100 Rock and metal songs that defined the 1980s

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The 80s was the decade in which modern metal was born. Sure, the titans of the 70s drew up the rules of engagement, but virtually every scene that exists today can trace its origins back to those 10 seismic years.

The world beyond the gates of the metal scene was convulsing. The Cold War loomed large, pitting east against west and instilling paranoia, fear and delirium in the population until the Berlin Wall fell at the end of the decade.

Yuppies with brick-sized mobile phones gave themselves a licence to print money. Technological leaps shrank vast computers and put them in the homes of people who could afford them. The advent of the CD changed the way we listened to music. Hey, don’t laugh…

Metal reacted by getting bigger, brasher, faster, harder, more colourful or just crazier. New music burned bright, from the broiling thunderhead of NWOBHM and thrash’s amphetamine fury to genre-disrupting mavericks such as Faith No More, Voivod and Nine Inch Nails, and even hair metal’s last-days-of-Rome abandon. Genres were forged in the white heat of the tape-trading underground: black metal, death metal, industrial, grindcore. It felt like anything was possible. And it was.

https://www-loudersound-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.loudersound.com/amp/features/100-rock-and-metal-songs-that-defined-the-1980s

Spitfire

Much to my dismay... Metal is DEAD. Rock has one foot in the grave. Music SUCKS these days!

Greetings:

Metal is not dead. There is plenty of good music still available. Heavy music has waxed and waned between slightly underground and slightly above ground.

Most of the 80s “hair metal” is utterly terrible and forgettable. Poison, Motley Crue, KIX, GNR, and on and on and on, good heavens just utterly terrible.

MiddleGround

Greetings:

Metal is not dead. There is plenty of good music still available. Heavy music has waxed and waned between slightly underground and slightly above ground.

Most of the 80s “hair metal” is utterly terrible and forgettable. Poison, Motley Crue, KIX, GNR, and on and on and on, good heavens just utterly terrible.

Agree to disagree....

What is terrible is the utter garbage that is passed off as "rock music" these days. I'm sorry but Billy Eyelash (yes I know that is not her name) and Shaed are not rock AT ALL!

Spitfire

Agree to disagree....

What is terrible is the utter garbage that is passed off as "rock music" these days. I'm sorry but Billy Eyelash (yes I know that is not her name) and Shaed are not rock AT ALL!

Greetings:

Well you are correct, but neither are those acts passed off as rock or heavy music so I’m not sure what your point is.

These five tracks, all released in 2019, are heavy music. May not be to your particular liking, but trust me, there is PLENTY of good, well-produced (no auto tune) music to be had in 2020. Give ‘em a spin. You might be surprised.

Spitfire

Yeah... By the way... THIS won Best Rock Song AND Best Rock Performance at the Grammys.....

Greetings:

Gary is a very soulful player and that’s a good song, but it ain’t rock. Just like when Jethro Tull won the best metal performance without being metal, I don’t care what the Grammys say, this ain’t a rock song.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Much to my dismay... Metal is DEAD. Rock has one foot in the grave. Music SUCKS these days!

Hard and Heavy classic rock seems close to dead. Was going to take my son to see Ozzy on June 6th but heard it was cancelled again. Week after will go see Megadeath and Priest when they come around. No one is putting out new music with the styling of Sabbath, Dio, Maiden.