Governor “The People’s Priorities”: What They’re Saying About Governor Hogan’s State of the State Address

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
Governor Calls for a Bipartisan Path Forward on Addressing Marylanders’ Most Pressing Issues

(Watch)

“Hogan uses State of the State address to focus on crime in Baltimore, partisanship,” The Washington Post: “Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan used his sixth State of the State address Wednesday to elevate the unrelenting violence in Baltimore as the state’s most pressing problem, and to draw a contrast with the rancor defining national politics.” (Erin Cox and Ovetta Wiggins, “Hogan uses State of the State address to focus on crime in Baltimore, partisanship,” Washington Post, 2/5/20)

“Maryland Gov. Hogan presses lawmakers to act on ‘out of control crime’ in Baltimore,” The Baltimore Sun: “This is an urgent crisis and we have an obligation to do something about it right now.” Baltimore, the state’s largest city, has suffered from more than 300 homicides a year for five consecutive years.” (Pamela Wood and Luke Broadwater, “Maryland Gov. Hogan presses lawmakers to act on ‘out of control crime’ in Baltimore,” Baltimore Sun, 2/5/20)

“State of the State: Maryland Gov. Calls Crime an ‘Urgent Crisis,’” AP: “Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is highlighting the need to reduce violent crime in Baltimore in his State of the State speech. Hogan released excerpts ahead of his annual speech Wednesday to the Maryland General Assembly. He says crime is an urgent crisis and decisive action is needed. The Republican governor is calling for bipartisanship in his speech to the legislature, which is controlled by Democrats.” (Staff, “State of the State: Maryland Gov. Calls Crime an ‘Urgent Crisis,’” Associated Press, 2/5/20)

“6 Priorities Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan Is Investing In This Year: Crime, Education, Transportation & More,” WJZ: “Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan gave his State of the State address Wednesday and his top priority is decreasing violent crime in Baltimore. But, he also discussed his other priorities, ranging from improving transportation around the state to investing more in schools and helping Maryland’s retirees.” (Pat Warren, “6 Priorities Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan Is Investing In This Year: Crime, Education, Transportation & More,” WJZ, 2/5/20)

“’Prayers are not enough’ | Gov. Hogan promotes gun reform bills in Maryland State address,” WUSA: “In an effort to help curb those grim numbers in Maryland — which he called an urgent crisis — Hogan highlighted various gun reform movements in his address: The Violent Firearm Offenders Act aims to increase the penalties for those who illegally possess and commit crimes with guns, including convicted gang members. Repeat Firearms Offenders Act of 2019, which will increase the minimum sentence to ten years for repeat offenders who use a gun to commit a violent crime” (Kelly Shultz, “’Prayers are not enough’ | Gov. Hogan promotes gun reform bills in Maryland State address,” WUSA, 2/5/20)

“Hogan’s 2020 State of the State focuses on Baltimore crime, taxes,’” WBAL: “Lawmakers greeted the governor with enthusiastic applause. Unlike the tone set in President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address, Hogan warmly embraced Adrienne Jones and recognized her historic position as the first female and African American speaker of the House.” (David Collins, “Hogan’s 2020 State of the State focuses on Baltimore crime, taxes,” WBAL, 2/5/20)

“’No more excuses’ Hogan says of addressing Baltimore crime at annual address,” Baltimore Business Journal: “In his State of the State address Wednesday, Gov. Larry Hogan touched on all the usual topics: education, transportation, improving the health of the Chesapeake Bay and strengthening Maryland’s economy. But all of those priorities pale in comparison, he said, to the need to address public safety in Baltimore.” (Amanda Yeager, “’No more excuses’ Hogan says of addressing Baltimore crime at annual address,” Baltimore Business Journal, 2/5/20)

“Md. Gov. Hogan touts retiree tax cut, unity in State of the State address,” WTOP: “Hogan encouraged legislators at the Maryland State House to pass his plan to eliminate state income tax for retirees with an income of $50,000 or less, and a 50% reduction for those making $100,000 or less. ‘Nearly every day,’ Hogan said, ‘I hear from folks who say, ‘I love the state of Maryland. I’ve spent my whole life here, and I don’t want to leave my kids and grandkids, but I just can’t afford to stay here on a fixed income.’” (Rick Massimo, “Md. Gov. Hogan touts retiree tax cut, unity in State of the State address,” WTOP, 2/5/20)

“Hogan implores legislators during State of State address to address violent crime in Baltimore,” Maryland Reporter: “The first bill would increase penalties for those who commit gun violence. It targets those who illegally possess a gun such as in cases of theft or ownership by felons. The second bill would increase penalties for those who threaten or try to intimidate people who come forward with information about a crime. The third bill would require the state to make the sentencing records of judges who adjudicate violent offenses available to the public.” (Bryan Renbaum, “Hogan implores legislators during State of State address to address violent crime in Baltimore,” Maryland Reporter, 2/5/20)

“Hogan Calls on Legislators to Help Baltimore ‘Take Back Its Streets,’” WYPR: “Hogan also highlighted other parts of his crime package. One bill makes it easier for courts to charge someone with crimes related to witness intimidation. Another requires all of the sentences judges issue for violent crimes to be compiled in an annual report.” (Rachel Baye, “Hogan Calls on Legislators to Help Baltimore ‘Take Back Its Streets,’” WYPR, 2/6/20)

“Local lawmakers give Hogan speech high marks,” Cumberland Times-News: “‘I thought the governor did a good job of highlighting concerns and the realization that we have a tremendous violent crime problem not just in Baltimore but many places,’ said Buckel. ‘That was good that (Gov. Hogan) mentioned it. We have to stop being soft on crime.’ Hogan also praised Maryland lawmakers for their bipartisan work. Buckel hopes that bipartisan spirit will help with a new crime bill.” (Greg Larry, “Local lawmakers give Hogan speech high marks,” Cumberland Times-News, 2/6/20)

-###-