Killdeer

Angel

~*~*~
How would you go about relocating a nest?

Somebody we know is trying to rent out a place that has a Killdeer nest right smack dab in the middle of the driveway. I was amazed how the birds react if you attempt to go anywhere near the nest, I guess it's the female who covers the nest and calls out for help, and another comes along and pretends it has a broken wing to distract a potential predator! Nature never ceases to amaze me, as it was an awesome display of a Mother protecting her young.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I get them every year in the riding ring...I take cones and block around the nest so I do not run them over ..they hatch in like 21 days...tell them not to move the nest but block it and drive around them..they will be up and running the day they are born ...they are so cute..

Angel

~*~*~
Pasofever said:
I get them every year in the riding ring...I take cones and block around the nest so I do not run them over ..they hatch in like 21 days...tell them not to move the nest but block it and drive around them..they will be up and running the day they are born ...they are so cute..
:yay: The area was blocked off when they were discovered. Guess they will just have to wait for the little ones to hatch. They are very cute birds and I love the way they scamper around! They aren't trying to fly unless they have too! :lmao:

oldman

Lobster Land
Pasofever said:

Yep, just build something around the nest so nobody runs over it. Used to get them nesting in our gravel parking lot. Not necessarily the smartest birds when it comes to where they make a nest but one has to suppose they know what's best for them. The broken wing trick they pull is simply amazing if you've never seen it before.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
oldman said:
Yep, just build something around the nest so nobody runs over it. Used to get them nesting in our gravel parking lot. Not necessarily the smartest birds when it comes to where they make a nest but one has to suppose they know what's best for them. The broken wing trick they pull is simply amazing if you've never seen it before.

Yeah I love it..when I ride the horse around them they are like....over here I have a broken wing over here..not by the nest.. :lmao: