1 Chronicles 3 Born in Hebron

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 3:1 These were the sons of David born to him in Hebron:

The firstborn was Amnon the son of Ahinoam of Jezreel;

the second, Daniel the son of Abigail of Carmel;

2 the third, Absalom the son of Maakah daughter of Talmai king of Geshur;

the fourth, Adonijah the son of Haggith;

3 the fifth, Shephatiah the son of Abital;

and the sixth, Ithream, by his wife Eglah.

4 These six were born to David in Hebron, where he reigned seven years and six months.​

Ok... it says here that David was the king in Hebron and while he was there he had six wives.

Here's the easy English commentary.

The writer returns to the point at which he left the family of Ram (2:15). He shows the family of David. From that time, the family of David became the royal family of Judah. David had children in Hebron by 6 wives. These wives were Ahinoam, Abigail, Maacah, Haggith, Abital and Eglah.

The second son Daniel also had the name Chileab (2 Samuel 3:3). Abigail had been the wife of Nabal. As soon as Nabal died, David took her as his wife (1 Samuel chapter 25). Perhaps people were not sure whose child Chileab was. He could have been a son of Nabal but more likely, he was a son of David. The name ‘Daniel’ means ‘God is my judge’. Also, David gave him the name Chileab. The name ‘Chileab’ means ‘he who is like the father’. The boy was very much like David, so clearly he was David’s son.

David was king of Judah for 7 and a half years in Hebron. When he became king of all Israel, he decided to live in Jerusalem. He ruled there for 33 years.

So... I remember Nabal as the drunk who ran David's men off. Abigail went out and straightened things out with David before he had to go in and murder everyone for the principal of it all. He was going to be the next King after Saul... This issue with Nabal was a biggie.

After Nabal drank himself into a stroke.... he died and David took Abigail as his wife. It says here that their son has a couple names.... interesting....

According to enduring word, Daniel wasn't the only one with two names.

Now these were the sons of David: David had several wives (seven are listed here; Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, Abigail the Carmelitess, Maacah, Haggith, Abital, Eglah, Bathshua). These were in addition to his concubines (1 Kings 3:9).

Daniel: “In 2 Samuel 3:3, this person is called Chileab; he probably had two names. The Targum says, ‘The second, Daniel, who was also called Chileab, because he was in every respect like to his father.” (Clarke)​

Eglah: Most suppose that this is another name for Michal, the daughter of Saul

This story of Daniel/Chileab could just be a wonderful love story. David must have been quite impressed with Abigail. After all, she was beautiful [he had a type so I'm assuming she is beautiful] and smart. When her husband Nabal, died, a lot of land went up for grabs.

The Bible doesn't say that Abigail was pregnant when all this drama was going on.... maybe she got pregnant quickly after David married her... and people questioned the babies fatherhood....

Maybe, David named him Daniel but nicknamed him Chileab because he wanted him to remember his father.... whichever one it was.....

Was David also a great step father???? Something to think of... I'm sure back in those days... they didn't particularly take to the kids brought over when the men died leaving land, women, and children to be divided. If Nabal did have a son... the Bible doesn't seem to say David adopted him legally or anything.

Couldn't this be a hint about our adoption into Jesus' family. I mean would God name us Chileab? Aren't we supposed to try to be like Jesus? Confusing... but mostly... heartwarming.

:coffee: