10 years ago....we felt the Earth shake under our feet...

Hessian

DC and Southern Md got rattled by the northern Virginia quake...5.8 on the richter (?)
I was generally amused by it...but working in a Post WWII building made me ponder concrete & plaster & asbestos.

I know the region spent millions on repairing the Cathedral and the Washington Monument...pretty sure I still can see the crack in the study wall that my government did not offer to repair...humpf.

My classroom got rocked and I assumed that one of the large book carts was overloaded as it rumbled through the upstairs hall.
Any Quake memories out there?

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The vents in the air handler started to rattle, the ceiling mounted TV started to shake, I felt it in my feet and some football players started to cry.

The Administration didn't know what to do even though I'd briefed them on the Emergency Plan a couple weeks earlier. All they had to do was look in the tab labeled "Earthquake" to find out procedure. They also didn't remember to call me, the Emergency Plan guy on the staff.

I guess they can be excused, even though school started at 7:45 they'd just rolled in an hour (so at Noon) before the quake so were still sleep confused.

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
We used to practice emergency evacuation from the building for earthquakes, fire, etc... on a regular schedule. Out the door, grab the roster board, assemble by the flagpole and count heads.

Then the real thing hit and everyone just looked around. Whut's that? I herded everyone out, the roster got left behind, no one assembled at the flagpole..... :doh:

Came home and found the bricks in the front of the garage had gaps.

"I felt the earth... move.... under my feet...
I felt the sky tumblin' down.."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought a truck hit my house. Ran outside and all my neighbors were in their yards, too.

DaSDGuy

Watched the hanging plants in the bay window swaying in time with each other. Realized what it was and went outside to calm the neighbors. I've felt a lot worse on the left coast.

ironintestines

Non-Premo

PeoplesElbow

I remember driving back onto base from lunch and telling my friends "man look how fluffy the clouds are today" an hour or so before the quake. Sitting in an aircraft hangar and started to feel it and my coworker from NY said "they are moving that airplane" and I said "dumbass that's an earthquake."

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We were at 4th grade open house for my now college sophomore and by the time we realized what it was, it was over. His teacher got excited (she's a science fiend) and told us to guess what they were studying during the first couple of weeks of school. My wife was greeting parents in her classroom and there happened to be a former San Diego firefighter there and he got them heading to the exits.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I missed it all. I was driving around going to "Meet Your Teacher" events at the schools. Didn't feel anything. Didn't even know about it until my husband told me about it and feeling it while at work . :ohwell:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I felt the minor vibration out here and had the following thoughts, mine explosion/cave in or an earthquake. Ended up being centered near the wife's Dad who lived in Mineral, VA.

Bare-ya-cuda

I was Still active duty and working in building 2272 on base. What baffled me is the amount of people that went to their cars in the parking garage after we evacuated the building.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I was Still active duty and working in building 2272 on base. What baffled me is the amount of people that went to their cars in the parking garage after we evacuated the building.
What baffled me was all the federal agencies in D.C. sending federal workers home. And all at once.

Every public transit system in D.C. was flooded.