1 Peter 5 Example of Love and Hope

seekeroftruth

1 Peter 5:1 To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: 2 Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; 3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
5 In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
“God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble.”[a]
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.
12 With the help of Silas,[b] whom I regard as a faithful brother, I have written to you briefly, encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it.
13 She who is in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you her greetings, and so does my son Mark. 14 Greet one another with a kiss of love.
Peace to all of you who are in Christ.

a. 1 Peter 5:5 Prov. 3:34
b. 1 Peter 5:12 Greek Silvanus, a variant of Silas

This is from bible_studys.org.

I who am a fellow elder: Peter was qualified to speak because he is a fellow elder. Though Peter was clearly the prominent disciple among the twelve, he claimed no special privilege or position, such as being the pope of the early church. Instead, Peter saw himself only as one fellow elder among all the elders in the church.​

Not by compulsion but willingly: Shepherds should not do their job by compulsion, as if they were being forced into a task that they really hated. Instead they should serve God and His people willingly, from a heart that loves God’s people as a shepherd loves sheep and wants to serve them.​
None of God’s soldiers are mercenaries or pressed men: they are all volunteers. We must have a shepherd’s heart if we would do a shepherd’s work.” (Meyer)​
Not for dishonest gain but eagerly: Spiritual shepherds should not do their job for dishonest gain. The gain is dishonest because it was their motive for serving as shepherds. Instead, they should serve eagerly, willing to serve apart from financial compensation.​
Could the office of a bishop, in those early days, and in the time of persecution, be a lucrative office? Does not the Spirit of God lead the apostle to speak these things rather for posterity than for that time?” (Clarke)​
Nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock: Shepherds should not do their job as lords, because the sheep do not belong to them. The sheep are entrusted to them. Therefore shepherds are to serve by being examples, not dictators.​

Nor as being lords shows that in the mind of Peter, shepherds had significant authority in the early church. If the office of shepherd was so powerless that a shepherd didn’t rule and lead, then there was little potential for being lords. Yet because Peter gives this warning, it shows there was the potential for lording over.
The sobering fact is that pastors are examples to the flock, whether they intend to be or not. It is interesting to see how a congregation takes on the personality of its pastor in both good ways and bad ways.
Those entrusted to you: “That noun means ‘a lot,’ and then ‘that which is assigned by lot,’ a portion or a share of something… God has assigned the various portions of His precious possession to their personal care.” (Hiebert) The idea is that God has entrusted the responsibility of the spiritual care of certain individuals to particular shepherds.

Likewise you younger people: Peter began this word of humility to you younger people, in contrast to the elders he had just addressed. But he soon realized that it is of application to all of you. This word to be submissive to one another and be clothed with humility applies to everyone, but perhaps especially to the young.
Clothed with humility: Humility is demonstrated by submission. It is the ability to cheerfully put away our own agenda for God’s, even if God’s agenda is expressed through another person.​
Yes, all of you means that this is for all, both elders and “youngers.” “Strive all to serve each other; let the pastors strive to serve the people, and the people the pastors; and let there be no contention, but who shall do most to oblige and profit all the rest.” (Clarke)​
Be clothed with humility: The phrasebe clothed translates a rare word that referred to a slave putting on an apron before serving, even as Jesus did before washing the disciple’s feet (John 13:4).​
Some marks of humility:​
· The willingness to perform the lowest and littlest services for Jesus’ sake.​
· Consciousness of our own inability to do anything apart from God.​
· The willingness to be ignored of men.​
· Not so much self-hating or depreciation as self-forgetfulness, and being truly others-centered instead of self-centered.​
For “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble”: Peter quoted Proverbs 3:34 to show that humility is essential to our relationship with God. If we want to live in God’s grace (His unmerited favor) then we must lay aside our pride and be humble – not only to Him but also to one another.​
Resists: “The verb vividly pictures God as one who places Himself in battle array against such individuals.” (Hiebert)​
Grace and pride are eternal enemies. Pride demands that God bless me in light of what I think I deserve. Grace deals with me on the basis what is in God, not on the basis of anything in me.​
“Pride is one of the most detestable of sins; yet does it find lodgment in earnest souls, though we often speak of it by some lighter name. We call it – independence, self-reliance. We do not always discern it in the hurt feeling, which retires into itself, and nurses its sorrows in a sulk… We are proud of our humility, vain of our meekness; and, putting on the saintliest look, we wonder whether all around are not admiring us for our lowliness.” (Meyer)​
“If you are willing to be nothing God will make something of you. The way to the top of the ladder is to begin at the lowest round. In fact in the church of God, the way up is to go down; but he that is ambitious to be at the top will find himself before long at the bottom.” (Spurgeon)​

For He cares for you: At their best moments the religions of ancient Greek culture could imagine a God who was good. Yet they never came to the place where they believed in a God who cared. The God of the Bible – the God who is really there – is a God who cares for you.​
It is the belief that God cares that marks off Christianity from all other religions, which under all varieties of form are occupied with the task of making God care, of awakening by sacrifice or prayer or act the slumbering interest of the Deity.” (Masterman, cited in Hiebert)​
We often judge the parents by the children. When a child of God is full of worry and fear, doesn’t the world have reason to believe that their Father in heaven doesn’t care for them? Our worry and fear reflects poorly – and unfairly – upon God.
Knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world: We also take comfort in knowing that we are never alone in our spiritual warfare. Our brothers and sisters in Jesus have fought, and are fighting, the same battles.​
She who is in Babylon… greets you: She probably refers to the church, which in the ancient Greek is in the feminine. Peter apparently wrote from Babylon. This may be the literal city of Babylon (which still existed in Peter’s day), or it may be a symbolic way of referring to either Rome or Jerusalem. These were two cities that in Peter’s day were famous for their wickedness and spiritual rebellion, just like ancient Babylon was. In any regard, this was one church greeting another.​
There was of course the literal city of Babylon on the Euphrates. There was also a place known as Babylon in Egypt, and it was a Roman military fortress near the present city of Cairo. Yet many think that Peter meant “Babylon” in a symbolic sense to represent the city of Rome. As a Biblical concept, “Babylon” as the city of this world stands in contrast to “Jerusalem” as the city of God. He may have meant Rome as Babylon as “the center of worldliness.”
I really don't think Peter is saying all that much.... but it takes a lot of words to explain what Peter might have meant. It's a letter written by an Apostle of Jesus.... who knew Jesus personally.... to the Jews [descendants of Jacob great great whatever grandson of Seth. Noah's son] and to the Gentiles [descendants of Ham and Japheth, Noah's sons] who were members of the Christian Church in Jerusalem.

These Jews and Gentiles dealt with important questions.... like "Is it necessary to be circumcised psychically [foreskin removed from the penis] to be a Christian?" or "Do I have to eat only kosher [food ritually prepared] to be a Christian?".... they also dealt with..... "Can I bring my little wooden buddy [idol] and lay it right here in the church building so I can adore it?". They dealt with the big things.... and now all the Christians were being accused of burning Rome to the ground, eating their babies, and having orgies in the church.

I think Peter was reminding the membership that they are God's example. Peter says whatever Christians do... they should try to please God. Peter says Jesus pleased God.... so we should try to be like Jesus.... do what Jesus did.

Peter says he's writing from Babylon. Now there's some discussion in the commentary about Babylon. Was it a real Babylon.... like the one on the Euphrates or was it the Babylon in Egypt... modern day Cairo. I bet some would say Peter's stuck in a place where there is no Christian church and everything is run by the emperor. The point is.... he was in a place where he felt the need to call the elders [leaders] of the church to remind the church that they should behave like Jesus if they want to be a good example.

Being a Christian in the days of Peter..... was a chore. Christians were hunted.... they were hated.... and yet they had to be good examples.

Christians were assigned the task of feeding the less fortunate. Christians were assigned the task of healing the sick... caring for the widows and orphans... and feeding everyone with food and hope.

I don't think the Christian Church is eating their babies or having huge orgies. I do think the members of the church are having quiet little abortions... while others in their Sunday School class or Bible Study are consoling them and telling them "it's ok.... you had to do it". I do think the choir director may be having an affair with one of the ladies in the church.... and the others in the Sunday School, Bible Study, or even choir practice are so tempted to gossip about them. I do think preachers are applying the preferences of the larger donors over those of the less fortunate. I do believe the Christian Church of today has flown off the handle... excluding people because they "don't belong".

Jesus taught, healed, and sheltered everyone who would accept Him. He didn't force anyone to join the Church. He taught anyone who would listen.... all the humans who were created after the flood were welcome. That means everyone.... even those from that cursed son.... Ham. God washed the earth clean of all the gross stuff..... He kept Noah, Noah's three sons, and their four wives safe on a boat he had Noah build. He kept a sample of all the animals He had created up to that point. If He didn't want Ham to be Ham.... who apparently said something to Noah while Noah was naked..... Ham would have missed the boat.

Jesus told Peter.... "Feed my sheep". Jesus didn't give Peter specific instructions on which sheep in what pen marked in a particular way with only wool of a certain quality. Jesus told Peter.... "Feed my sheep".

Jesus was inclusive.... and Peter says the Elders should be leading the church to be like Jesus. Jesus wanted the Christian Church to be an inclusive example of love and hope.

☕