72 yr old Nascar driver

All I can say is wow!

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (AP) - Long after the big-budget NASCAR teams pulled into the Daytona garage, a bright yellow hauler - sans the logos and pricey paint scheme - navigated its way through the gate.
Perched behind the wheel of the big rig was 72-year-old James Hylton, whose decades-old image donned the side of the truck. He steered his way past Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth and the rest of today's NASCAR stars to his assigned-spot along the fence then went to work unloading his car.

Yes, his car.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6373246?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=167

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Michael Delaney said:
Paul Newman still races competitively at the age of 81.
He won the Rolex 24 GTS class at the age of 70.

When I read this article, I thought of Morgan Shepard, Dave Marcis and Dick Trickle...they either get in the race just barely and never finish or they don't make it at all.

Pete

Repete
nachomama said:
When I read this article, I thought of Morgan Shepard, Dave Marcis and Dick Trickle...they either get in the race just barely and never finish or they don't make it at all.
Dave Marcis was always a serious competitor. He never did the 5 laps and to the garage thing. Trickle did ok but near the end he was a field filler along with Morgan Shepard.

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
But Paul Newman still wins. Like I said, he is still competitive. He won at the Daytona 24 at the age of 70, and has continued to win various sports car races to this day.

nachomama said:

Michael Delaney said:
But Paul Newman still wins. Like I said, he is still competitive. He won at the Daytona 24 at the age of 70, and has continued to win various sports car races to this day.

That's great for Paul, but we're talking about Nascar Cup racing and the Daytona 500. A bit of a difference there.

I've never seen Paul race Nascar cup.

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Oh Yeah, there is a difference, A 24 Hour sports car race is a bit harder on a driver, team and car as compared to NASCAR race.

Speedy70 said:
That's great for Paul, but we're talking about Nascar Cup racing and the Daytona 500. A bit of a difference there.

I've never seen Paul race Nascar cup.

Michael Delaney said:
Oh Yeah, there is a difference, A 24 Hour sports car race is a bit harder on a driver, team and car as compared to NASCAR race.

Thanks for the info, but I didn't ask you about the difference. :bigwhoop:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Everybody was making a big deal out of a 72 year old guy racing in NASCAR. my original input was to say big deal, older guys are already racing in more demanding racing series.

Speedy70 said:
Thanks for the info, but I didn't ask you about the difference. :bigwhoop:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Michael Delaney said:

And I think quite a few NASCAR drivers race in the 24 Hours at Daytona...

Sorry, I prefer the Left Turn Life that is NASCAR or the Smash the gas/slam the brake/pull the parachute of NHRA. F1/Grand Prix, etc. just don't do anything for me. Although I admit I do like going to the IRL race at Richmond. :yay:

Pete

Repete
Is now when we all stand around and measure our peckers to see who gets to have their favorite form of racing as #1?

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Pete said:
Is now when we all stand around and measure our peckers to see who gets to have their favorite form of racing as #1?

Count me out.
:backingawayfromthreadslowly:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
To each there own. NASCAR does have talented race car drivers, but turning right, left, and utilizing the brakes often does require more driver skill.

My point is that for a driver running a 24 hour race, even if they only drive 6-8 hours of it, is very hard to do as compared to a 500 mile oval race.

nachomama said:
And I think quite a few NASCAR drivers race in the 24 Hours at Daytona...

Sorry, I prefer the Left Turn Life that is NASCAR or the Smash the gas/slam the brake/pull the parachute of NHRA. F1/Grand Prix, etc. just don't do anything for me. Although I admit I do like going to the IRL race at Richmond. :yay:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Michael Delaney said:
To each there own. NASCAR does have talented race car drivers, but turning right, left, and utilizing the brakes often does require more driver skill.

My point is that for a driver running a 24 hour race, even if they only drive 6-8 hours of it, is very hard to do as compared to a 500 mile oval race.

OK, maybe so. But the souvenier trailers at NASCAR races have much better stuff in them...