A painting of a Carmelite Nun named St. Therese that hangs on the wall inside of the red brick chapel. This is a copy of an original painting that was done in 1925. The original painting was created by St. Therese's blood sister Celine. Celine was also a Carmelite Nun.
The monastery was founded in 1790 by four Carmelite nuns. It was the first monastery of religious women in Colonial America. The monastery is still the active home of the discalced Carmelite Nuns of the Carmel of Port Tobacco. The Carmelite life is a call to prayer, tempered with hard work and shared community.