‘I met my husband online – and we’re just as stable as couples who met in the pub’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My husband and I first met in a bar. Which is somehow more exciting than saying that it was actually arranged via an app.

It says a lot about how highly humans prize kismet and happenstance that whenever someone says: “So how did you two meet?” I take a short inhale and prepare to disappoint them. Hinge.

From Ernst Lubitsch’s The Shop Around the Corner to Nora Ephron’s Sleepless in Seattle, we’ve learnt from movies that great love has an even greater meet-cute. Failing that, make it Glastonbury Festival or a ski slope or, at the very least, a friend’s wedding/birthday/blind-date set up.

Why, though, would it have made our relationship more special if we’d bumped into each other after too many drinks on a night out? The life we’ve built together matters far more than the matter of our meeting.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I 1st saw Anita about 1 PM on 27 AUG 77. For me, it was love at 1st sight.
I made her acquaintance 2 weeks later. She said yes to dating me 2 FEB 78.
Our 1st formal date was the Regimental Ball during our Winter Carnival weekend,
11 FEB 78. We were both cadets at Norwich, the military college in Vermont.
1700363998633.png

We were engaged 11 JUL 78 and wed on 26 JUN 82.

Clem72

My husband and I first met in a bar. Which is somehow more exciting than saying that it was actually arranged via an app.

It says a lot about how highly humans prize kismet and happenstance that whenever someone says: “So how did you two meet?” I take a short inhale and prepare to disappoint them. Hinge.

From Ernst Lubitsch’s The Shop Around the Corner to Nora Ephron’s Sleepless in Seattle, we’ve learnt from movies that great love has an even greater meet-cute. Failing that, make it Glastonbury Festival or a ski slope or, at the very least, a friend’s wedding/birthday/blind-date set up.

Why, though, would it have made our relationship more special if we’d bumped into each other after too many drinks on a night out? The life we’ve built together matters far more than the matter of our meeting.

What year is this, 1995? Who would still be surprised by this, members of the greatest generation?

SamSpade

What year is this, 1995? Who would still be surprised by this, members of the greatest generation?
I suspect there are some even of the younger generations who sneer as though meeting someone via anything but sheer luck, in person, is somehow inferior. Fact is, a substantial number of MY FRIENDS I know mostly online if I didn't also meet them there. And these are, as DJ says, dirt friends - in the real world, people whose homes I go to. Virtually ALL of my old friends who have moved far away - I have RE-connected with them via online (mostly Facebook).

The Internet is just an integral part of life.

Clem72

I suspect there are some even of the younger generations who sneer as though meeting someone via anything but sheer luck, in person, is somehow inferior. Fact is, a substantial number of MY FRIENDS I know mostly online if I didn't also meet them there. And these are, as DJ says, dirt friends - in the real world, people whose homes I go to. Virtually ALL of my old friends who have moved far away - I have RE-connected with them via online (mostly Facebook).

The Internet is just an integral part of life.
I'm not entirely sure it is possible for most young people to meet someone new without having met them online first. They don't move outside their social circles, they don't go "bar hopping" without first organizing through tinder or whatever app of the day is. I guess a couple randos might meet while high out of their minds at burning man.

SamSpade

I'm not entirely sure it is possible for most young people to meet someone new without having met them online first. They don't move outside their social circles, they don't go "bar hopping" without first organizing through tinder or whatever app of the day is. I guess a couple randos might meet while high out of their minds at burning man.
If for some reason, I should find myself single again - I have no idea how I would meet anyone. I am MUCH older, and even if I were to go to the places where people meet - they'd all be children to me. In the past, I had the advantage of meeting people through work, at the gym, through - at the time - school. Actual neighbors who went outside. And friends, of friends. Work is filled with people much younger than me IF I ever see them, and church is the same.

Without the Internet - I have no idea how I would make friends, let alone make a connection.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My son met his girl in a parking lot in Leonardtown where the redneck hoodlums used to hang out and show off their rides to one another.

PeoplesElbow

I 1st saw Anita about 1 PM on 27 AUG 77. For me, it was love at 1st sight.
I made her acquaintance 2 weeks later. She said yes to dating me 2 FEB 78.
Our 1st formal date was the Regimental Ball during our Winter Carnival weekend,
11 FEB 78. We were both cadets at Norwich, the military college in Vermont.
View attachment 173762
We were engaged 11 JUL 78 and wed on 26 JUN 82.
Nice picture, you do look like you are trying very hard to not move.