Diabetes

Toxick

Splat
I heard that one of the symptoms of diabetes is peeing a lot.

Lately it's been like a broken water pump with me. I have to go go go go maybe 4 - 5 times a night, and during the day it's not much better. And it's not just little annoying 1-squirt trips to the bathroom... It's like a full blown pee like I've been drinking beer all night. I'm peeing to the point where I have drymouth all the time, and I'm so thirsty that I drink all day long.

Sound familiar to anyone?

I'm going to the doctor of course, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone has any horror stories that can keep my obsessed and worried until the doctor gives me some news.

Any other symptoms that might be a tipoff?

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Toxick said:

Lately it's been like a broken water pump with me. I have to go go go go maybe 4 - 5 times a night, and during the day it's not much better. And it's not just little annoying 1-squirt trips to the bathroom... It's like a full blown pee like I've been drinking beer all night. I'm peeing to the point where I have drymouth all the time, and I'm so thirsty that I drink all day long.

I'm going to the doctor of course, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone has any horror stories that can keep my obsessed and worried until the doctor gives me some news.

Being thirsty a lot and dizzy spells. Many other symptoms that you possibly won't see. There is lots of info on it now. Google :yay: Blood test will verify this condition. Good luck.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Toxick said:

http://www.diabetes.com/

donbarzini

36 is a little young, but urinating a lot could also be symptomatic of an enlarged prostate. So get your a$$ to a doctor post-haste.

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
Toxick said:

Morgan should be loggin on soon-you'll get all your answers then! :killingme

Nanny Pam

Good luck, Toxic!

Get to the Doc, soon Until then...there are some things you can get at the drug store. You pee on a stick and it lets you know how high you sugar is.

:huggy:

Toxick

Splat
donbarzini said:
36 is a little young, but urinating a lot could also be symptomatic of an enlarged prostate. So get your a$$ to a doctor post-haste.

Already have an appointment.

I made sure to ask for the doctor with the thinnest fingers and shortest fingernails.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Tox
Does diabetes run in your family? You are a little young for the onset of Type II diabetes, but at least Type II is manageable with proper diet and exercise. And as was posted before....prostate issues could be possible.

Toxick

Splat
bresamil said:
Tox
Does diabetes run in your family? You are a little young for the onset of Type II diabetes, but at least Type II is manageable with proper diet and exercise. And as was posted before....prostate issues could be possible.

Unfortunately it does.. Type I and II.
There's a lot of major scary crap that runs in my family. :ohwell:

However, I don't think any of the men in my family have had prostate problems.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Toxick, make sure you get to the dr., but also remember, it's winter. Heat in the house/office can make you very thirsty. I get like that in the winter. I drink TONS of water every day anyway, out of habit, but in the winter I always seem to be more thirsty. I also notice I get very dry skin.

M

Mousebaby

I got told just last year that I was borderline diabetic. I am only 38. Its definitely possible for it to happen. Another thing that would tip you off is being really tired after you've eaten. Sometimes you can feel a little hyper after eating. Also, blurred vision. I can't think of anymore off the top of my head. But definitely get it checked out. Diabetes and prostate health are nothing to play around with! I hope all works out for the good! :huggy:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Age means nothing anymore when it comes to health issues, atleast that's what I'm finding out:ohwell:

I hope it's just the dry air that's making you thirsty and therefore causing more ouput:huggy:

Toxick

Splat
CMC122 said:
I hope it's just the dry air that's making you thirsty and therefore causing more ouput:huggy:

That's what I'm hoping for too.

I want to hear the doctor say this:

"Diabetes? What? Get out of here. Go on you hypochondriac... Pfft diabetes.. Go on, get out you - this place is for sick people!"

ShyGirl

Mousebaby said:
I got told just last year that I was borderline diabetic. I am only 38. Its definitely possible for it to happen. Another thing that would tip you off is being really tired after you've eaten. Sometimes you can feel a little hyper after eating. Also, blurred vision. I can't think of anymore off the top of my head. But definitely get it checked out. Diabetes and prostate health are nothing to play around with! I hope all works out for the good! :huggy:

I was told something similar by a Nutritionist just last Saturday.

I happened to mention blurry vision and over-eating (side-effects of taking the prescription drug Chantix to stop smoking)

She told me that if you are injesting too many sweets, your body cannot produce enough insulin to break down the sugar. Continued intake of that amount of sugar will lead to diabetes. Your body can recover if you stay away from sweets and drink a LOT of water. If you are 40 pounds overweight, your body is not able to recover on its own.

My other thought was that it could be an STD :shrug:

I

Inkpen

Personal experience with this:
My sypmtoms:
Weight loss..
Excessive fatigue...always tired.
Excessive irritability..got pissed off at any and everything.
Face breaking out alot...too much sugar in system.
Very thirsty..drank A LOT of water..
Then used the batthroom a lot.
Vision changed..no longer needed glasses to drive,

Wnet to Dr with complains of bring so tired and angry ( not like me at all)

Dx: diabetes, type 2.
Treatment, 1 pill 2 x a day.
Limit intake of carbs...breads, certian fruits, (orange juice) and cut backon sugar.
I am limited ot 6o grams of carbs per meal; and a 35 gram snak at bed time.
I finger stick 2 x a day to make sure my blod suger is at a normal level.
For me: 90-130 is normal...and I exercise ( not as much as I would like).
And the weight loss..body could not access the carbs to burn for energy, so body was burning body fat.
Not to bad at first thought..but my blood sugar at time of initial test was 450.

Withing a week I ( with the help of meds) got it dowm to 240 and with in a month, it is got to 140's..now in that range or lower.

My danger food: carbs, breads, rolls, donuts, that stuff.
I am not one to eat candy bars, etc.
But bread: BAD.

Diabetes, if managed well, is OK..Changing how one eats is not to bad either.
Small servings every 4-6 hours and my blood sugar is fine.

Good luck and if you need more info, contact the diabetes class at St. Mary's Hospital. :howdy:

lkt

curly-locks
Toxick find a good endocrinologist and have them do a hemoglobin A1c test, regular fasting blood sugar tests are not as informative as this test it can see back months ...

it could be that u are insulin resistant (pre-diabetic) and can make changes in diet and exercise and get it under control .. but as ink said its not all that bad... meds and diet can keep diabetes in check.

Last edited:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
lkt said:
Toxick find a good endocrinologist and have them do a hemoglobin A1c test, regular fasting blood sugar tests are not as informative as this test it can see back months ...

it could be that u are insulin resistant (pre-diabetic) and can make changes in diet and exercise and get it under control .. but as ink said its not all that bad... meds and diet can keep diabetes in check.

that's where I started at. First sign was weight gain mainly in the abdoman (also a family trait - my mothers side also has huge thighs). While have not made an effort (yeah I know I SHOULD) to exercise like I should, I have managed to get my type II under control. I was on 1000 mg of glucophage, now I am on 750 mg. May not seem like a lot to some, but it really is a huge difference. My blood sugar should be just under 100 and I have been testing at 65 to 90. My clothes are fitting different, but I have not seen the difference on the scale.

On the other hand I am now hypothyroid........:faint: cure one and get another.... damn the luck. and old age.

Pandora

Inkpen said:
Personal experience with this:
My sypmtoms:
Weight loss..
Excessive fatigue...always tired.
Excessive irritability..got pissed off at any and everything.
Face breaking out alot...too much sugar in system.
Very thirsty..drank A LOT of water..
Then used the batthroom a lot.
Vision changed..no longer needed glasses to drive,

Wnet to Dr with complains of bring so tired and angry ( not like me at all)

Dx: diabetes, type 2.
Treatment, 1 pill 2 x a day.
Limit intake of carbs...breads, certian fruits, (orange juice) and cut backon sugar.
I am limited ot 6o grams of carbs per meal; and a 35 gram snak at bed time.
I finger stick 2 x a day to make sure my blod suger is at a normal level.
For me: 90-130 is normal...and I exercise ( not as much as I would like).
And the weight loss..body could not access the carbs to burn for energy, so body was burning body fat.
Not to bad at first thought..but my blood sugar at time of initial test was 450.

Withing a week I ( with the help of meds) got it dowm to 240 and with in a month, it is got to 140's..now in that range or lower.

My danger food: carbs, breads, rolls, donuts, that stuff.
I am not one to eat candy bars, etc.
But bread: BAD.

Diabetes, if managed well, is OK..Changing how one eats is not to bad either.
Small servings every 4-6 hours and my blood sugar is fine.

Good luck and if you need more info, contact the diabetes class at St. Mary's Hospital. :howdy:

Sounds like my experience. I was super sensitive too and would range from pissed to in tears. My blood sugar started in the 300 level. I didn’t do well with medication and if I keep my weight below a certain level, I do great. If I gain even a little, I feel it emotionally, mentally, and physically. I walk 30 minutes a day (or at least15 minutes on the elliptical), do Yoga, and I am going to start Pilates next week. My fasting blood sugar has been below 100 the past few months, which awesome. All you do is live with it! I was diagnosed in my early 20's, which is young, but my issues are most likely as a result of metabolic damage from medications I was on as a child.

Also, make sure you take vitamins. :flowers:

One more thing, if you are diagnosed, make sure they refer you to a good nutritionist in your area as well.

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
I just wanted to thank everyone for the good advice and all the information.

I haven't been to the doctor yet - I have an appointment on Monday - and I'm not a doctor myself, but I'll be amazed if I'm not diabetic. Since I wrote this thread, I've noticed that my vision has deteriorated somewhat (Not bad, but I have to squint a bit to see things even with my glasses on), but I'm quite fatigued - to the point where I've called in twice this week.

And just for grins, I went to my cousin who has diabetes, and checked my blood sugar with his little finger-pricker thing. I clocked in at 350-something after 10 hours of not eating, and after a sammich, I was 540+.

A few days ago after I complained in here about all the peeing and drinking - I realized that perhaps drinking fruit juice and diet soda wasn't the best beverage choices for my condition. I've switched to drinking water almost exclusively, and wonder of wonders, my bathroom frequency seems to have gone back to something like normal.

I've been avoid bread and pasta and other high-carb food like the plague for the past two-ish days. I still feel a little crappy, but a lot better than I did earlier in the week.

However the diagnosis turns out monday, I have to realize that I'm no longer a 23 year old body-builder, and I can no longer eat anything I want like I used to.

This is a sad realization for me. I'm really growing older... and my age is not just a clerical error that I can get cleared up at some point.

M

Mousebaby

Toxick said:
I just wanted to thank everyone for the good advice and all the information.

I haven't been to the doctor yet - I have an appointment on Monday - and I'm not a doctor myself, but I'll be amazed if I'm not diabetic. Since I wrote this thread, I've noticed that my vision has deteriorated somewhat (Not bad, but I have to squint a bit to see things even with my glasses on), but I'm quite fatigued - to the point where I've called in twice this week.

And just for grins, I went to my cousin who has diabetes, and checked my blood sugar with his little finger-pricker thing. I clocked in at 350-something after 10 hours of not eating, and after a sammich, I was 540+.

A few days ago after I complained in here about all the peeing and drinking - I realized that perhaps drinking fruit juice and diet soda wasn't the best beverage choices for my condition. I've switched to drinking water almost exclusively, and wonder of wonders, my bathroom frequency seems to have gone back to something like normal.

I've been avoid bread and pasta and other high-carb food like the plague for the past two-ish days. I still feel a little crappy, but a lot better than I did earlier in the week.

However the diagnosis turns out monday, I have to realize that I'm no longer a 23 year old body-builder, and I can no longer eat anything I want like I used to.

This is a sad realization for me. I'm really growing older... and my age is not just a clerical error that I can get cleared up at some point.

:poorbaby: It will be ok, just stick to your diet and exercise and lay off the soda's and juices and you should be ok! :huggy: