20 yr Navy guy (retired)/Family moving to Pax

tlisom

Life is Type 1 & 2 Errors
Hey all. Someone turned me torwards this site to help answer some of my questions, so here we go:

1. Moving from VB to Pax area after retirement. Where are the best schools?
2. Where's the quietest area to live? Nicest also?
3. I'm not finding much in apartments...where can I locate that info?
4. 4 bedroom house, new construction. What cost range can I expect?

and finally...

5. Does the cost of living vary drastically between Virginia Beach and Pax area?

Thanks

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Weekends are quiet on the forums. Come back Monday and bump this thread and you'll get a lot of info.

Charles

elaine said:
Weekends are quiet on the forums. Come back Monday and bump this thread and you'll get a lot of info.
:yeahthat:
In the meantime you could do a search, there is always a lot of discussion on this subject.

C

czygvtwkr

The best schools are considered to be in Calvert county.

As far as neighborhoods go you have many that have $400k houses next to a run down shack or low income neighborhood. You just have to drive around and find what suits you.

A new 4br house will be about $350k and up. You can find an existing 4br for about $300k.

SOMDNW

Calvert county schools are good.

I live in Cheaspeake Ranch Estates. My street is quiet and nice. You have to look around because there are houses in CRE that are not well kept. There could be a $400,000 house next to a house that looks like it is worth $50,000.

This is a good website to find rentals and homes for sale.

$325,000-$400,000

Good Luck! If you have any other questions I would love to help. My husband is retiring in a few years from the Navy.

tlisom

Great info!

Thanks for all the good info. I'm really struggling between moving to West Palm Beach (another career offer) and up to Pax. When weighing both, they have there equal share of good and bad. Is it true that there's not a lot to do in that area unless you like the outdoor life (hunting, fishing) or have a boat?

:coffee:

dn0121

I have been looking for about a month in both St Marys and Calvert. New construction in the $350k-400k range can be found but the yards will be smaller and you will need to get the grass, fence, landscaping in. Houses less then 5 years old can be found in the same price range and most will have the nicer yard size, a fence, and a few other extras. With you retiring though, and if you have a green thumb you may want to do it yourself. I know I wish I had the time too. Also I have found St Mary's to be cheaper then Calvert in my searching.

tlisom

Did I understand correctly. Builders don't lay grass when a house is built?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
tlisom said:
Thanks for all the good info. I'm really struggling between moving to West Palm Beach (another career offer) and up to Pax. When weighing both, they have there equal share of good and bad. Is it true that there's not a lot to do in that area unless you like the outdoor life (hunting, fishing) or have a boat?

:coffee:

There's a lot do do here, it just depends on what you like. There are plenty of little festivals, carnivals, car shows ( I think there's a car show almost every weekend over the summer somewhere within driving distance), golfing, softball (real big around here), wine festivals here and within driving distance, renaissance festivals (one in the spring in Va and one starting in late August that runs for 9 weekends). The area is very historical, and you're very near DC, Baltimore, Annapolis.

I've lived in WPB. There's more to do here.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
tlisom said:
Did I understand correctly. Builders don't lay grass when a house is built?

They will if you want to pay more, but the usual seed. Our lawn is a seeded lawn, and it looks better than most sodded yards.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Let me add...being in the Navy (active and dependent) I've seen the types of people who always say "there's nothing to do". Those are the people who won't get out and explore. The fun will not come to you.

snow_angel2000

tlisom said:
Hey all. Someone turned me torwards this site to help answer some of my questions, so here we go:

and finally...

5. Does the cost of living vary drastically between Virginia Beach and Pax area?

Thanks

As for apartments, here is a link. It might not be 100% up to date, but it will help give you an idea of where to look and what you're looking for. http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/housing/docs/RentalList.pdf Happy hunting!

tlisom

Wow!

elaine said:
There's a lot do do here, it just depends on what you like. There are plenty of little festivals, carnivals, car shows ( I think there's a car show almost every weekend over the summer somewhere within driving distance), golfing, softball (real big around here), wine festivals here and within driving distance, renaissance festivals (one in the spring in Va and one starting in late August that runs for 9 weekends). The area is very historical, and you're very near DC, Baltimore, Annapolis.

I've lived in WPB. There's more to do here.

WOW! You say you've lived in WPB? How does COL differ?

tlisom

IC. Is the traffic truely horrendous when traveling over the bridge to Calvert county? I was told it really backs up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Don't forget to check the classifieds for rentals and homes for sale.

Elaine's right about stuff to do - there's tons of events in our Community Calendar, not to mention just normal fun things you do with your friends.

Eventually, some malcontent will come on and tell you how rude the people here are - this is not true.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
tlisom said:
IC. Is the traffic truely horrendous when traveling over the bridge to Calvert county? I was told it really backs up.

It's only bad during rush hour. That's why a lot of people choose to live on the St. Mary's side.