Paso, need dog vaccine advice

M

Mousebaby

I am looking to buy the distemper vaccine for my dogs. Thing is I'm not real sure what I need to buy. What I am looking at is at Dr.s Foster and Smith, its called "Prevent/Vac Canine Coronavirus KV" is this what I need to buy? Or do you have another suggestion? :popcorn:

Cowgirl

Mousebaby said:
I am looking to buy the distemper vaccine for my dogs. Thing is I'm not real sure what I need to buy. What I am looking at is at Dr.s Foster and Smith, its called "Prevent/Vac Canine Coronavirus KV" is this what I need to buy? Or do you have another suggestion? :popcorn:

I'm not Paso, but I'd go to southern states and just buy what you need there. That way you don't have to pay for shipping and wait for it. They usually offer the Solo-jec 7.

M

Mousebaby

I am already ordering stuff from there tonight, thats why I was asking. I don't live anywhere near southern states. I also don't have a clue what I need so I would be just as lost there. I appreciate the help though! :huggy:

Cowgirl

Mousebaby said:
I am already ordering stuff from there tonight, thats why I was asking. I don't live anywhere near southern states. I also don't have a clue what I need so I would be just as lost there. I appreciate the help though! :huggy:

Gotcha. Drs. Foster and Smith also have the Solo-Jec 7...it's just the basic vaccines, and they also have it with the coronavirus vaccine added. Must be their lucky day...I just spent about $75 there for 2 lazy cats. :jameo:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
If you are just buying a couple I would go to either Southern States in Mechanicsville or Stauffers Feedmill in Loveville..They can also help you with what to get..

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Wow I hit reply when only one post was here..then the phone rang and I finished and all these posts I did not see until I hit submit..Yeah I have used the Soloject 7 but I get it locally so I dont have to pay overnight fee..

M

Mousebaby

Cowgirl said:
Gotcha. Drs. Foster and Smith also have the Solo-Jec 7...it's just the basic vaccines, and they also have it with the coronavirus vaccine added. Must be their lucky day...I just spent about $75 there for 2 lazy cats. :jameo:

HA!

Well they didn't get my order for vaccines after all! They wanted 30.00 to ship them airmail because they had to be kept cold! :faint: I think I will make that trip to Southern States after all! :lmao:

Cowgirl

Mousebaby said:
HA!

Well they didn't get my order for vaccines after all! They wanted 30.00 to ship them airmail because they had to be kept cold! :faint: I think I will make that trip to Southern States after all! :lmao:

Where are you located? The Greenery might have them...it's been a few year since I've lived in the county...so I'm not positive.

M

Mousebaby

Cowgirl said:
Where are you located? The Greenery might have them...it's been a few year since I've lived in the county...so I'm not positive.

I am in Lexington Park, I thought about calling them to see if they carry them. So I will check with them tomorrow! Thanks for the help! :huggy:

Cowgirl

cattitude said:
Dogs do not need vaccines every year. In fact, it's really not good for them.

I don't know how old her dogs are, but for the first five-ish years of life I'd get them every year. (unless she wants to pay to get the titers done)

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Cowgirl said:
I don't know how old her dogs are, but for the first five-ish years of life I'd get them every year. (unless she wants to pay to get the titers done)

Puppy/kitten shots and first year boosters...titers after that. But many people who give their own shots don't go to a vet regularly. Pets really should be seen yearly by their vet...that's somewhat the idea that drives the yearly vaccinations. It's helpful to have a vet that will work with you in the treatment of your pets... I'm lucky that mine does.

There's a great deal of information "out there" regarding vaccine protocol and the dangers of certain vaccines.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

cattitude said:
Puppy/kitten shots and first year boosters...titers after that. But many people who give their own shots don't go to a vet regularly. Pets really should be seen yearly by their vet...that's somewhat the idea that drives the yearly vaccinations. It's helpful to have a vet that will work with you in the treatment of your pets... I'm lucky that mine does.

There's a great deal of information "out there" regarding vaccine protocol and the dangers of certain vaccines.

I agree that every dog doesn't need yearly shots. I do some of my own vaccines, but my dog regularly sees the vet. He just had a senior panel done, and he's getting ready to get his teeth cleaned.

:biggrin: <----he will soon have perfectly pearly whites. :lol:

Labs4Me

cattitude said:

:yeahthat: Catt- you know I'm right with you on the vaccine issue!!! Like you said there is a ton of info out there about the dangers of overvaccinating your pets. Here's just a sampling of some of those articles- there are plenty more where these came from though!!

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/vDrDodds.html

This is from the AAHA. It's the updated 2006 Canine Vaccine Guidelines. Note for example that they recommend for parvo that the dog be vaccinated every 3 years OR LONGER and that studies have shown protection to last up to 7 years. I'd strongly advice Mousebaby (or anyone that administers their own vaccines or is interested in doing so) to look over these guidelines and really be aware of some of the potential risks.
http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/VaccineGuidelines06Revised.pdf

A few lines from a UCDavis Veterinary Medical Journal article about vaccination protocol:
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ccah/update11-2/upd11-2_vaccination.html
In recognition that many vaccines produce a minimum of three, four or five years of immunity, and that to give them annually to pets at low risk of exposure to infectious diseases is really overvaccinating, there is a shift among veterinary practices toward a three-year protocol for those vaccines. Some veterinarians are concerned that if they reduce annual vaccinations to once every three years, and without an incentive to bring pets to the veterinarian for annual examination, pets won't get optimal health care.

cattitude said:

Cat, what vet do you go to?

Does anyone know if Three Notch works well w/ people who don't want to vaccinate their pet to death?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
CableChick said:
Cat, what vet do you go to?

Does anyone know if Three Notch works well w/ people who don't want to vaccinate their pet to death?

I use Prince Frederick. I love Dr. Darnell and Dr. Giles. I also like Dr. Ramsey....all women and all awesome, caring people.

luvscats

dog vaccine

the links you provided for dogs are wonderful. got any links re vaccines for cats. Am interested in doing vaccinations at home. My cats do go to vet for teeth cleanings and exams but I could save a bundle on vaccinations. Thanks :confused: