Patuxent River Naval Air Center, Maryland April, 1998. Located 65 miles (105 km) southeast of Washington D. C. on a peninsula known as Center Point, the runways of the Patuxent River Naval Air Center can be seen in this south-looking view. The runways mark the area just south of where the mouth of the Patuxent River enters Chesapeake Bay. Patuxent was commissioned in April 1943 to centralize widely dispersed air testing facilities and is presently home to the Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division. Chesapeake Bay covers a good portion of the left side of the image. A small portion of the Delmarva Peninsula from Taylor´s Island to Hooper Island is visible in the bottom left portion of the image. The mouth of the Potomac River is visible in the upper center and upper right portion of the image.