‘Negative Depictions’: Disney+ Blocks Children Under 7 From Watching ‘Peter Pan,’ ‘Dumbo,’ Other Classics

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Disney is censoring four of their classic films from the Disney+ accounts of children under age seven, citing what they described as the “negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures.”

“Dumbo,” “Peter Pan,” “Swiss Family Robinson,” and “The Aristocats” are no longer available for young users of the streaming account service, according to The Mail on Sunday.

The move is a follow-up to content warnings the entertainment company placed on some of its older films in October to provide context for characters that would today be deemed offensive.

Adult users can still access the children’s movies, albeit after sitting through the 12-second content disclaimer that cannot be skipped. The disclaimer also directs viewers to a website called “Stories Matter,” which says, “Because happily ever after doesn’t just happen.”

SamSpade

After having seen 'Dumbo' - I can sort of see it. But only an adult would see it as racial. Kids see birds. There's no subliminal messaging that reinforces racial stereotypes. By this reasoning, we would absolutely have to get rid of a ton of Bug Bunny cartoons.

I think some people spend either a lot of time virtue signaling or search for "racial" in everything.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
After having seen 'Dumbo' - I can sort of see it. But only an adult would see it as racial. Kids see birds. There's no subliminal messaging that reinforces racial stereotypes. By this reasoning, we would absolutely have to get rid of a ton of Bug Bunny cartoons.

I think some people spend either a lot of time virtue signaling or search for "racial" in everything.

They have no life.

SamSpade

I'm mulling over in my mind just HOW MANY Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Three Stooges, Scooby Doo and so on depicted some group unfavorably.

herb749

Years ago they toned down Tom & Jerry over the violence. Not sure of any racial content. Now Bugs Bunny has some if you include the Yosemite Sam ones.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

Clem72

I remember in the 80's when most of the violence was edited out of Bugs Bunny Cartoons .. explosions happened off camera

They just replaced them with extra scenes of him dressing as a woman and kissing elmer fudd.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which group has the negative stereotype in Peter Pan? The pirates?

Well if you have to ask clearly you are not woke enough. Report to your local reeducation camp immediately!

Honestly, though, I do look back on some of those cartoons and cringe at the racial stereotypes. I have no opinion on whether or not they should be censored or banned, but I do know that if we're going down that path we should go all the way and ban Rocky and Bullwinkle because of the negative Russian stereotype. We should ban the Flintstones for sexism - when Betty and Wilma get all excited about shopping, "Da da da da dada! CHARGE IT!"

SamSpade

Well if you have to ask clearly you are not woke enough. Report to your local reeducation camp immediately!

Definitely get rid of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "The King and I".
Seriously - we can't go there. If it were extreme right, we'd be left with just the Bible - and the extreme left, we'd just have government approved propaganda.

This isn't "freedom".

SamSpade

The King of Siam - played by a Russian and who is obviously a benevolent tyrant - the central story is he is compelling a young girl to be his bride - among many - against her wishes - and so on. There's nothing socially acceptable in his behavior by modern social standards.

Breakfast at Tiffiany's has one of the MOST racist depictions of an Asian portrayed by Mickey Rooney.

Here is what it is - everything has SOMETHING you can find objectionable if you only try hard enough to look for them.
All of Star Wars - every single bad guy - except Vader and Stormtroopers - they all have British accents.
In The Phantom Menace, Bink's character mocks Jamaicans and Caribbean people, the Trade Guild is mocking Japanese.
In the first movies every good guy is white - except for Calrissian - who when we first meet him, betrays his friend and lets him be tortured.

Pick a movie franchise - yeah, SOMEONE can find racism. Guaranteed.

I'm seeing Harrison Bergeron in our future.