The sun shines in through the stained glass windows above the door of the red brick church.
The monastery was founded in 1790 by four Carmelite nuns. It was the first monastery of religious women in Colonial America. The monastery is still the active home of the discalced Carmelite Nuns of the Carmel of Port Tobacco. The Carmelite life is a call to prayer, tempered with hard work and shared community.