This is the original building that was constructed in the 1700's. It is not used today other than for historical purposes.
The monastery was founded in 1790 by four Carmelite nuns. It was the first monastery of religious women in Colonial America. The monastery is still the active home of the discalced Carmelite Nuns of the Carmel of Port Tobacco. The Carmelite life is a call to prayer, tempered with hard work and shared community.