1 Chronicles 2 Back to Judah's

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 2:1 These were the sons of Israel:

Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, 2 Dan, Joseph, Benjamin, Naphtali, Gad and Asher.

3 The sons of Judah:

Er, Onan and Shelah. These three were born to him by a Canaanite woman, the daughter of Shua. Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death. 4 Judah’s daughter-in-law Tamar bore Perez and Zerah to Judah. He had five sons in all.

5 The sons of Perez:

Hezron and Hamul.

6 The sons of Zerah:

Zimri, Ethan, Heman, Kalkol and Darda[a]—five in all.

7 The son of Karmi:

Achar,(b) who brought trouble on Israel by violating the ban on taking devoted things.[c]

8 The son of Ethan:

Azariah.

9 The sons born to Hezron were:

Jerahmeel, Ram and Caleb.[d]​

a. 1 Chronicles 2:6 Many Hebrew manuscripts, some Septuagint manuscripts and Syriac (see also 1 Kings 4:31); most Hebrew manuscripts Dara
b. 1 Chronicles 2:7 Achar means trouble; Achar is called Achan in Joshua.
c, 1 Chronicles 2:7 The Hebrew term refers to the irrevocable giving over of things or persons to the Lord, often by totally destroying them.
d. 1 Chronicles 2:9 Hebrew Kelubai, a variant of Caleb

So many of us are going to family parties this time of year. This would be quite a party. This is just part of the Jewish side of the family. I was at the Arab party yesterday... where I saw Esau and his side of the family.... Redheads probably. Anyway, today it's time to start meeting the Jewish side of the family since Noah's family survived the flood.

This is from the easy English site.

Here is a list of the 12 sons of Israel. From them came the 12 tribes of Israel. Leah was the mother of the first 6 sons in this list (Reuben to Zebulun). They are in the order of their births. The mother of Joseph and Benjamin was Rachel. Bilhah was the mother of Dan and Naphtali. And Zilpah was the mother of Gad and Asher.

Judah married a woman who was from Canaan. She was the daughter of Shua. Judah and his wife had three sons. Judah arranged the marriage of his son Er to Tamar. But Er was so wicked that the LORD killed him. The custom was that a brother of the dead husband should try to have children by the widow. Onan would not have children for his brother. The LORD also killed Onan because he was a wicked man. Judah promised to give Shelah to Tamar when he was older. But he did not do it. So, Tamar pretended to be a prostitute and Judah had sex with her. The result of this was that Judah and Tamar had two boys (see Genesis chapter 38). These boys were Perez and Zerah.
Canaan was the nation that was in the country before Israel.

Perez had two sons. Zerah had 5 sons. Carmi came from the family of Zerah. He was a son of Zimri.

The Israelites expected to take Ai town in battle. But when they attacked the town, the people from Ai defeated them. They asked the LORD why they had lost the battle. They lost because of Achar. He had taken things for himself after a previous battle. His sin brought about this disaster for Israel. This story is in Joshua chapter 7 (where Achar is called Achan). The word ‘Achar’ means ‘trouble’.

The rest of this chapter is about the families of these three sons (Jerahmeel, Ram, and Caleb).​

So... we got two tasty bits of family drama gossip from just a short listen in.

One of Judah's daughter-in-laws is acting up. She must have had a real wringer for a first husband, Er. God killed him because he was so evil. [I guess he went a little overboard in pushing the envelope on the meaning of to "Er" is human.] Well then she was pushed on Er's brother.... Onan. God killed him too. Apparently he was a big fan of the "withdrawal" birth control method. I wonder... did Judah ever mention to Tamar that there were only so many sons? I wonder if Judah thought Tamar was like a black widow spider. I wonder if that's why he told her to wait until one of his youngest sons got old enough to procreate.

Well, Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar didn't have the benefit of our knowledge of the human anatomy. I bet she didn't know how long she could wait. After all our internal clocks hadn't been prodded or tested yet. This is back before thermometers let alone ultrasound equipment. Tamar devised a plan. Tamar slept with Judah.... and had twins! Juicy gossip indeed.

Oh and watch your wallet around Archan. He's a selfish magpie. He likes to steal tiny objects... it doesn't matter who it might hurt. God caught him holding during one of the battles. When they got to Ai...

This is from Bible.org.

Achan’s behavior also illustrates how one or a few believers out of fellowship, when pursuing their own selfish desires and agendas, can negatively impact an entire group. Such behavior can create trouble for the rest. Achan’s name, the Hebrew, akan, is a play on the word akor, which means “trouble.” So Joshua would declare that the Lord would bring trouble (akor) on Achan who had become a “troubler” to the nation because of his sin. Thus, the site of Achan’s death and grave was called, “the valley of Achor”. Though the crime was committed by one person, the whole nation was considered guilty. The nation was responsible for the obedience of every citizen and was charged with the punishment of every offender.​

As I post this... it's the Christmas Holiday Season. Kids are excited and eating a ton of sugar.... poor things are hanging from the walls like splatballs. Adults are trying to prove they can run up a credit card with the best of them. Family is coming in from out of town, bringing all that family dirty laundry to air out. The air is thick with cookies, Christmas Tree pine, pumpkin lattes, and family drama.

This is a reminder to myself.... my family rocks compared to these chosen humans. My family can out-drama their family hands down.... I know it's not something to be too proud of .... but hey... small victories... right? This year we're not doing drama... we're going to do the "oh I've missed you so much" path.

Tamar taught me... Children are a gift from God!
Archan taught me.... I am my brother's keeper!

Preachy.... that's preachy.

:coffee: