1 Chronicles 29 Hail new king

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 29:21 The next day they made sacrifices to the Lord and presented burnt offerings to him: a thousand bulls, a thousand rams and a thousand male lambs, together with their drink offerings, and other sacrifices in abundance for all Israel. 22 They ate and drank with great joy in the presence of the Lord that day.

Then they acknowledged Solomon son of David as king a second time, anointing him before the Lord to be ruler and Zadok to be priest. 23 So Solomon sat on the throne of the Lord as king in place of his father David. He prospered and all Israel obeyed him. 24 All the officers and warriors, as well as all of King David’s sons, pledged their submission to King Solomon.

25 The Lord highly exalted Solomon in the sight of all Israel and bestowed on him royal splendor such as no king over Israel ever had before.​

OK... my son-in-law got a smoker for Christmas last year. He's making ribs for Superbowl Sunday and I'll take my potato salad and deviled eggs. Anyway.... when I read the verses for this posting... I thought to myself.... wow what would do with a whole bull or a whole ram or lamb? I cannot wrap my head around all that meat that was sacrificed for the coronation of Israel's first heir king.

Remember, David and Saul were not directly related. Saul was the first king, David the second and now David has handed the throne down to his son Solomon. It's a first.

Now, it seems that no day can go absolutely without drama in David's time. I got this report from biblestudytools.com.

made Solomon . . king the second time--in reference to the first time, which was done precipitately on Adonijah's conspiracy ( 1 Kings 1:35 ).

they . . . anointed . . . Zadok--The statement implies that his appointment met the popular approval. His elevation as sole high priest was on the disgrace of Abiathar, one of Adonijah's accomplices.

Small review about the drama.... I got this from gotquestions.org.

Adonijah—like his brother Absalom before him (2 Samuel 15)—gathered an army and put himself forward as king, regardless of the fact that David’s chosen successor was Solomon. Some influential men supported Adonijah’s move, including Joab, the captain of the army; and Abiathar the priest. But others opposed Adonijahs plans, including Nathan the prophet, Zadok the priest, and David’s wife Bathsheba (1 Kings 1:8).​

Solomon wasn't the oldest son. He was Bathsheba's son and IMHO....David did Bathsheba wrong... she lost her husband and a child over David's lust.... so it was fitting that David left the throne to Solomon.

I guess it's easy to tell, though, that I don't think Solomon was all the man the Sunday School teachers and preachers have embellished him to be. He might have been "wise" but let's face it... what wise man has 700 wives, 300 concubines, stalks a whorehouse, and only four children? I believe there is a lot more about Solomon then meets the eye.

:coffee: