bethany beach

Goofy

going on vacation to bethany in late august. married with two kids (pre-teen). going with another couple and their kid. any suggestions on activities, good local restaurants.

thanks.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Goofy said:
going on vacation to bethany in late august. married with two kids (pre-teen). going with another couple and their kid. any suggestions on activities, good local restaurants.

thanks.

Any suggestions? Leave the kids home!

Nanny Pam

Goofy said:

thanks.
JMHO but Bethany doesn't have too much to offer for the teenagers. It's great for the adults, as it is "the quite resort."
The boardwalk is only so-so and the beach is quite narrow. (beach erosion)

The kids will probably have more fun in Rehoboth Beach or Ocean City, MD.

You might enjoy "The Cottage Cafe" (HWY 1) in Bethany or "Bethany Blues" (2nd ocean block). Then after dinner, a nice stroll to the shops and boardwalk.
Up toward Rehoboth Beach there is a kick-ass restaurant called "Big Fish" that has awesome seafood.
Ocean City also offers several good restaurants right on HWY 1 as well as the side streets just off the boardwalk.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Nanny Pam said:
JMHO but Bethany doesn't have too much to offer for the teenagers. It's great for the adults, as it is "the quite resort."
The boardwalk is only so-so and the beach is quite narrow. (beach erosion)

The kids will probably have more fun in Rehoboth Beach or Ocean City, MD.

You might enjoy "The Cottage Cafe" (HWY 1) in Bethany or "Bethany Blues" (2nd ocean block). Then after dinner, a nice stroll to the shops and boardwalk.
Up toward Rehoboth Beach there is a kick-ass restaurant called "Big Fish" that has awesome seafood.
Ocean City also offers several good restaurants right on HWY 1 as well as the side streets just off the boardwalk.

I was thinking the same thing. When I was a kid, I had a friend whose parents owned a condo at Sea Colony. It was a nice resort, but when we wanted something to do, we always went to OC or Rehoboth.

Goofy

thanks for the info. I just can't do OC. Worked there for several summers and I find it hard to take my kids back there to this day :blushing:

Our boys are 9 and 10 and their girl is 5 so I'm hoping that we can hit a put put, go-carts and find some beach to play on and I can sit and relax. Still, if my wife and her friend have to take the kids to Rehobeth to play, I can stay and hold our spot on the beach
:-D

Cabbage

Cottage Cafe or Mickey's CrabHouse

We love Mickey's Family Crabhouse. It's the real deal, not something glamorized. It's old timey and the seafood and sides rock.

Cottage Cafe is great too. Sometimes they have dinner specials for early birds that are very reasonable too!

If the kids want to walk the boardwalk and check out rides, and arcades, I would suggest catching the bus at the maryland state line and parking if you are going in the evening.

Years ago Fenwick Island had some GREAT activities for the ages of your kids, but I'm thinking there are some better. ALSO, around 85th ST??.. there is one helluva putt putt golf place, great for the entire family. There is usually a line down the street at night to play.

Goofy said:

thanks.

Last edited:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I spent many happy summers in BB in my youth and we're headed there next week. It has changed a lot -- no free parking unless you're a resident, but there are more shops now and it does get quite crowded in the summer.

We always eat at Grotto's pizza. It's not the best pizza but we love it because we've been eating it for 30 years! Bethany Blues is owned by a friend of ours (also owns Mango's on the boardwalk). There are some good restaurants there but if you're looking for fun, I suggest the Rehoboth boardwalk. Or, head towards Rehoboth and continue north on Rte. 1 -- there are water parks, go-kart tracks, putt-putt, etc. Have fun!

Last edited:

ymn

We usually drive to Fenwick for mini golf and go carts. It's a short drive from Bethany Beach. Also, Jimmy's Kitchen in Fenwick is great for breakfast and lunch. They aren't open for dinner. They are on the left side of rt. 1 heading south.