‘Juneteenth’ Should Not Be A Federal Holiday

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
These federal holidays have always involved some expression of gratitude. We thank God on Thanksgiving, Christmas and even Independence Day, which, in the words of John Adams, “ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.” Washington’s Birthday, Columbus Day, and Martin Luther King Jr. Day were established to express our national appreciation for great men who helped to build our country. On Veterans Day, we give thanks to our servicemen; on Memorial Day, to those servicemen no longer with us; and on Labor Day, to the ordinary workers who do their jobs day in and day out to keep our country running. Even New Year’s Day involves “a cup o’ kindness yet for auld lang syne.”

But gratitude seems conspicuously absent from the recent recognition of “Juneteenth.” It commemorates no concrete act or particular man but rather an overdue, inconclusive episode on the never-ending march toward progress. If legislators merely wanted to mark the end of slavery, both the anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation and the Thirteenth Amendment seem better candidates than a local tradition from Galveston, Texas. And both would occasion gratitude — for Lincoln, for the legislators, for the concrete acts that secured the freedom of the slaves.

But that sort of gratitude now offends the Left. Noah Berlatsky, an editor of The Atlantic, typified this attitude in 2014 when he took to the pages of his magazine to whine about “white savior” narratives in several films, including a biopic about Abraham Lincoln, the white savior who freed the slaves. This week, NPR television critic Eric Deggans went even further, criticizing Tom Hanks for having portrayed white men in any way “doing the right thing” in his historical films.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'm thinking that all holidays designated for black folk now should all be combined into one day. Just like Washington's Birthday and Presidents Day has. Just think of all the sales promotions that are coming our way in the future for these days off? Cadillac will have 25% off their latest offering. Newports will sell for buy one carton get the second free. Colt 45 malt liquor? Buy one one get 10, with free delivery. Yup, can't wait.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
These federal holidays have always involved some expression of gratitude. We thank God on Thanksgiving, Christmas and even Independence Day, which, in the words of John Adams, “ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.” Washington’s Birthday, Columbus Day, and Martin Luther King Jr. Day were established to express our national appreciation for great men who helped to build our country. On Veterans Day, we give thanks to our servicemen; on Memorial Day, to those servicemen no longer with us; and on Labor Day, to the ordinary workers who do their jobs day in and day out to keep our country running. Even New Year’s Day involves “a cup o’ kindness yet for auld lang syne.”

But gratitude seems conspicuously absent from the recent recognition of “Juneteenth.”

What a ****tard. I imagine black people are grateful they aren't slaves anymore, and most white people are glad of that as well. I know I am.

The keening over Juneteenth just boggles my mind. Are we really that effing retarded that we'll bitch about a federal commemoration of the end of slavery in this country???

Knowles had to go through a taffy puller with that piece, he stretched so hard. It's just more divisive race-baiting BS.

SamSpade

The keening over Juneteenth just boggles my mind. Are we really that effing retarded that we'll bitch about a federal commemoration of the end of slavery in this country???

You should take a few moments to Google national holidays in other countries - some of them sound stupid, and an astonishing number of them are directly connected to Christianity (Easter, Good Friday, Assumption, Ascension, Whit Monday and so on).

herb749

You should take a few moments to Google national holidays in other countries - some of them sound stupid, and an astonishing number of them are directly connected to Christianity (Easter, Good Friday, Assumption, Ascension, Whit Monday and so on).

That's like Boxing Day in Canada has nothing to do with boxing . :razz:

PeoplesElbow

I know France has a crap ton.

rio

I don't have a problem with it becoming a federal holiday, but like others, wonder why it was implemented at the last minute and expect things to be just fine. My husband's work relies on people getting building permit inspections done. They had many customers scheduled to get those done today so they could get their work done. Nope. Last minute the county closed their office and now all those customers have to be rescheduled for inspection , then reschedule for the work to be done. Trickle down effect....

Hijinx

I would like to go to the unveiling so i could take a knee when they sing the black National Anthem.