Networking..What does everyone do for a living?

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
I don't know where to start this thread. I was curious what everyone does for work. A living. A career. I decided to start this cause of rumors of DynCorp being bought out. Well No I am not worried about losing my job. But I learned NOTHING is stable from getting laid off my last job.

Anyways...in the mean time that I win the lotto and move to Cancun.
I am an aviation Mechanic. I work on ejection seats and some other systems at the Test Pilot school. I've done this in the Marine corp a bit. Got out. Landed a job with a Company called Martin-Baker. They are a manufacturer of ejection seats...anyways they couldn't keep us busy up in PA. So guess what. Your expendable Jaime.. ;-).

Thereafter I mvoed here to be at my modest 40hr a week job down here.

I figure I'll go back to school...maybe enginnering. Who knows. But I do know. It is always good to have contacts. So heres my lousy attempt at networking.

Jaime

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by sgtsprout
I decided to start this cause of rumors of DynCorp being bought out.

I asked my husband about this and he said, "How? It's an employee-owned company?" He does work for them also.

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
welll

Well tis rumor for one. But employee run company? That just means Employees own stock and have rights to vote on hearings and stuff.

But I don't know alot. Rumor is a company called Serco. The rumors are months old. But someone said they were bought already by Serco. But I don't know. Were waiting on some word about that.

K

Katie

yes programming computers. I work supporting the E-2C Hawkeye/C-2 program office. I also work for Crew System Air 4.6 supporting them.

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
and...

What kind of support do you provide to crew systems. Some program apps for the testing of crew systems? Working on anything new with that?

I am learning whats round on the base. I am curious about anything with crew systems of course. My job is Aviation Life support so... io'd like to keep current. keep myself marketable.

Now are you civil service Katie?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Sgt, who knows?

Hubbie just got an annual report (as a stockholder) from the company yesterday and it makes no mention of it being bought out.

K

Katie

Re: and...

Originally posted by sgtsprout
What kind of support do you provide to crew systems. Some program apps for the testing of crew systems? Working on anything new with that?

I am learning whats round on the base. I am curious about anything with crew systems of course. My job is Aviation Life support so... io'd like to keep current. keep myself marketable.

Now are you civil service Katie?

I work doing the web applications. I am a government contractor. I work at one of the big contractors down here.

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
Ahhhhhh

I got it now. Web developer. ;-)
My best friend is somethign like a computer programming up in Baltimore area..Glen Burnie guy. But all that stuff is OVER my head. lol

K

Katie

my mom doesn't even try to understand what I do. The rest of my family are all retail workers of work, I am the one that uses the muscle between my ears. I could never do retail so all the power to them. I have problems dealing with people yelling at me.

G

giggles04

Me... for now I'm a lovely catch all person in my office on base. Where I work its a military thang... if you're coming in... we know where your stuff is... if you're leaving.... we're the ones that set it up for you to leave. Lovely fun.... just doing this with hopes of a computer programming job dancing in my head!

firefighter6

I had heard the same thing about BAE Systems buying them out. I am a Network administrator/Desktop support/e-mail administrator for a small contractor down here. And when I am not here I am at the Firehouse being a Volunteer Firefighter.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I'm a talent agent. I work with comedians, mostly, but also some theatre acts and bands. I book acts for colleges and corporate groups from all over the country.
This is our slow season.
:D

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
yeah..

That has to be a nice cushiony job BK.

As far as BAE...Yeah I heard that rumor. But I heard that like a month or so ago. And then BAe moves into that old Lowes Building..so I thought maybe they might. But well we'll see.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'm a financial analyst aka NUMBER CRUNCHER. Not very much fun at all. But my boss is awsome and let's me pretty much do whatever I want to:D

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I am an office manager for a "minor" newspaper in DC. A plus of my job is I get to go to lots of boring dinners and eat lots of rubber chicken and smile at lots of semi-famous and famous people. LOL At least I got to met Charleton Heston (such a hunk even at his age today). Basically I yell at people and make sure they are where they are supposed to be, doing what they are supposed to be doing during the day, and at night I schmooze bigwigs LOL And when I am off - I hide from the world and go mudding. LOL As for rumours - DC swirls with them - I never listen - except to the juciest stuff of course. But don't worry Jamie, there are so many jobs in the DC Metro area that you could go to - esp with your past military exp and current contractor status.