Seen a Ghost?

DarbyOhara

Musician
I am kinda curious... after touring the small, cheap, but awesomely interesting museum in point lookout area, I am wondering about the tales I have heard.  Around halloween (I believe), they claim to have a group walk (close to that old prison) and claims of seeing ghosts wondering.  So, my question or discussion is.... anyone actually seen ghosts down there?  Believe in ghosts?  I am from central PA and we had this one cemetary, which they quarintined from the public (not sure if it was for this reason), which claimed to have angry spirits.. we would secretly sneak in and look for them... never seen a one!  :twitch:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
As you know, Pt. Lookout used to be a cival war prison camp where many died in bad conditions.  I have been there and never experienced anything myself, but am not saying its not true.

Try attending the Ghost Walk on the last weekend in October.  Also, the lighthouse is open the first Saturday in November.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
St. Mary's is filled with all kinds of these stories.  I do have one friend who says he saw a ghost there one year when he was working as a civil war reenactor.  There are also several "cry-baby" bridges, I guess where babies supposedly died and you can hear them crying if you go at the right time or whatever.  I've even heard of one goat-man story supposedly living in the Chaptico/Mechanicsville area.  There's also the witch of Moll Dyer, who I think you're supposed to be able to hear cry or see or something like that.  Unfortunately, I have tried looking for some of these, but have no truth to any yet.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
That is so funny tipsy!  I have heard the same Goat Man story only he lived on St. George's Island!
As for ghosts though - I have never seen one myself - can't say I really looked though!  Have heard tapes though of others who have toured the lighthouse at night and run tapeplayers.  Supposedly they heard nothing while there - but when they got home and played the tapes they heard voices and doors slamming.  Hard to say - I wasn't there - so I don't know if they were legit or not!

Norm

The following link provides information on Maryland hauntings, including Southern Maryland.

http://www.marylandghosts.com/maryland.shtml

(Edited by Norm at 7:10 pm on April 4, 2002)

(Edited by Norm at 7:11 pm on April 4, 2002)

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Around Halloween each year, the campus newspaper at St. Mary's College usually publishes an edition that outlines all of the supposed hauntings on campus. Among them:

The Calvert Hall Dorm used to be a convent, which burned down when the school was still a women's seminary (I believe this part is actual fact). Supposedly, the last person to leave the dorm at the end of each semester (usually the residence hall coordinator) sees nun ghosts. I know of one person who said he saw them.

Church Point (near Trinity Church) is supposedly haunted by the spirit of a girl who drowned while sailing nearby.

There is a light in the attic of Queen Anne's Hall (the all-female dorm) that goes on and off by itself, and sometimes the silhouette of a moving rocking chair can be seen (once again, I only know a few people who claim to have seen this).

My boyfriend also swears up and down that he saw a body hanging from a tree in the Trinity Church cemetary during a thunderstorm - but only saw the body when the lightning flashed. He's not overly superstitious, nor is he into any psychedelic drugs, so I believe that HE believes he saw it. Can't say one way or the other that I believe it was actually there.

DarbyOhara

Musician
geekboy on 6:46 pm on April 5, 2002[br]I saw a UFO and was almost abducted by aliens.  

hmmm... I see your name fits the reply.. or is it.. your reply fits the name.. shew! ::slappin cheeks::

mgorfain

Barbra..

LOL ... those banshees (screaming mommies)...I guess we may not have ghosts, but have the "wicked witch of the west" well covered

mrs potts

Two years ago when my husband and I were visiting Gettysburg, he swears that he saw a light in the woods, near the school district.  If you have ever been to Gettysburg, in the middle of the town is a school complex.  It is also near the bridge where the streams overflowed from the rainstorm on the 4th of July after the battle and soldiers who were in the stream ~ drowned.  It is rumored that when people walk over that 'bridge' they usually trip and it is attributed to the spirits of the soldiers who were reaching out of the stream as they were drowning, trying to claw their way out of the stream.....and it is also said that the B&B called "The Farnsworth House" has a ghost who sits on your bed....yikes!  

Closer to home, it is rumored that a confederate soldier stands at the bottom of the stairs in one of the Bryantown taverns....this is where John Wilkes Booth was said to have conspired to kidnapp Lincoln...

Who knows who may be walking among us!! :eek:

BuddyLee

Football addict
DarbyOhara said:
I am kinda curious... after touring the small, cheap, but awesomely interesting museum in point lookout area, I am wondering about the tales I have heard. Around halloween (I believe), they claim to have a group walk (close to that old prison) and claims of seeing ghosts wondering. So, my question or discussion is.... anyone actually seen ghosts down there? Believe in ghosts? I am from central PA and we had this one cemetary, which they quarintined from the public (not sure if it was for this reason), which claimed to have angry spirits.. we would secretly sneak in and look for them... never seen a one! :twitch:
I've been investigating down at PLO for about three years now. I've taken pictures, tried to capture EVP, walked around countless times all to have a few experiences. Everything that I and others have captured and kept on record have been mysterious indeed. I've seen a bit down at PLO but not to the extent to which I've seen in my own home. I've heard more in my own home, I have also heard various things at PLO in person and on the various recorders used. However, I have never been physically touched in my own home by a 'spirit', I have been touched once at PLO's Fort Lincoln. Point in case, if you spend enough time hunting anything you are bound to 'catch' some evidence of the prey. If I lived at PLO I bet I would see more but if I merely visited the site once or twice and saw nothing I could certainly not debunk whether or not something actually existed or not. IMO with the experiences I've had thus far down at PLO I have to agree with what I've not only read but have witnessed myself, there is paranormal activity at PLO.

Ponytail

I have a set of female twins roaming my house at night. Yes, Pete, they're ghosts. The g/f was talking to them the other night. :lmao: :shocking:

rack'm

Jaded
Ponytail said:
I have a set of female twins roaming my house at night. Yes, Pete, they're ghosts. The g/f was talking to them the other night. :lmao: :shocking:

Telling her Daisey stories no doubt. :lol:

Ponytail

rack'm said:
Telling her Daisey stories no doubt. :lol:

No idea. At least I have other suspects. Next time Daisy does something simply otherwise without explaination, the ghosts are getting the blame if for no other reason that for letting it happen. :lol:

rack'm

Jaded
Ponytail said:
No idea. At least I have other suspects. Next time Daisy does something simply otherwise without explaination, the ghosts are getting the blame if for no other reason that for letting it happen. :lol:

Tell them to help you out or you're going to excercise them. :lmao:

D

Dixie

My sister-in-law actually lived in the lighthouse at Point Lookout back when it was owned by the park and not the Navy. At one point while living there she was asked by one of the rangers if she could vacate the place for a bit because a well-known ghost hunter wanted to investigate the place for an upcoming special. They left tape recorders, camera equipment, etc. Anna said when she returned there was a burning smell on her staircase. She later got a phone call from one of the rangers who told her they had picked up voices on the tape saying quick put the fire out. Her mother stayed overnight there and claimed to see a figure of a woman in white and her dog was always growling/raising it's hackles at something she couldn't see.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Dixie said:
My sister-in-law actually lived in the lighthouse at Point Lookout back when it was owned by the park and not the Navy. At one point while living there she was asked by one of the rangers if she could vacate the place for a bit because a well-known ghost hunter wanted to investigate the place for an upcoming special. They left tape recorders, camera equipment, etc. Anna said when she returned there was a burning smell on her staircase. She later got a phone call from one of the rangers who told her they had picked up voices on the tape saying quick put the fire out. Her mother stayed overnight there and claimed to see a figure of a woman in white and her dog was always growling/raising it's hackles at something she couldn't see.
Her name wasn't Laura Berg was it?

D

Dixie

BuddyLee said:
Her name wasn't Laura Berg was it?

No, Anna Carpenter. Donnie something or other was the ranger. Anna had lived in the beach cottages that used to be there, then moved over to the lighthouse. She used to lifeguard there in the summer, many moons ago. She said she never saw anything but had times when she was pretty creeped out.