Favorite Campground

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Used to be Granite Hills outside of Gettysburg, PA. I guess it's my favorite because my folks and I would go twice a year for their Bluegrass Festival (and then some) and although I didn't appreciate the music so much, there was always a lot to do. At the time, there was a big Red Barn with pin ball machines and pool tables and a snack bar, a Country Store, a Hall where they held Bingo and dances and movies; a pool/water slide, shuffle board and such. Near the campground was a miniature pony farm and also some stables where you could go horseback riding. In town, there were outlets and restaurants.

My folks usually had one of the grandkids with us and I would bring a friend and maybe other family members would come too and stay or pitch tents. The whole place would fill up for the Bluegrass weekends and crafters would set up benches too. Pretty cool stuff.

And, if you got hot, you could be sure that VV's momma would have the A/C blaring in the 38' trailer and the tv going - perfect for napping!

But, it could've closed or gone to pot - but that's my favorite, how I remember it and why.

Elle

Happy Camper!
CableChick said:
CMC just LOVES Bethpage in Urbanna, VA.

So I've heard :lol:

We haven't been to many but I love camping at the annex on Solomon's whenever I can get someone to book us a site. It's nice, clean, lots of activities, and very close to home.

We've also been to the Hagerstown Yogi 4 or 5 times. I love it there but am ready to try new places. This summer we are going to do a bunch of state parks ~ Westmoreland & First Landing in VA and then Watkins Glen & Four Mile Creek (if hubby can change his leave request maybe even Letchworth) in NY.

mingiz

Horse Poor
The KOA in fredericksburg isn't bad for a quick get away. Quiet, clean, pool, game room, laundry, pond for fishing. Plus your not to far from Old town Fredericksburg. New shopping center just opened or part may still be in construction about 2 miles from campground on south 1. Lake Anna isn't far from there. Most directions to the campground take you either 95 or 301 to 205 I believe, But it's alot easier to take 301 to 17n then south1 to campground. It keeps you out of the heavier traffic. :howdy:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Elle said:
This summer we are going to do a bunch of state parks ~ Westmoreland in VA.
Was there last year and have a cabin reserved for the end of July. Boy had a good time.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
The KOA in Staunton (sp) in Virginia rocks. It has a stream that you can tube along and waterfalls at one end. Very cool place.

Harper's Ferry is pretty cool too and plenty of things to do.

We have now gotten addicted to Christopher Run Campground in Lake Anna. Very close to home and plenty of stuff to do if you like the water LOL.

BS Gal said:
Big Bend, West Va.
:lmao: Name one other you have been to.

Big Bend is great though. Decent fishing, nice pools along the river for swimming. Tubing is very easy and you can do a short walk that lets you tube about 1 mile stretch. Canoable and nice hiking and some good trails for 4X4s and bikes. Fairly primitive, no showers and the drinking water is hand pumped at a site away from the camp ground.

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
desertrat said:
:
lmao: Name one other you have been to.
Big Bend is great though. Decent fishing, nice pools along the river for swimming. Tubing is very easy and you can do a short walk that lets you tube about 1 mile stretch. Canoable and nice hiking and some good trails for 4X4s and bikes. Fairly primitive, no showers and the drinking water is hand pumped at a site away from the camp ground.

Kings Canyon National Park, but that was 35 years ago......

My new favorite campground is pretty much any Holiday Inn/Comfort Suites/Hilton. You all get the drift.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
virgovictoria said:
Used to be Granite Hills outside of Gettysburg, PA. I guess it's my favorite because my folks and I would go twice a year for their Bluegrass Festival (and then some) and although I didn't appreciate the music so much, there was always a lot to do. At the time, there was a big Red Barn with pin ball machines and pool tables and a snack bar, a Country Store, a Hall where they held Bingo and dances and movies; a pool/water slide, shuffle board and such. Near the campground was a miniature pony farm and also some stables where you could go horseback riding. In town, there were outlets and restaurants.

My folks usually had one of the grandkids with us and I would bring a friend and maybe other family members would come too and stay or pitch tents. The whole place would fill up for the Bluegrass weekends and crafters would set up benches too. Pretty cool stuff.

And, if you got hot, you could be sure that VV's momma would have the A/C blaring in the 38' trailer and the tv going - perfect for napping!

But, it could've closed or gone to pot - but that's my favorite, how I remember it and why.

and they had cats! White ones! Did you ever go to Circle M?

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
BS Gal said:
My new favorite campground is pretty much any Holiday Inn/Comfort Suites/Hilton. You all get the drift.

That's what I'm talking about! :lol:

I do have a lot of friends who have, in the past year or so, purchased motor homes. Then I see them when I go to the track. I'm starting to want one. Maybe when the chillins get out of college. :nomoney:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
nachomama said:
I do have a lot of friends who have, in the past year or so, purchased motor homes. Then I see them when I go to the track. I'm starting to want one. Maybe when the chillins get out of college. :nomoney:
My sister has one, they spend about 10 months out of the year on the road. Thing cost over $100k :yikes: You can stay in a lot of hotels and eat in a lot of resturants for that.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
aps45819 said:
My sister has one, they spend about 10 months out of the year on the road. Thing cost over $100k :yikes: You can stay in a lot of hotels and eat in a lot of resturants for that.

$100K ain't nothing.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
cattitude said:
$100K ain't nothing.

For real. Some of the motorhomes that roll up to the NASCAR races cost at least twice that. :faint: And no, they belong to the fans, not the drivers.