11 sailors injured as crews battle fire on Navy ship

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
SAN DIEGO – Eleven sailors were hospitalized with minor injuries Sunday in a fire burning on the USS Bonhomme Richard at Naval Base San Diego.

The San Diego Fire-Rescue Dept. said multiple agencies had responded to the fire. It was reported just before 9 a.m. at 3455 Senn St. Units arrived on the scene at approximately 10:10 a.m., the department said. Nearly 180 fire personnel were assigned to the scene.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When sailors spend less time in shipboard training and more time in gender identity compassion training, you can expect more of these shipboard accidents.

BOP

I'm hoping for a new pope. 🤞

White smoke most likely is steam from the water placed on the fire or hot area.
Fuel being a hydrocarbon will give off heavy black smoke.
:lmao:

I'm laughing because I had the exact same thought, except I couldn't remember if it was white or black smoke. Wait, is that racist?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good buddy of mine, a Marine, deployed on her for 6 months back during the Iraq war and, based on the reports of where the fire started, his money is on lithium batteries as the cause of the fire.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Good buddy of mine, a Marine, deployed on her for 6 months back during the Iraq war and, based on the reports of where the fire started, his money is on lithium batteries as the cause of the fire.
If that's lithium burning, going to be some extensive metal damage too. Also explains why it's still burning.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If that's lithium burning, going to be some extensive metal damage too. Also explains why it's still burning.
No..he meant that there are a bunch of lithium batteries scattered amongst the USMC equipment that those expeditionary vessels carry. The fire took on it's own life after it started.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
No..he meant that there are a bunch of lithium batteries scattered amongst the USMC equipment that those expeditionary vessels carry. The fire took on it's own life after it started.
Oh, ok. You mean small Li batteries for equipment. I was thinking large storage batteries for ship ops.

Hijinx

Firefighting in a ship is hard work. No way to vent the heat and metal that gets really hot.
Plus it's a strange environment for land based Fire Departments.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Skeleton crew only..she's in an availability.
Still enough manpower for a fire party. The duty section is on board or on the floating berthing tied up next to the ship. I spent a few months in the yards. I never imagined how many ways the Navy has to create busywork to justify a sailor's paycheck.

WingsOfGold

Still enough manpower for a fire party. The duty section is on board or on the floating berthing tied up next to the ship. I spent a few months in the yards. I never imagined how many ways the Navy has to create busywork to justify a sailor's paycheck.
Sounds like they blew it, nobody competent in charge. Asses are going to hang from the old man down to 1st class in charge of the duty section/fire party.