11 sailors injured as crews battle fire on Navy ship

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Still enough manpower for a fire party. The duty section is on board or on the floating berthing tied up next to the ship. I spent a few months in the yards. I never imagined how many ways the Navy has to create busywork to justify a sailor's paycheck.

The after-reports should be interesting. That fire got huge and got away from them very quickly.....so "how and why" will be very important to figure out. Since they are still fighting it....

One of the vessels I helped to design and build for the Norwegian Navy burnt completely out and was abandoned at sea. The hulk did remain afloat and was eventually towed to a port for investigations. The post mortem listed quite a number of mistakes made in fighting the fire, in addition to ascertaining the root cause of it. Took almost two years before the report was issued.

Fires on board a vessel can be very nasty events.

One of the vessels that responded to the fire emergency to help evacuate the crew was a 350-passenger high speed ferry that I'd helped to commission only a few years earlier.

Last edited:

Tech

Read on the internet.
  1. The city fire department has been released, currently being handled by the base fire department and sailors from other ships.
  2. The fire suppression systems were down. Don't know the type nor the locations of such. Maybe somebody here knows.

Read that it was in port for maintenance. Don't know the level of such but I had the opportunity to go aboard the Kitty Hawk during its SLEP, don't want to go anywhere near that to fight a fire.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Serious damage, I hope her magazines are empty! Godspeed Bonney Dick!
My guess is they were, or they would have pushed it off the dock.. also assume some kind of pierside maintenance was being done and suppression systems were offline..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
No..he meant that there are a bunch of lithium batteries scattered amongst the USMC equipment that those expeditionary vessels carry. The fire took on it's own life after it started.
Another assumption.. the boat was emptied for maintenance. How empty would be the question.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yeah, I'd suggested this morning they'd probably have to tow it out and scuttle it and a friend, who still lives in San Diego said the superstructure was collapsing.
Imagine what the environmentalists will require them to do before they can..

Reactions: BOP