11 yr old hurt boarding school bus : Bus driver just drove off

M

Mousebaby

Oh give me a break! So it's the mothers fault for not getting her a better way to school because her leg was hurt. I have seen kids on crutches getting off buses. Just because a kid is hurt doesn't mean you have to find alternative transportation for them. They are just trying to put the blame on somebody other then themselves. That makes me mad!! :wench:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Wow that sucks, however if the child has a disability, where was the parent or why did she not request special school transportation for her child. The bus driver may have used bad judgement, but the parents must share some of the blame... :coffee:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Couldn't the mother have gone out to the bus stop, with her daughter, and made sure she got on the bus without any problems?

Heck, she had to have known her daughter had an ailment.

Sadysue

Penn said:
Couldn't the mother have gone out to the bus stop, with her daughter, and made sure she got on the bus without any problems?

Heck, she had to have known her daughter had an ailment.

I disagree, if the girl got hurt playing or something the day before, it's possible her mother did not know. I used to keep stuff like that from my parents all the time for fear I would get in trouble or have to go to the doctor. That bus driver was wrong to do that. School employees should not abandon students no matter what the circumstances.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Sadysue said:
I disagree, if the girl got hurt playing or something the day before, it's possible her mother did not know. I used to keep stuff like that from my parents all the time for fear I would get in trouble or have to go to the doctor. That bus driver was wrong to do that. School employees should not abandon students no matter what the circumstances.
Her mom knew she was hurt. She even stated that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
“It just made me mad to think about it,” Miranda said. “I don't get to play outdoor sports and do anything and it’s just not fair.”

Miranda Richardson said she hates not being able to stand on her own two feet, but her mother feels like, at 11, she shouldn't have to.
Hello.

The Mom sounds like a lazy POS and she's teaching her daughter to be the same way. The bus driver was in the wrong for just driving off and leaving a hurt kid laying on the sidewalk but I will suggest that the kid is a PITA and the driver was all out of patience and sympathy.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
Hello.

The Mom sounds like a lazy POS and she's teaching her daughter to be the same way. The bus driver was in the wrong for just driving off and leaving a hurt kid laying on the sidewalk but I will suggest that the kid is a PITA and the driver was all out of patience and sympathy.
She wasn't laying there hurt, she was standing (wasn't she?) when the bus driver asked "Are you getting on the bus?" To which she answered, "NO" Smart bus driver if you ask me.. he gets off the bus and touches her.. sued for inapropriatte touching.. or SUED for leaving the bus unattended when one of the other passengers decides to take it for a ride when he gets off to help her.. SUED for injuring the child when she tells her parents the driver helped her on the bus and made the injury worse. OR he sits there and waits, with all the kids on the bus while she sits and cries... It was a no win for him/her, and I'm thinking they did the right thing.

In the end he may lose his job, but at least he keeps his home..

Yep, parents need to take responsibilty for this one..

itsbob said:
She wasn't laying there hurt, she was standing (wasn't she?) when the bus driver asked "Are you getting on the bus?" To shich she answered, "NO" Smart bus driver if you ask me.. he gets off the bus and touches her.. sued for inapropriatte touching.. or SUED for leaving the bus unattended when one of the other passengers decides to take it for a ride when he gets off to help her.. SUED for injuring the child when she tells her parents the driver helped her on the bus and made the injury worse. OR he sits there and waits, with all the kids on the bus while she sits and cries... It was a no win for him/her, and I'm thinking they did the right thing.

I agree it wasn't the bus drivers responsibility and it also sounds like the mom should have never put her child in this position to begin with, I'm thinking if her hip dislocates that easily this is not something new to the mom or the girl, but I am upset at the thought of that 11 girl having to stay there in pain until someone finds her. I doubt she was able to walk back home with a dislocated hip. :frown:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Just an observation..........but isn't this the second story issue, where a parent left their child alone in uncertain situation?

Earlier, a thread was posted concerning a father and son, who were feeding a dog in the backyard; the father went inside, and the dog attacked and killed a 6 year old boy.

Seems to me both parents should have monitored each of their children a bit more.......

JMHO.

Gwydion

itsbob said:
She wasn't laying there hurt, she was standing (wasn't she?) when the bus driver asked "Are you getting on the bus?" To which she answered, "NO" Smart bus driver if you ask me.. he gets off the bus and touches her.. sued for inapropriatte touching.. or SUED for leaving the bus unattended when one of the other passengers decides to take it for a ride when he gets off to help her.. SUED for injuring the child when she tells her parents the driver helped her on the bus and made the injury worse. OR he sits there and waits, with all the kids on the bus while she sits and cries... It was a no win for him/her, and I'm thinking they did the right thing.

In the end he may lose his job, but at least he keeps his home..

100% dead on. Its disgusting how easily people are suing over things.....hell for all we know, the mom could have worked out every scenario like itsbob just did and had a lawyer standing by to sue the hell out of the bus driver and the school.

When I was in middle school, our bus driver came to a complete stop at every house for EXACTLY 10 seconds. If you were not on the bus, you missed it. Even if you were 10 feet away frm the bus, that door shut and you had to walk back home and call your parents to drive you.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Gwydion said:
100% dead on. Its disgusting how easily people are suing over things.....hell for all we know, the mom could have worked out every scenario like itsbob just did and had a lawyer standing by to sue the hell out of the bus driver and the school.

When I was in middle school, our bus driver came to a complete stop at every house for EXACTLY 10 seconds. If you were not on the bus, you missed it. Even if you were 10 feet away frm the bus, that door shut and you had to walk back home and call your parents to drive you.

I had to walk a half-mile from my bus stop during the sniper attacks. I think in that instance, special arrangements should have been made :shrug:

The parent in this case needs a good wake-up :smack:

If she knew the kid was injured, she should've been there. I think, since part of the issue was getting ON the bus, the bus driver had an obligation to report that. At the same time, she was reluctant to get on the bus. Not his responsibility to MAKE her get on.

PsyOps

Pixelated
In today's world what parent, in the right mind, would leave their 11 year old kid at a bus stop alone? Answer, parents expect someone else to watch their kid while they skate off to work or take care of whatever business.

My mom was a school bus driver for over 30 years in PG and this was one of her biggest complaints was kids (at very young ages) alone at bus stops, running loose, causing all sorts of problems. Hmmm... Remember the Ownby story? 13 year old boy gets off bus (no parents to ensure their safety) and the boy is kidnapped.

Back in the day my mom would have done what she could help this child but in today's world if she had and her hand slipped and that girl REALLY hurt herself... well I don't even want to imagine the lawsuits. IT'S THE PARENT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE THEIR OWN KIDS GETS ON AND OFF THE BUS SAFELY; no one else.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PsyOps said:
In today's world what parent, in the right mind, would leave their 11 year old kid at a bus stop alone?
Are you for real? 11 years old is middle-school age. This is why kids are so retarded these days - because they're treated like retards. When I was 11, I walked to and from school unsupervised AND I caught the city bus and went downtown without a babysitter. Hell, I WAS a babysitter.

There is no "today's world" - it's the same world it's always been. We just hear about this stuff more because we have access to more information.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
itsbob said:
She wasn't laying there hurt, she was standing (wasn't she?) when the bus driver asked "Are you getting on the bus?" To which she answered, "NO"
That's not what I read:

“I put my bad leg on the step and pushed down, and it slid, not completely off the step, but it slid and I took my foot down because I felt something pop,”she said.

Miranda said she grabbed the mailbox and was already in tears.

“Then the bus driver said, ‘Are you going to get on the bus?’ And I said, ‘No. It hurts. It hurts.’ He shut the door and drove off and left me,” she said.
So you're saying that if a kid gets hurt at the bus stop, the driver should just leave them there and has no responsibility to try and help them or at least *call* for help???

If that were my kid, we'd be talking about a lawsuit.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
That's not what I read:

So you're saying that if a kid gets hurt at the bus stop, the driver should just leave them there and has no responsibility to try and help them or at least *call* for help???

If that were my kid, we'd be talking about a lawsuit.
And I'm sure that's what her parents are thinking too.. that's why they went to the press..

So if she wasn't standing, how did she grab the mailbox??

AND she was already hurt, "put weight on my bad leg"..

Bottom line, bus driver is a bus driver.. not an EMT, he did his job, the parents failed at theirs..

PsyOps

Pixelated
vraiblonde said:
Are you for real? 11 years old is middle-school age. This is why kids are so retarded these days - because they're treated like retards. When I was 11, I walked to and from school unsupervised AND I caught the city bus and went downtown without a babysitter. Hell, I WAS a babysitter.

There is no "today's world" - it's the same world it's always been. We just hear about this stuff more because we have access to more information.
You seem to be in denial that this is a more dangerous world than when you and I grew up. Again I use the Ownby kidnapping as an example. I know this has a "retard" (I really hate that word) effect on our kids but we have to keep them safe. I don't like it any more than you do but I would rather have a "retard" for kid than a dead one. just for the record I have a very NORMAL kid despite your "retard" charge.

The other side to that is these kids are left at bus stops with no supervision and they cause fights, throw rocks and sticks at other kids, etc... When there is a parent (i.e. me) there to stop the problem the next day you have that kid's parent suddenly interested in their kid, at the bus stop the next day, threatening you for trying to discipline their out-of-control kid. It's absolutely insane. So I just told my kid, the next time this kid does this, hit him and hit him hard. What other choice do you have?