You gotta get married somewhere...

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Wal-Mart Wedding
April 7, 2003 (Fort Myers, Florida) — Sandy Thomas and Dan Harbecke found something more than low prices at Wal-Mart. They found each other.

Yesterday the couple married at a Fort Myers, Florida, Wal-Mart. The pair met last year in the store's breakroom.

She works in women's wear and he's in dairy. Over the weekend they walked down the aisle -- the apparel aisle, as the Celine Dion song "Power of Love" played over the intercom.

The couple originally planned to get married on the beach. But the store manager suggested Wal-Mart -- and the couple agreed. The new groom says their discount store wedding was absolutely fantastic.
~~~~~~~
Didn't bring a gift - no problem, pick one up on your way out.

Couple exchanges marriage vows at coin-operated laundry
April 9, 2003 (LOGANSPORT, Ind.) — It was a wedding where guests tossed sheets of fabric softener instead of rice.

But Carolyn Gross and John Oehlert wanted to exchange vows where their courtship began: at a coin-operated laundry.

About 25 people attended Monday's ceremony at the High Street Laundry in Logansport, about 70 miles north of Indianapolis. Some watched while folding clothes.

The "Wedding March" played on a cassette amid the swishing sounds of washers and the hum of spinning dryers. The scent of detergent filled the air.

"Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?" asked the Rev. Jim Sparks, projecting his voice over the clatter of a change machine.

At one point, a laundry cart rattled as a young woman wheeled it past the couple, who stood between two carts decorated with flowers.

"This is where it kind of started," Gross said. "He kept asking me out, and I kept telling him no, but he wore me down."

Three months later, Oehlert proposed.

"We knew each other for about 12 years," Oehlert said. "I thought she worked here."

The owners of the laundry, Brad and Sheri Deardorff, were thrilled that the couple chose to hold their nuptials at their business.

"They asked me about having it here," Brad Deardorff said. "I said, 'Hey, it's your day."'
~~~~~~~
I wonder who'll get stuck with the laundry.

J

justhangn

Hmmmm....I wouldn't necessarily discount the frugality of these weddings, they can't fail any sooner than the regular kind.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
And another one...

Couple Marries on Largest Georgia Bridge

BRUNSWICK, Ga. - It was a wedding with few frills — no flowers, no bridesmaids — just Georgia's largest bridge beneath the bride's and groom's feet and a construction crane idling nearby.

Engineer David Bigelow and his bride, Janna Jo Stone, exchanged vows at sunrise Monday, standing on a structure that Bigelow spent seven years helping build. The only onlookers, besides wildlife, were a handful of friends and family members.

Later Monday morning, two years and three months late, the Sidney Lanier bridge opened to the public. Bigelow, who works for the state Department of Transportation, was the project's assistant site engineer.

"If it was my decision, I probably wouldn't have gotten married in the place I work 24 hours a day," said Bigelow, insisting the location was his bride's idea.

Stone said she chose the bridge because "it was special and I knew that nobody else would do it."

The new 1.5-mile bridge, suspended by steel cables that fan out from 480-foot towers like a pair of giant sails, arcs 180 feet above the Brunswick River so ships can pass underneath.

Brunswick is 60 miles south of Savannah.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: And another one...

Originally posted by jazz lady
Couple Marries on Largest Georgia Bridge

BRUNSWICK, Ga. - It was a wedding with few frills — no flowers, no bridesmaids — just Georgia's largest bridge beneath the bride's and groom's feet and a construction crane idling nearby.

Engineer David Bigelow and his bride, Janna Jo Stone, exchanged vows at sunrise Monday, standing on a structure that Bigelow spent seven years helping build. The only onlookers, besides wildlife, were a handful of friends and family members.

Later Monday morning, two years and three months late, the Sidney Lanier bridge opened to the public. Bigelow, who works for the state Department of Transportation, was the project's assistant site engineer.

"If it was my decision, I probably wouldn't have gotten married in the place I work 24 hours a day," said Bigelow, insisting the location was his bride's idea.

Stone said she chose the bridge because "it was special and I knew that nobody else would do it."

The new 1.5-mile bridge, suspended by steel cables that fan out from 480-foot towers like a pair of giant sails, arcs 180 feet above the Brunswick River so ships can pass underneath.

Brunswick is 60 miles south of Savannah.

What I want to know is if the damn bridge is done yet. :rolleyes: My grandma lives on Jeykll Island which is about 5 - 10 minutes from there. The draw bridges are older then dirt and I'm tired of seeing that thing partially done.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
*ahem*

:wink:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: And another one...

Originally posted by pixiegirl
What I want to know is if the damn bridge is done yet. :rolleyes: My grandma lives on Jeykll Island which is about 5 - 10 minutes from there. The draw bridges are older then dirt and I'm tired of seeing that thing partially done.
Cool, my parents live outside of Nahunta about 25 minutes from Jeykll Island.