Tank sizing

Cowgirl

I need to bring my 5 goldfish in for the winter. My pond isn't deep enough to keep them outside. They are probably 1.5-2" long. Is the ration 1 gallon per inch of fish? :confused: I can't remember. Would they be alright in a 10 gallon tank for the winter?

K

Kain99

You could just heat the pond. They will be fine in 10 gallons

Cowgirl

Kain99 said:
You could just heat the pond. They will be fine in 10 gallons

I think it would be too expensive to heat the pond. I ran a water-trough heater one winter, and it was amazingly expensive!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Cowgirl said:
Thanks Chasey. Unfortunately, my pond is not deep enough to prevent it from freezing to the bottom. I haven't measured it, but I dont' think it's even 18" deep. :ohwell: I'm wondering what to do with my plants....because I think they'll freeze too.
Is there some sort of heater you could purchase specifically for outdoor ponds?

Cowgirl

Chasey_Lane said:
Is there some sort of heater you could purchase specifically for outdoor ponds?

I'm sure there is. The website you linked said to use a floating livestock water heater...but those take so much electricity to run. I would rather just bring the fish in and buy new plants next year. It's probably still cheaper. :lol:

MightyWarMonger

I supose 10 gall tank would do but bigger is always beter espesaly since gold fish produce a very high bio load on a tank matinace on a 10 gall will be high.