‘Criminalizing poverty’: DA says he won’t prosecute thefts under $750 ‘committed out of necessity’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And if you swipe $749 worth of Pampers from Wal-Mart, it’s all good.
Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot Announces He Won't Prosecute 'Low-Level' Crimeshttps://t.co/l22Aa7BrErpic.twitter.com/eW3VhmIOlZ
— CBSDFW (@CBSDFW) April 12, 2019

Yes, among those low-level crimes are theft cases involving personal items worth less than $750, unless evidence shows it was for economic gain. So as long as you’re not reselling what you steal, just make sure you swipe less than $750 of personal items and you’re free to go.
Seriously, this is his reasoning:
Study after study shows that when we arrest, jail, and convict people for non-violent crimes committed out of necessity, we only prevent that person from gaining the stability necessary to lead a law-abiding life. Criminalizing poverty is counter-productive for our community’s health and safety. For that reason, this office will not prosecute theft of personal items less than $750 unless the evidence shows that the alleged theft was for economic gain.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/201...-thefts-under-750-committed-out-of-necessity/

glhs837

Power with Control
So, stealing to "gain the stability for a law-abiding life" is okay? So what if I don't resell what I steal but rather barter it for stuff that I sell? Once you decriminalize any sort of crime, you make it so that criminals have a pathway to legally commit crime.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hey! I have an idea! Why don't we close our borders to illegal foreigners and put all the money we spend on these people toward poor Americans so they don't have to steal diapers and food for their children?

You'd think even the dumbest progbot would go for that, but I'll bet you the usual suspects will be in here calling me names in 5...4...3...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Once you decriminalize any sort of crime, you make it so that criminals have a pathway to legally commit crime.

Yes, crime is now legal in Dallas. Fun times!

That's another city I'm glad I got to see before Democrats destroy it.

SamSpade

So if you're poor or destitute, you can regularly steal groceries every week?

You know, in some states, theft above 300 or 500 dollars is considered grand theft, which MAY be regarded as a felony.

SamSpade

I don't see how this can work, even if you want to be merciful. For one, what's the shop owner going to do - just suck it up?
This is why we HAVE safety net programs - so you don't have to commit a crime to eat.

But I can't see the mess it would make ANYWAY for people to determine whether a theft was "justified" in lieu of these
weak conditions.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I hope they consider what kind of phone the thief has. Also what kind of car they drive and other spending habits. Because if you buy a car beyond your means, those nasty car payments will cut into you grocery cash. Let's not mistake necessity for stupidity.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The rules are simple: you can steal anything you want, as long as it's for your own personal use and not over $750.

So conceivably you could steal a $600 TV one day, and the next day go pick up a $700 laptop, then the next day fill your cart with $700 worth of prime ribeyes. Three separate instances, three separate charges which will no longer be prosecuted. We could really live the big life in Dallas because everything is free. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a question, though, before I go on my non-crime spree:

Is everything free only if it comes from a retail store, or is it free if I break into someone's house and steal their personal property? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking that Dallas DA has some sweet bling at his house, and I'd like to have it for my own personal use. So maybe instead of lifting a TV from Walmart or wherever, I could just take this DA's TV instead. He probably has a pretty good laptop that I'd like to have, and I'll bet he has some terrific noshies in his fridge.

And we can all go take it for free because he said so himself!

Reactions: BOP

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
They better publish a list of necessity items. Someone with thinning hair might think a wig is a necessity. Take a taxi to work then stiff the driver because getting to work is a necessity. Lift a pack of smokes because you're jonesing for a smoke and it calms your nerves.

A creative lawyer should be able to talk a client out of a guilty charge if the policy is vague.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Take a taxi to work then stiff the driver because getting to work is a necessity.

I wouldn't do that because it's too personal. Why screw the cabbie just trying to make a living? But I'd absolutely help myself to the Dallas DA's belongings. He himself said I could. :yay:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I don't see how this can work, even if you want to be merciful. For one, what's the shop owner going to do - just suck it up?
This is why we HAVE safety net programs - so you don't have to commit a crime to eat.

But I can't see the mess it would make ANYWAY for people to determine whether a theft was "justified" in lieu of these
weak conditions.
The shop owner is going to get tired of people taking his crap and start shooting repeat offenders. I'd go with the defense that the guy isn't worth any more than the price of a bullet much less $750.00 therefore it isn't worth prosecuting.

Rommey

The shop owner is going to get tired of people taking his crap and start shooting repeat offenders. I'd go with the defense that the guy isn't worth any more than the price of a bullet much less $750.00 therefore it isn't worth prosecuting.
I'd claim he stole the bullet...

This_person

I wonder what this will do to business' insurance rates.

Dallas County District Attorney said:
For that reason, this office will not prosecute theft of personal items less than $750 unless the evidence shows that the alleged theft was for economic gain.

What theft has ever existed that was not "for economic gain"?

Hijinx

Think about it this way.
What is Dallas Counties crime rate?

In a little while this District Attorney will be reporting a huge drop in the crime rate of his city.
He will of course take credit for this drop.
And he will deserve credit because the drop will come because he doesn't prosecute criminals who only steal less than $750 dollars.

limblips

PREMO Member
So the retailer will raise prices to balance out loss by theft. So once again the law abiding consumers pay for the lowlife criminals. A few questions about this. 1. How many free passes do you get per day/week/month/year/lifetime? 2. Is the $750.00 going to be considered taxable income?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Not to worry. Real Texans will have no part of this. The crime rate will go down, not due to faux stats because of this, but because the criminals will be shot dead when they attempt to rob an armed Texan.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

Not to worry. Real Texans will have no part of this. The crime rate will go down, not due to faux stats because of this, but because the criminals will be shot dead when they attempt to rob an armed Texan.

You can't even open carry in TX without being harassed by police.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
They better publish a list of necessity items. Someone with thinning hair might think a wig is a necessity. Take a taxi to work then stiff the driver because getting to work is a necessity. Lift a pack of smokes because you're jonesing for a smoke and it calms your nerves.

A creative lawyer should be able to talk a client out of a guilty charge if the policy is vague.

Since when can a conceived "Policy" override "Laws"??