Roasting Garlic

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Help! I have a recipe for roasted garlic smashed potatoes. The recipe calls for a bulb of garlic and the instructions say to cut off pointed end of garlic bulb, place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with oil, bake at 350 for an hour. It doesn't say to peel the papery stuff off the garlic, but I would ASSume I should do that? Anyone know?

I know....stupid, stupid question.

BS Gal said:
Help! I have a recipe for roasted garlic smashed potatoes. The recipe calls for a bulb of garlic and the instructions say to cut off pointed end of garlic bulb, place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with oil, bake at 350 for an hour. It doesn't say to peel the papery stuff off the garlic, but I would ASSume I should do that? Anyone know?

I wouldn't peel it until after you have roasted it... I would think it would prevent the actual clove from getting a tough outer edge.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
BS Gal said:

No, do not peel it. When the garlic is cooked, you just squeeze the pulp out.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
After baking for an hour as you said, it's supposed to turn into a pasty, liquidy kind of state, where you can squeeze the stuff onto what ever dish you want to. (I spent the night at the Holiday Inn)

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Nickel said:
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes are my favorite. :yum:
This recipe calls for cream cheese, also. It sounds yummy. Got it out of Southern Living. I feel kind of stupid for heating up the oven for one friggin bulb of garlic though. :lmao:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
BS Gal said:
This recipe calls for cream cheese, also. It sounds yummy. Got it out of Southern Living. I feel kind of stupid for heating up the oven for one friggin bulb of garlic though. :lmao:
But think of how good your kitchen will smell. :lol: Assuming you like the smell of garlic, which I do. :roflmao:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Vince said:
That sounds good. Hey BS, how about posting the recipe. :shrug:
Roasted Garlic Smashed Taters

1 large or 2 small garlic bulbs
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 lbs red potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Garnish: Chopped fresh chives

1. Cut off pointed end of garlic bulb; place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with oil. Fold foil to seal.
2. Bake at 350 for 1 hour; cool. Squeeze pulp from garlic, set aside.
3. Cook potatos in dutch oven in boiling salted water to cover 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl.
4. Mash potatoes with roasted garlic pulp, cream cheese and next 5 ingredients until smooth.
Garnish, if desired.

There ya go!

CMC122

Go Braves!
BS Gal said:
It'll be sooooo worth it!! Roasted garlic is the shiznit!

bcp

In My Opinion
mix a little lemon juice in with the oil that you put on the garlic.

adds an intersting after taste to the taters

bcp

In My Opinion
Penn said:
He spent the night at the Holiday Inn too! :lmao:

excuse me but,, I spent the night at home.... right on the couch with the dog where my wife says I belong.

morganj614

BS Gal said:

I have a pottery garlic roaster that a friend gave me. I now roast 2 heads a week and use the garlic in and on everything. I am going to cook a steak and spread a clove on top :yum:
Doesn't your house smell wonderful? :diva: