, etc. You get the same cardio (actually better because you're using different muscle groups).

I actually have really bad knees which is why I shy away from the treadmill unless I am walking to warm up. However I can see how switching a little may help, if even a couple minutes on the bike.

warneckutz

Nike Shox

I just recently purchased a pair of the Nike Shox OH+ (I'm pretty sure that's what they are called). Very comfortable, especially if you spend a little extra to get the inserts, VERY COMFORTABLE!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
warneckutz said:
I just recently purchased a pair of the Nike Shox OH+ (I'm pretty sure that's what they are called). Very comfortable, especially if you spend a little extra to get the inserts, VERY COMFORTABLE!
Larry got some special custom made shoes, where they hooked him up to something and monitored his running, walking, etc. Then they designed the shoe to correct any stride problems.

Or something like that - he'd have to tell you exactly what it was.

signora

Booboo3604 said:

I have extremely flat feet too so you want to make sure that you get a good cushioned sneaker w/enough room. I find that Reeboks and Nike (cross trainers) are good sneakers. Because of the length of time you are doing the elliptical it can cause your feet to go numb, etc. You could try cutting it down to 30-45 minutes and then do the stationary bike or another cardio machine so that you don't get too bored just doing the same machine.

Also, when on the elliptical you should wiggle your toes occassionally just to move them around and also don't keep your feet completely flat on the pedals, try to lift your heels.

Booboo3604

signora said:
I have extremely flat feet too so you want to make sure that you get a good cushioned sneaker w/enough room. I find that Rebooks and Nike (cross trainers) are good sneakers. Because of the length of time you are doing the elliptical it can cause your feet to go numb, etc. You could try cutting it down to 30-45 minutes and then do the stationary bike or another cardio machine so that you don't get too bored just doing the same machine.

Also, when on the elliptical you should wiggle your toes occassionally just to move them around and also don't keep your feet completely flat on the pedals, try to lift your heels.

Yeah I do that, I can deal with the numbness, That doesnt bother me too much. I wiggle my toes often and for like every ten or fifteen minutes, I will do a minute of picking up my feet off the (pedal?) like I am walking/marching. I can definitely feel it burning a little more in my legs but it helps to prevent the numbness. My concern is soreness, almost achy and pain in my shins sometimes. I dont have a problem getting bored on it as I typically read a book. I just dont want to have long term problems from doing it. Thanks for your advice

warneckutz

vraiblonde said:
Larry got some special custom made shoes, where they hooked him up to something and monitored his running, walking, etc. Then they designed the shoe to correct any stride problems.

I have the Nike+ (uses the iPod Nano) Shox. It works pretty well when you're on a treadmill or doing outdoor running or walking. Doesn't work too well with an elliptical and worse with the stairmaster we have at the gym. I like it though, helps me focus on cardio, I *HATE* cardio :wench:

signora

Booboo3604 said:
Yeah I do that, I can deal with the numbness, That doesnt bother me too much. I wiggle my toes often and for like every ten or fifteen minutes, I will do a minute of picking up my feet off the (pedal?) like I am walking/marching. I can definitely feel it burning a little more in my legs but it helps to prevent the numbness. My concern is soreness, almost achy and pain in my shins sometimes. I dont have a problem getting bored on it as I typically read a book. I just dont want to have long term problems from doing it. Thanks for your advice

I don't know why your shins would be affected unless your just doing it too long. Have you ever tried the Cross Ramp? Even though you can't work your arms on the Cross Ramp, it may be better on your shins.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There's a shop up here...

vraiblonde said:

...called "If the Shoe Fits". It's a running shoe store run by...runners.

They put you on a treadmill with a ground level camera and you walk. They tape your footfalls and can tell, easily and right away, how you're body is structured, ie, how it naturally functions when running/walking.

Then they give you several options of in stock shoes, not custom, that conform to your footfall. I have a pair of Brooks Hydra Flows ($100) and they replaced New Balance 642's. The 642's were the most comfortable running shoes I'd ever had...up to that point. The pounding of running 15 miles a week or so simply exposed the difference between my footfall and the New Balances. It's not even close. The hard part was all three pairs they recommended to replace them were awesome.

So, find you a serious running shoe store that will recommend the shoe for your foot.

PS: It takes awhile to build up to being on an eliptical that long. If you push it too much, too soon, you'll hurt in any shoes.

PPS: Running shoes need to be replaced every 500 miles or sooner.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Booboo3604 said:
I can deal with the numbness
See, and I hate it because when I get off the machine I feel like I'm going to topple over because I can't feel my feet under me.

My NY resolution (one of them) is to try more stuff at the gym - the stairstepper, the (not elliptical but it looks similar to it), maybe take a class.

Booboo3604

Larry Gude said:
...called "If the Shoe Fits". It's a running shoe store run by...runners.

They put you on a treadmill with a ground level camera and you walk. They tape your footfalls and can tell, easily and right away, how you're body is structured, ie, how it naturally functions when running/walking.

Then they give you several options of in stock shoes, not custom, that conform to your footfall. I have a pair of Brooks Hydra Flows ($100) and they replaced New Balance 642's. The 642's were the most comfortable running shoes I'd ever had...up to that point. The pounding of running 15 miles a week or so simply exposed the difference between my footfall and the New Balances. It's not even close. The hard part was all three pairs they recommended to replace them were awesome.

So, find you a serious running shoe store that will recommend the shoe for your foot.

PS: It takes awhile to build up to being on an eliptical that long. If you push it too much, too soon, you'll hurt in any shoes.

PPS: Running shoes need to be replaced every 500 miles or sooner.

Is this the place? http://www.iftheshoefits.biz/

Like I said, I am not hurting all that much right now. I am more looking for a good shoe as a preventitive measure. I am not only flat footed but there are other issues as well. I dont want to end up having severe problems in the long run.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Booboo3604 said:

Like I said, I am not hurting all that much right now. I am more looking for a good shoe as a preventitive measure. I am not only flat footed but there are other issues as well. I dont want to end up having severe problems in the long run.
I have the opposite problem, in that I have really high arches. I've taken a nose dive in the ways of the world of exercising - but will tell you, I have never had a pair of shoes that could last a couple of hours without killing my feet.

For all of you athletes (sp?) out there, is it also true that you should only use your designated work-out shoes for working out/running? So that once you find a pair that fits appropriately, it supports the activity you are purchasing them for, not everyday wear and tear?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
virgovictoria said:
is it also true that you should only use your designated work-out shoes for working out/running?
I do but only because your shoes pick up little rocks and debris in the tread, which then comes off on the equipment and damages it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep...

Booboo3604 said:

...it's a two hour drive up here if you can't find something closer. There has to be some good stores closer to you. This ain't rocket science.

In any event, the shoes matter, especially long term.