Nose bidet/Neti pot

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Has anyone ever used one before? I bought one yesterday (after seeing it on Oprah). Dr. Oz raved about it, as did a few other people. Anyhow, I tried it, but the fluid kept running down my throat. Perhaps I didn't hold the pot at the right angle, who knows.

Does anyone use this regularly and if so, have you seen an improvement in your breathing? I was hoping this would be easy to use and would help with allergies.

I heard about this, but I never have used it myself. I don't even know anyone that has used it. I'd be interested in hearing from people that have used it too.

:snacks:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
After my sinus sugery my ENT gave me the "recipe" for a nose/sinus wash and I have used it since then but just with a bowl of water and a syringe (without the needle of course). Works like a charm. This past winter I discovered the Ayr "rinse bottle" with the packets of rinse already mixed up. It works great.

For anyone that has had sinus problems, you cannot imagine the relief you get.

You do have to learn how to hold your head so that the fluid doesn't drain into your throat and you also have to be careful when you blow your nose that you don't close off one side or you will back up the fluid into your ear tubes.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
cattitude said:
You do have to learn how to hold your head so that the fluid doesn't drain into your throat
That's the problem I have. I tried several times yesterday with no luck. I tried the Ayr stuff after someone suggested it and I didn't like it. I just need some relief - I'm sick ALL the time with allergies and it drives me crazy. I can't sleep at night and I'm always sluggish. This time of year is always bad. :bawl:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Chasey_Lane said:
That's the problem I have. I tried several times yesterday with no luck. I tried the Ayr stuff after someone suggested it and I didn't like it. I just need some relief - I'm sick ALL the time with allergies and it drives me crazy. I can't sleep at night and I'm always sluggish. This time of year is always bad. :bawl:

Hold you head down..bend over and let it drain. I know..this all sounds gross.

Was it the Ayr with the litle packets that you mix with warm water and squirt into your nose? The mix I used prior to the that was salt and baking soda.

Chasey_Lane said:
When my husband go to the point you are at now, I convinced him to begin allergy shots. It made all the difference for him and changed his life for the better.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
When my husband go to the point you are at now, I convinced him to begin allergy shots. It made all the difference for him and changed his life for the better.
I don't have the time for all that. Nor do I want to be bothered with it. Day keeps trying to get me to go, but I refuse. :ohwell:

Chasey_Lane said:
I don't have the time for all that. Nor do I want to be bothered with it. Day keeps trying to get me to go, but I refuse. :ohwell:
Your choice, but the shots help your body build a natural defense which is something your body can't do on it's own. It's just going to keep getting worse. He had a much busier schedule and longer day than you and managed to make time for it and as a result it changed his quality of life for the better tri-fold.

Pete

Repete
Chasey_Lane said:
Chasey's skeert of a needle! :dance: Chasey's skeert of a needle! :dance: Chasey's skeert of a needle! :dance: Chasey's skeert of a needle! :dance:

ohstate

I use the AYR sinus saline rinse kit that comes w/ a bottle and saline packets. It is easier than the netti pot for me. I warm up the distilled water for about 25-30 sec in the microwave, then add the saline packet. You need to tilt your head forward (chin towards your chest) a bit and to the opposite side of the nostril your irrigating a bit in order to get in to drain out.

My ENT had me do it after I had sinus surgery (before that my sinuses were too congested/swollen for the rinse to work). It works wonders. I try to do it twice a day. She had me add a capful or two of Alkalol to the saline solution. It has mucus loosening ingredient (I know, gross).

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Pete said:
Chasey's skeert of a needle! :dance: Chasey's skeert of a needle! :dance: Chasey's skeert of a needle! :dance: Chasey's skeert of a needle! :dance:
I have no problems with needles...none. I just don't want the hassle of getting weekly shots. :ohwell:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Chasey_Lane said:
I have no problems with needles...none. I just don't want the hassle of getting weekly shots. :ohwell:

Not sure what you are allergic to, but shots aren't always the way to go. Have you been tested?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
cattitude said:
Not sure what you are allergic to, but shots aren't always the way to go. Have you been tested?
Nope, never been tested. However, I know for certain that I am allergic to both cats and dogs, I get irritated by pollen & dust and now smoke will even make me congested and sneezy.

Chasey_Lane said:
Nope, never been tested. However, I know for certain that I am allergic to both cats and dogs, I get irritated by pollen & dust and now smoke will even make me congested and sneezy.
Yep. Hubby had all those on the list and then some too. That's why meds and treatments were no longer working for him. He was constantly being triggered by things he could not avoid. The shots allowed his body to build up an immunity against these triggers. He did it for a few years and now he no longer does the shots and can treat allergy flair up with a normal OTC antihistimine. When he was doing the shots he didn't even need the OTC stuff at all once his own immunity functions kicked in.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Chasey_Lane said:

Nothing you can do about the smoke except stay away from it. Smoke isn't an allergen, it's a chemical irritant.

Dogs and cats is a problem for you. :lol:

jenbengen

Watch it
cattitude said:
After my sinus sugery my ENT gave me the "recipe" for a nose/sinus wash and I have used it since then but just with a bowl of water and a syringe (without the needle of course). Works like a charm. This past winter I discovered the Ayr "rinse bottle" with the packets of rinse already mixed up. It works great.

For anyone that has had sinus problems, you cannot imagine the relief you get.

You do have to learn how to hold your head so that the fluid doesn't drain into your throat and you also have to be careful when you blow your nose that you don't close off one side or you will back up the fluid into your ear tubes.

This is the second conversation about this product I have had today. :lmao: I am going to buy one for my husband. He suffers tremendously from nasal problems. What can it hurt, right? Well, other than his pride while he hangs over the sink with water running out of his nose.

ShyGirl

I have severe allergies year round. I get allergy shots, which have helped. I take Allegra-D and Flonase, which have helped. I go to acupuncture, which helps drain the congestion, a lot, but is a temporary measure. I also rinse with a saline solution two to three days a week.

I use a kosher salt (one-third teaspoon), baking soda (just a pinch) mixture in an 8 ounce cup, with warm water, and apply the rinse into my nose with an ear syringe.

The first time I did it, I filled the syringe, held it just inside my nose and squeezed. Water shot out of the syringe, hit my tonsil, the back of my throat and some of it ended up in my lungs. I had to get a prescription to clear it up.

I apply the rinse while I'm in the shower. I hold my head up, tilted a little bit back and tilted toward the side that I want the water to flow. Then I pour in some of the solution and gently blow my nose. It takes a couple of applications on each side for the stuff to loosen up and come out, but it burbles right out.

A few times, the water has gotten trapped in my sinus cavity. So I also bend over at the waist and angle my head up a bit, turning it from side to side to see if it will come out.

It's a temporary measure. I did it this morning and am starting to feel stuffy again, but it does provide a lot of relief!

Keep with it! Good Luck! :huggy:

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady

I got tested for allergies about a month ago because I've been sick all summer with ear pressure and a sore throat. Before this year, I never had reactions to allergens that were this difficult to deal with. Like you, it got to the point that I would get horrible ear infections and the OTC meds stopped working.
I've been taking Nasoqort (sp?) and allegra once a day, along with Pseudofed. I hope after a few weeks of the shots, I can wean off some of the meds.

I was originally bitter because my ENT is in Prince Frederick (I live in SMC), and I dreaded driving up to PF once a week for a 5 sec shot. However, the nurse told me that if I wanted, I could give myself the shots and avoid driving up the road. It is much better than driving 90 min a day to and from PF for a shot. I have to go back for an appt in about 2 months for a check-up and serum refill. After that, its once a year :yay:

If you wouldn't mind giving it to yourself, you'll save a bunch of time!

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
I recently decided to give a neti pot a try and I'm so happy that I did. I was 100% hesitant to pour water into my nose, but I had a HORRIBLE sinus headache. Within 5 minutes of rinsing my sinuses, the pressure disappeared and I felt so much better.

CVS is selling a plastic version of Neti pots. I think that it's called Sinucleanse. Thats the model that I ended up getting. It's $14.99 and comes with 20 packages of a sodium mixture. The sodium mixture is TOO strong for me and it burns, so I've been using 1/4 tsp of sea salt with 1 cup of room temp water.

It's a little awkward at first, but it really moves all of the snot and stuff out of there. You have to hold your head at the right position so that the fluid doesn't go down into your throat. A few tries and you'll know when you're in the right position!

I'd recommend a neti pot to anyone with sinus issues!!!