Looking for insulation installer

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
We got a couple of quotes for blown in fiberglass insulation for the attic over the garage conversion, one from Deans Lumber and one from AI Insulation. Anyone used either of them and have an opinion (I know - stupid quetion to ask from this forum crowd :lmao: ) or have another company to recommend?

WHICHWAYISUP?

mmm pizza
Aerogal said:
We got a couple of quotes for blown in fiberglass insulation for the attic over the garage conversion, one from Deans Lumber and one from AI Insulation. Anyone used either of them and have an opinion (I know - stupid quetion to ask from this forum crowd :lmao: ) or have another company to recommend?

I used A1 Insulation a couple of years ago and they did a great job. How ever I have nothing to compare them to.

Aerogal said:

My house already had blown insulation in the attic when I bought it, but it was cellulose based, not fiberglass. It works fine, but it tends to be a bit dusty up there and you tend to drag it out and track it thru the house. Also a bit tough working thru if you want to run new wires.

Cletus_Vandam

Not sure if it's an option to you, but the Lowes in California used to have a hopper type of blower that could blow in the insulation and you rent it and do it yourself.

Could be an opportunity to save a few bucks and make sure you are getting exactly what you want.

One word of caution, make sure you have eave baffles installed to allow the air to circulate up from the eave and out through the ridge or gable vents. If you don't have the venting or allow the insulation to pack into the eaves without the baffles you are running the risk of having condensation problems.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
We wanted fiberglass like the rest of the house attic. Loose in the attic seems to work well. We're big on DIY but don't want to work with the stuff. I'd rather pay a professional for this job. Thanks for your feed back everyone. (I thought A1 would be okay to use but wasn't sure. Too bad they don't have a page/link for contractor/services referrals.

Baywatchv8

Cletus_Vandam said:
Not sure if it's an option to you, but the Lowes in California used to have a hopper type of blower that could blow in the insulation and you rent it and do it yourself.

Could be an opportunity to save a few bucks and make sure you are getting exactly what you want.

One word of caution, make sure you have eave baffles installed to allow the air to circulate up from the eave and out through the ridge or gable vents. If you don't have the venting or allow the insulation to pack into the eaves without the baffles you are running the risk of having condensation problems.

They still have the Hopper, I was in there yesterday.

dn0121

Anyone use the stuff from Lowes? I've been thinking about going that route, but how much of a mess does the machine make? I would be in the attic while my GF is dumping the insulation into the hopper.

justme83

Dean Lumber was at my house yesterday morning putting insulation in my crawl space. They did a good job and didn't cost very much.

dn0121

Dean Lumber was at my house yesterday morning putting insulation in my crawl space. They did a good job and didn't cost very much.

Yea their quote was only $100 more then I could do it for myself. The only benefit of doing it myself is I know I will put it where I need it. Dean did seem like they would do a good job though, and I like the product they use better then the Cocoon at Lowes.

Last edited:

justme83

That's why I went with them too. They were about $120 over the DIY costs. I wasn't sure if they did it right because they were only at my house for a little over an hour. Fiance came home to inspect and was very pleased with the work.