Anyone been to Memphis?

I'm thinking of planning a trip to Memphis before the baby is born. Where is a good place to stay and what sites do you recommend (besides Graceland)? I'd like to stay at the Peabody, but it's quite expensive.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Speedy70 said:
I'm thinking of planning a trip to Memphis before the baby is born. Where is a good place to stay and what sites do you recommend (besides Graceland)? I'd like to stay at the Peabody, but it's quite expensive.

We were stationed there between 79 to 83. Loved it there. Wish we could go back.. Although I'm sure it's changed so much what I remember isn't the same.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Speedy70 said:
I want to go to Graceland. :biggrin:

Even that has changed!!! Everytime someone came to 'visit' off we'd go to the other side of town.....

While your there enjoy some chinese food. It doesn't get any better then in Memphis. Don't ask me why, it just does.

Oh! Plan your trip for May. Memphis in May is awesome. It's one big party down on the riverwalk downtown. Make your reservations now for then though.

Pete

Repete
Speedy70 said:
I want to go to Graceland. :biggrin:
Well you have Graceland, Mud Island, good food places, Beale Street. Stay out of the east part of Memfs <--(Proper local pronunciation) after dark. Also "drag out the overnight dead body hour" is about 8am.

The Peabody is cool, I bartended there on occassion. Do not stay at the Admiral Benbow because the hookers bang on the doors all night. Oh and if you get into a game of "Find the black queen" with a black guy downtown tell him I want my $20 back.

Suz' said:
Even that has changed!!! Everytime someone came to 'visit' off we'd go to the other side of town.....

While your there enjoy some chinese food. It doesn't get any better then in Memphis. Don't ask me why, it just does.

Oh! Plan your trip for May. Memphis in May is awesome. It's one big party down on the riverwalk downtown. Make your reservations now for then though.

My bday is in May - good idea!!! :huggy:

Pete said:
Well you have Graceland, Mud Island, good food places, Beale Street. Stay out of the east part of Memfs <--(Proper local pronunciation) after dark. Also "drag out the overnight dead body hour" is about 8am.

The Peabody is cool, I bartended there on occassion. Do not stay at the Admiral Benbow because the hookers bang on the doors all night. Oh and if you get into a game of "Find the black queen" with a black guy downtown tell him I want my $20 back.

You're scaring me. :twitch:

D

dems4me

Speedy70 said:

I've been to Memphis! I loved it :smile: Me and an ex travelled to Nashville then to Memphis... we went to Beal Street, visited BB King's bar, etc... (carefull though, some of the neighborhoods off the beaten path are a bit seedy)... then went and did the Graceland thing. It was years ago and we couldn't take pictures inside of Graceland because the camera had a flash but they sold us postcards of pictures of what it looks like instead :ohwell:. Also, I believe his aunt was still living on the premises at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete

Repete
If you happen to fall asleep at an outdoor party and wake up in a Memphis PD car, don't yell "WTF!". I would suggest "Officer sir, may I ask as to the reason I have been detained?" If the female cop starts banging on the cage that separates them from you with her pistol yelling "STFU" do not reply with "Crazy biatch!" :angel:

D

dems4me

Pete said:
If you happen to fall asleep at an outdoor party and wake up in a Memphis PD car, don't yell "WTF!". I would suggest "Officer sir, may I ask as to the reason I have been detained?" If the female cop starts banging on the cage that separates them from you with her pistol yelling "STFU" do not reply with "Crazy biatch!" :angel:

:lol: You should write a tour guide :lol:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Pete said:

How long do you get "detained" for something like that? :popcorn:

Pete

Repete
Mrs. Jones said:
How long do you get "detained" for something like that? :popcorn:
It was all a misunderstanding.:yay: A mere 4 hours later they realized their mistake and released me. It was a different intoxicated white boy they were looking for.

Pete

Repete
I will say the accommodations at 1 Poplar Avenue in Memphis are horrible.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We'll have to write all this down...

Pete said:
I will say the accommodations at 1 Poplar Avenue in Memphis are horrible.

...Memphis is in our future. Did you enjoy it or did you hate living there?

:larry:

Pete

Repete
Larry Gude said:
...Memphis is in our future. Did you enjoy it or did you hate living there?

:larry:
It was a lot different back then. They had just started fixing up Beale street. Previous to that it was a major dump. Then they fixed it up and put a police station right in the middle of it to keep the riff raff out.

All in all it was cool, just don't go in July or August.:hot: Oh and if you decide to swim across the Mississppi River be sure you start waaaayyyyyyy up river or you are going to see Memphis using the scenic route :lol: Oh and wear shorts you are willing to throw away when you are done:yay:

Hessian

Did three days in Memphis in June 03...
Can't remember the the eclectic rib place downtown that was unbelievably cluttered with memorabilia-what atmosphere!
Rode the downtown trolley down to the Spaghetti Factory: THAT was really worth it.-Cool restaurant.

Memphis Belle is on the island....REALLY wanted to go see it but ran out of time.
Did a dinner cruise in the evening: WORTH it for 60-70.00

And yes, parts of the city are still VERY dumpy.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
Hessian said:
Did three days in Memphis in June 03...
Can't remember the the eclectic rib place downtown that was unbelievably cluttered with memorabilia-what atmosphere!
Rode the downtown trolley down to the Spaghetti Factory: THAT was really worth it.-Cool restaurant.

Memphis Belle is on the island....REALLY wanted to go see it but ran out of time.
Did a dinner cruise in the evening: WORTH it for 60-70.00

And yes, parts of the city are still VERY dumpy.
You are probably talking about the "Public Eye". Bright yellow paint inside? There is a place down by the old cotton barn section. It was Captain Bilboo's or something like that and it totally rocked. Great food and a band almost every night.

Memphis does have some really scuzzy parts but they were cleaning up the downtown section.