Hypp

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
N/H carries one gene...the horse is HYPP positive...you need to watch the diet etc..he can have fits....if bred there is a 50/50 chance the foal will be N/H if you have an H/H horse then the baby will be N/H if bred to an N/N horse..

Basically an N/H horse is positive and you must treat them accordingly..POTASSIUM IS THE ENEMY ...all hay is high in potassium (K) if hay is given it should be soaked for an hour and drained before feeding..beet pulp is low in grain NO sugars like sweet feed or molassas...

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
blueeyedangel said:
What does HYPP N/H on a horses papers mean?
I know P/P and N/N, but N/H?

It is not P/P and N/N it is H/H and N/N

a H/H stud and an N/N mare will have a H/N foal every time....

Do research if you have a N/H horse you must take precautions.

Keep Kyro on hand for fits...

NO red salt block..NO electolites...

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Phyxius said:
N/H means they are heterozygous for HYPP.

fancy words for what I said..this is a kid Phyxius I am trying to expain in other terms..and let her know if she has an N/H horse what needs to be done and addressed..

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Pasofever said:
fancy words for what I said..this is a kid Phyxius I am trying to expain in other terms..and let her know if she has an N/H horse what needs to be done and addressed..

How the heck was I to know it was a kid? :huggy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Phyxius said:
How the heck was I to know it was a kid? :huggy:

You did not...I just want people to know with HYPP it is serious and there are things that can be done for it..if not they will kill the horse (heart attack as the heart is a muscle) or it will end up having a fit with someone on it and get hurt...

blueeyedangel

Thanks alot.
I definitely didn't know that.
We were looking at another horse, and saw that on her papers and we didn't know what it meant, so I don't think we'll be buying her now. I don't want a high maintence horse as far as health goes.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Pasofever said:
You did not...I just want people to know with HYPP it is serious and there are things that can be done for it..if not they will kill the horse (heart attack as the heart is a muscle) or it will end up having a fit with someone on it and get hurt...

Ohhh, remind me on Tuesday to send you a link. I have it in my work e-mail. It'll make a believer out of ANYONE that HYPP is SERIOUS. Scary stuff.

I knew someone with an HYPP N/H gelding and he had one episode, to their knowledge and it scared the crap out of them, but it was minor compared to the video. And, he was on a special diet.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Phyxius said:
Ohhh, remind me on Tuesday to send you a link. I have it in my work e-mail. It'll make a believer out of ANYONE that HYPP is SERIOUS. Scary stuff.

I knew someone with an HYPP N/H gelding and he had one episode, to their knowledge and it scared the crap out of them, but it was minor compared to the video. And, he was on a special diet.

That is the video of the down mare with a foal??

Carefulone

I showed halter horses for years, the gene comes from the Impressive line and yes diet helps, but not perpetuating the line would help remove it. The quarter horse association chastises people who breed without thought of the bettering the breed. Kind of like some in the Rocky world who say they're looking out for the good of the breed and breed chocolate to chocolate with no thought of the possibility of ASD, they may gait, one of the top chocolate stallions is ASD positive, and the people breed him to anything chocolate they can get their hands on....chocolate sells....doesn't matter that the horses can be poorly sited...or covered in cataracts....some breeders are actually horse traders, don't you think....
Don't mean to scare the young person looking for answers, but better to know. She can always call the association about the background of the mare and stallion.

Carefulone

I, by the way have a Rocky I adore, but has cataracts....and parrot mouth, from his sire....another perpetuating of a genetic defect, people know to stay clear of the line, but yet it's desirable....just to get chocolate....

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Carefulone said:
The quarter horse association chastises people who breed without thought of the bettering the breed. Kind of like some in the Rocky world who say they're looking out for the good of the breed and breed chocolate to chocolate with no thought of the possibility of ASD, they may gait, one of the top chocolate stallions is ASD positive, and the people breed him to anything chocolate they can get their hands on....chocolate sells....doesn't matter that the horses can be poorly sited...or covered in cataracts.

Regarding the chocolate to chocolate comment you made, breeding to an ASD stallion, people need to EDUCATE themselves. I would most certainly use an ASD stallion (on mares who have the correct color genes), and am in fact actually LOOKING for an ASD stallion prospect. I found one...and sadly just this morning his pre-purchase exam bloodwork found out he has west nile. :frown:

I have spent a LOT of time researching this very issue, talking to geneticists, color experts etc. and have learned a LOT over the last year and a half. Breeding chocolate to chocolate is NOT the issue. Breeding Double silvers - the silver gene only effects the black color making it chocolate colored - HAS been linked to ASD.

You don't know if a horse has the double silver dilute unless DNA studies have been done on the animal. PERIOD. It's the same with HYPP. Doubling up on double HYPP horses is a death warrant the same as doubling up on double silver horses (homozygous animals) is setting yourself up for a 25% chance of an ASD foal (and it's not lethal or dominant like HYPP is).

Therefore, you have to also understand the nature of ASD. It's not ASD that is the problem, it's the other conditions associated with eye disorders, in particular, detached retinas which make the eyes bulgy, etc. I have attached an excellent article on the subject.

Additionally, you CAN get that lovely chocolate color and NOT have the silver gene involved. I have a gorgeous Chocolate Palamino mare, who carries the sooty gene, and looks like a chocolate horse. I know she doesn't carry silver. She'd DNA'd. Check this website out: http://www.mindspring.com/~morgans/silvermorgans.htm
The morgan people are doing a ton of research too.

With HYPP i'm sure they'll say the same thing as this silver issue. It's risky to breed H/N to H/N, but to breed H/N to N/N or H/H to N/N, I'd do it IF the parents offered something else valuable to the gene pool. Educate, don't alienate. You have to look at the horse's parents and grandparent HYPP status, and have the horse itself checked for symptoms. :biggrin:

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Attachments

• ASD & SD.pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Carefulone said:
I, by the way have a Rocky I adore, but has cataracts....and parrot mouth, from his sire....another perpetuating of a genetic defect, people know to stay clear of the line, but yet it's desirable....just to get chocolate....
I'd like to see your horse's parentage. What is it's registered name? I assume this is a registered Rocky from certified to breed parents?

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
happyappygirl said:
I found one...and sadly just this morning his pre-purchase exam bloodwork found out he has west nile. :frown:

:howdy: Happy! I take it this is the new horse you were going to get? Was this horse showing any signs that made you suspect West Nile or were you just having the Pre purchase exam bloodwork done as a precaution?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
mygoldnhorse said:
:howdy: Happy! I take it this is the new horse you were going to get? Was this horse showing any signs that made you suspect West Nile or were you just having the Pre purchase exam bloodwork done as a precaution?
Having the pre-purchase done as a precaution...since he (was) going to be my stallion prospect, and is suppose to be homozygous (double) silver, i had the vet go in and do a complete exam on him, I wanted to know his eye/vision status BEFORE i wrote that big 'ole check (THANK GOODNESS). I got the call this morning. I'm pretty bummed...he had everything i wanted. I believe they are going to put him down. :frown: They just don't do a lot of vaccinating out there for some reason. Thanks for asking. :huggy:

Cowgirl

happyappygirl said:
Regarding the chocolate to chocolate comment you made, breeding to an ASD stallion, people need to EDUCATE themselves. I would most certainly use an ASD stallion (on mares who have the correct color genes), and am in fact actually LOOKING for an ASD stallion prospect. I found one...and sadly just this morning his pre-purchase exam bloodwork found out he has west nile. :frown:

I have spent a LOT of time researching this very issue, talking to geneticists, color experts etc. and have learned a LOT over the last year and a half. Breeding chocolate to chocolate is NOT the issue. Breeding Double silvers - the silver gene only effects the black color making it chocolate colored - HAS been linked to ASD.

You don't know if a horse has the double silver dilute unless DNA studies have been done on the animal. PERIOD. It's the same with HYPP. Doubling up on double HYPP horses is a death warrant the same as doubling up on double silver horses (homozygous animals) is setting yourself up for a 25% chance of an ASD foal (and it's not lethal or dominant like HYPP is).

Therefore, you have to also understand the nature of ASD. It's not ASD that is the problem, it's the other conditions associated with eye disorders, in particular, detached retinas which make the eyes bulgy, etc. I have attached an excellent article on the subject.

Additionally, you CAN get that lovely chocolate color and NOT have the silver gene involved. I have a gorgeous Chocolate Palamino mare, who carries the sooty gene, and looks like a chocolate horse. I know she doesn't carry silver. She'd DNA'd. Check this website out: http://www.mindspring.com/~morgans/silvermorgans.htm
The morgan people are doing a ton of research too.

With HYPP i'm sure they'll say the same thing as this silver issue. It's risky to breed H/N to H/N, but to breed H/N to N/N or H/H to N/N, I'd do it IF the parents offered something else valuable to the gene pool. Educate, don't alienate. You have to look at the horse's parents and grandparent HYPP status, and have the horse itself checked for symptoms. :biggrin:

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

So, long story short, are you saying you would breed a horse that carries a known genetic defect? How about we focus on breeding horses that are genetically healthy so we can eliminate those genetic defects?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Cowgirl said:
So, long story short, are you saying you would breed a horse that carries a known genetic defect? How about we focus on breeding horses that are genetically healthy so we can eliminate those genetic defects?
Did you READ the article i posted? The RMHA is a small registry, and it's books are closing in Nov to grade animals. If we eliminate all those who have double silver from it's gene pool, we will loose the breed.

ASD itself causes no discomfort or ill effects on the horse, nor is it progressive. It's the other things that cause problems.

Hence, we need to do the responsible thing and check the animals we breed, know their vision/eye status, and breed responsibly.

100% of the chocolate and white stallions, and many other colors in the breed today ARE either ASD or have ASD cysts related to the syndrome. So in short, YES I would. And I do NOT accept the title of "breeder" lightly.

Cowgirl

happyappygirl said:
Did you READ the article i posted? The RMHA is a small registry, and it's books are closing in Nov to grade animals. If we eliminate all those who have double silver from it's gene pool, we will loose the breed.

ASD itself causes no discomfort or ill effects on the horse, nor is it progressive. It's the other things that cause problems.

Hence, we need to do the responsible thing and check the animals we breed, know their vision/eye status, and breed responsibly.

100% of the chocolate and white stallions, and many other colors in the breed today ARE either ASD or have ASD cysts related to the syndrome. So in short, YES I would. And I do NOT accept the title of "breeder" lightly.

Happy, I did not read the article. I'm not familiar with ASD, but my comments were referring to your comments on HYPP.