Milan Italy

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Milan isn't as "pretty" as much of the rest of Italy, but the shopping there is to DIE for...the Galleria Delle Vittorio Emmanuelle is a beautiful mall in an old 19th century building.

As for cultural things, you can't go to Milan and not see The Last Supper. Also, be sure to get over to the Piazza Del Duomo, and the Sforza castle.

Have fun!

Christy

b*tch rocket
Club'nBabySeals said:
Milan isn't as "pretty" as much of the rest of Italy, but the shopping there is to DIE for...the Galleria Delle Vittorio Emmanuelle is a beautiful mall in an old 19th century building.

As for cultural things, you can't go to Milan and not see The Last Supper. Also, be sure to get over to the Piazza Del Duomo, and the Sforza castle.

Have fun!

I'm not a huge shopper, so Milan is like the last place in Italy that I'd want to see, but it's still Italy, so I'm going. :lol:

Do you know if there are any cute little towns near Milan?

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Not really...Northern Italy; and in particular the Lombardi region is mostly industrial. Lake Como is relatively close by, and if you're into automotives there are plenty of big name factories in the area to tour (Bugatti is one that comes to mind)

On the plus, Milan is only a 2 hour train ride from Venice, 3 from Florence, and 5 from Rome!

Christy

b*tch rocket
Club'nBabySeals said:
Not really...Northern Italy; and in particular the Lombardi region is mostly industrial. Lake Como is relatively close by, and if you're into automotives there are plenty of big name factories in the area to tour (Bugatti is one that comes to mind)

On the plus, Milan is only a 2 hour train ride from Venice, 3 from Florence, and 5 from Rome!

Oooh, I may have to hit Venice. I've not been there. My husband is going for work, but will only be actually "working" 3 days, so maybe we'll do those 3 days in Milan, then trek on up to Venice. Thanks! :yay:

SamSpade

Christy said:
We'll be going for about a week in June, anyone been there? Any must see places?

Never been, but would like to go one day; my name is derived from that town, and so my distant ancestors hail from there.

marianne

I'm going to the mediterranean for a few weeks in June also. In Italy, we're hitting Rome, Venice, Naples, Almalfi Coast, and Sicily but not Milan. Have you booked airline tix yet? The best prices I've found are $1600-$1400 roundtrip, which seems a little pricey to me. Despite that, I'm finding it's more difficult to get around Italy once I get there. Taxis are not the way to go (no pun intended) and I've been finding & booking private drivers. I saw Bob's link to the motorcyles and was tempted to look closer into renting one of those but after barely passing the BRC I swore I wouldn't get on a bike anytime soon.

In Milan there's lots of great shopping so long as you pay no mind to the current exchange rate :) There's a wonderful opera house. Even if you're not a huge fan of opera, it would be pretty cool to go to an opera there. And if you'll be in Milan in early June, you may be able to catch the Festa del Naviglio - a huge street festival.

If you find any Italian language classes/tutors, please let me know. I used to speak fluent Italian many years ago and am looking for a refresher. The only classes I've found so far are in DC at Casa Italiana.

Christy

b*tch rocket
marianne said:
I'm going to the mediterranean for a few weeks in June also. In Italy, we're hitting Rome, Venice, Naples, Almalfi Coast, and Sicily but not Milan. Have you booked airline tix yet? The best prices I've found are $1600-$1400 roundtrip, which seems a little pricey to me. Despite that, I'm finding it's more difficult to get around Italy once I get there. Taxis are not the way to go (no pun intended) and I've been finding & booking private drivers. I saw Bob's link to the motorcyles and was tempted to look closer into renting one of those but after barely passing the BRC I swore I wouldn't get on a bike anytime soon.

In Milan there's lots of great shopping so long as you pay no mind to the current exchange rate :) There's a wonderful opera house. Even if you're not a huge fan of opera, it would be pretty cool to go to an opera there. And if you'll be in Milan in early June, you may be able to catch the Festa del Naviglio - a huge street festival.

If you find any Italian language classes/tutors, please let me know. I used to speak fluent Italian many years ago and am looking for a refresher. The only classes I've found so far are in DC at Casa Italiana.

If you are adventerous, you should just get a rental car and go.... We rented a 9 passenger Ducati Van, and had the most fabulous driver (Steve). He LOVED driving over there and navigated his way stupendisly. We saw much of Italy that no tourist probably has ever seen, and despite a bit of car sickness with the windy roads, it was superb. :yay:

If you are on a cruise type deal, I would not bother with hiring drivers, it's actually very easy to get around with tour busses, and taxis. Most of the larger cities have 24 hour passes that you can buy to see all the important sites.

I wouldn't worry too much about language lessons, most Italians talk with their hands, so no matter what language, you can get it all sorted out. :yay: