10 things to know about the Trump/post office conspiracy theories

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
No. I just live in a city and work near three such mailboxes. Dying on this hill is one more stupid argument you can’t back up.
There are 60 post offices in the District of Columbia.

Join the 21st century. The standing mailboxes are unnecessary.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
No. I just live in a city and work near three such mailboxes. Dying on this hill is one more stupid argument you can’t back up.
Have any of those mailboxes in your urban area disappeared? What the USPS is doing is removing the boxes that are under utilized and cost more to maintain/check than they're worth. When you're business is hemorrhaging money, you start cutting those things that are less profitable, such as standalone mail boxes that very few people use. I myself use the one in front of the local post office, because our local mail carriers have a less then stellar record on getting the mail into the right box. I'm not going to trust them with my mother's outgoing bill payments. She's in her 80s, so showing her how to pay online is out of the question.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

WHAT ?

I remember in the 70's part of our mail - Oxon Hill Zip Code ... still came addressed ;

Street Address
Oxon Hill, MD 20745
Washington DC SE

a hold over from when Oxon Hill did not have it's own Post Office and all the mail came from DC

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What the USPS is doing is removing the boxes that are under utilized and cost more to maintain/check than they're worth.

You can explain it to him, you cannot understand it for him, he will believe Chuck and Nancy over the truth.*

it is fun smacking him in the face with the Truth or Facts

Clem72

Join the 21st century. The standing mailboxes are unnecessary.

I never understood why they were necessary at all. If you can receive mail at home you can send mail from home. Lift the little flag on your box. Not sure what you do if you have a slot in the door rather than a box, but you could probably just hand it to the carrier.

Tech

Is there any sorting done at the local POs or does it all get shipped out to be sorted then sent out to the appropriate POs? Are the Post Offices there so people can have a box?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Only sorting at a local post office is for mail to that particular zip code. That's why there's a special slot for that inside. Everything else goes up to Capital Heights.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Only sorting at a local post office is for mail to that particular zip code. That's why there's a special slot for that inside. Everything else goes up to Capital Heights.
With a grain of salt.... talked with one of the counter workers a while back. Seems people can't figure out zip codes and continually put the wrong zip in the wrong slot, so they have to manually separate the bins anyway. Same with the zip-specific mailbox outside the PO.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
‘The Postal Service Is Awesome! We Love The Postal Service!’: AOC Makes The Progressive Case For Expanding The USPS

Ocasio-Cortez said the bill is “simple” and expands the United States Postal Services’ current offerings.

“When you go to [the post office] to mail what you need to mail, to buy stamps, to take a photo or file for your passport, that you’re just able to do a few more things, to wire funds if you need to wire funds, to cash a check. ” she explained. “These are very basic things.”

The congresswoman said Americans would have the ability to pull funds from an ATM “without having a bunch of money taken out when you’re just going to take out a couple of dollars.”

In New York City, where Bodegas are popular, people have the option of withdrawing bills in $5 increments, the congresswoman explained. The downside, however, is the enormous fees associated with the withdrawal.

“Imagine you go to an ATM to take out a $5 increment and they charge you a $3 fee,” Ocasio-Cortez said, calling it “unacceptable.”

“It doesn’t have to be. And not only that, but the postal service is awesome!” she said. “We love the postal service! Americans love the postal service. They want to protect the postal service. They want to expand the postal service and this bill does just that, raising over $1 billion in revenue for our postal services so that everyone from our babies to our seniors can continue to enjoy the services they provide.”

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I could make a turd sandwich appealing if I had $1B to throw away. What a ****ing moron.