Beta Blockers/ Inderal and weight gain

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
God bless America it seems as soon as I get one issue under control another pops up. The neurologist put me on Inderal which is a beta blocker as a preventative for my migraines. Of course it works great for the headaches and I'm not loopy like I was on the anti-convulsants but I've noticed a considerable amount of weight gain. At first I attributed it to my age. I'm old enough that I should be putting on a couple. I got on the scale the other day.... 15 pounds! 15 pounds since November which I think is pretty considerable!

Has anyone had any success in controlling weight gain on a beta blocker?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
K_Jo said:

Don't think it didn't cross my mind for a second. Even though the tubes are tied and the bf's fixed I swear I'm going to end up pregnant again one day. I'm going to be the one in a million just because I loathe being pregnant.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
Don't think it didn't cross my mind for a second. Even though the tubes are tied and the bf's fixed I swear I'm going to end up pregnant again one day. I'm going to be the one in a million just because I loathe being pregnant.
You would make very cute bebes together. :smile:

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
pixiegirl said:
God bless America it seems as soon as I get one issue under control another pops up. The neurologist put me on Inderal which is a beta blocker as a preventative for my migraines. Of course it works great for the headaches and I'm not loopy like I was on the anti-convulsants but I've noticed a considerable amount of weight gain. At first I attributed it to my age. I'm old enough that I should be putting on a couple. I got on the scale the other day.... 15 pounds! 15 pounds since November which I think is pretty considerable!

Side effects include: Sudden weight gain. Weight gain is common as your doctor increases your medication dose. Call your doctor if you gain three or more pounds in one day or if you continue to gain weight for more than two days. Good luck... :huggy:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
There's a gent here that takes medication for migraines. He has to be more careful about what he eats and goes to the gym on a semi-regular basis to maintain his weight.

His migraines were pretty bad though. My assumption is that he's on a pretty hefty dose of meds.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
I'm controling but not losing. Maybe your body needed a few pounds and the gain will even out soon.

I take Lopressor (beta-adrenergic blocking agent) it blocks chemicals, like adrenaline (epinephrine), and prevents them from increasing heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen use. It also slows the body down a bit, decreasing metabolism.

The few pounds I'd like to lose just won't come off. I exercise on the elliptical 3-4 times a day/7 days week. I haven't cut calories drastically yet, but that may be my next option. Due to the meds my heart rate during exercise won't rise much past 120-130 and I tire out more easily than I did before I started the meds. I've never been the starvation diet type and have always been able to lose a few pounds just by increasing the amount of exercise I get, but since November I've just been spinning my wheels. My body is toned but I just can seem to drop any weight. It's depressing.

BadGirl said:
"My, Pixie, your Beefarilla BootyButt is looking mighty delicious these days." :yum:
Oh, my, god. BadGirl, look at her butt.
It is so big. *scoff* She looks like,
one of those rap guys' girlfriends.
But, y'know, who understands those rap guys? *scoff*
They only talk to her, because,
she looks like a total prostitute, 'kay?
I mean, her butt, is just so big. *scoff*
I can't believe it's just so round, it's like,
out there, I mean - gross. Look!
She's just so ... black!

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Sharon said:
I'm controling but not losing. Maybe your body needed a few pounds and the gain will even out soon.

I take Lopressor (beta-adrenergic blocking agent) it blocks chemicals, like adrenaline (epinephrine), and prevents them from increasing heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen use. It also slows the body down a bit, decreasing metabolism.

The few pounds I'd like to lose just won't come off. I exercise on the elliptical 3-4 times a day/7 days week. I haven't cut calories drastically yet, but that may be my next option. Due to the meds my heart rate during exercise won't rise much past 120-130 and I tire out more easily than I did before I started the meds. I've never been the starvation diet type and have always been able to lose a few pounds just by increasing the amount of exercise I get, but since November I've just been spinning my wheels. My body is toned but I just can seem to drop any weight. It's depressing.

:huggy: This sucks! The Inderal does the same thing with metabolism from what I've read and also something about retaining insulin.